Radman500's Avatar Senior Member

will Edward's combat feel different then Connor's

do you think Ed's combat will feel different then his grandson was...

Connor was a wolf, very fast and skilled with the mohawk, will Edward be similar with the 2 swords or do you think it will feel different

i remember reading that combat in AC4 will be more challenging

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    TBH I found all the combat systems in the franchise to be identical in terms of the core feel and flow...maybe thats just my experience....

itsamea-mario's Avatar Senior Member
    They'll probably use the same combat mechanic, just touched up a little, with some added features and stuff.

silvermercy's Avatar AC Expert
    This video showcases the differences if fighting style between Connor and Haytham.
    I guess it's possible that Edward will be something in between.

Here's the description from the video:
    "Both can wield a sword, but the way they use it and the Hidden Blade differs greatly.
    Haytham is obviously trained in european fencing techniques. He uses alot of thrusts, and his attacks are elegant, focused and he tends to aim right at weak points for the kill.

He uses his Hidden Blade mostly to only stab his opponents vital points, but since he borrows some animations meant for Connor, he also will sometimes use it as a left hand dagger.

Connor uses the Sword and Hidden Blade differently. Since he apparently was not taught classic fencing, when he gets ahold of a sword, he uses his strength to drive the sword, not technique. He uses it in a brutal, yet acrobatic fashion, slashing, ripping, stabbing, kicking and even headbutting his enemies in all sorts of places. Connor seems to incorporate brawling into all weapon styles he uses. Unlike Haytham, Connor uses his Hidden Blade to slash as well as stab, since his has a pivot function".

shobhit7777777's Avatar Senior Member
    I liked Ezio's style a lot....and really liked how it went from a Connor-ish improvisational street brawler style to a more refined balletic swinging angel of death in ACR

Edward IMO is going to bring Altair and Haytham's straightforward attacks with a focus on expediency coupled with Connor's strength and incorporate a LOT of Ezio's underhanded techniques and sneak attacks

Soulid_Snake's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm kinda hoping the combat goes back to pre-AC3, I just didn't like AC3 combat, though I doubt this will happen.

Perk89's Avatar Senior Member
    AC3 was a pretty big leap forward for the series combat wise so I don't aspect they change, though I do think they will make minor improvements such as dual wielding.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Supposedly they're changing up how you can chain gun kills into your sword combos to kill many enemies quickly. I heard one of the devs mention it was necessary to be skilled at this if you're trying a board a ship head-on.

I'm expecting and hoping that they will continue to develop the combat system introduced in 3. It's a fine system that just needs a bit more variety and depth, and a sequel is the right place to deliver that obv. From the trailers it looks like you can pick up bottles/pieces of wood and use. Why you would do that when you have a sword + hidden blade in each hand and has not yet been fully explained . It could be cool though, I don't really care if it make sense. Ropedart will be back and so I guess the "GET OVER HERE!" move will be back. Hopefully we can quickfire ropedart/pistols and don't have to actively switch between them, which is a bit clumsy.

I hope there is a better system for double counters. In AC3 it's great when two players attack at once since you get to kill both for free (even jaegers and heavy guards). That is silly. The more enemies attack at once the harder it should be of course. I think I read on Kotaku that we can now control the direction we evade. I interpret that as some kind of move has implemented for repositioning Edward in flow, which again would be very welcome.

Overall I like the fundamental system in AC3 and I just hope they can take it to the next level.

From the trailers it looks like you can pick up bottles/pieces of wood and use. Why you would do that when you have a sword + hidden blade in each hand and has not yet been fully explained
    Unarmed combat when you don't want to kill. It was the same thing in AC3. You would counter with bottles, tables and other stuff if near them.

Although, what really defeated the purpose of that, is that some double counter moves when unarmed featured killing enemies with their own weapons.

And while I adore the choreography of double counters in AC3 (and the window for double counter is actually not that big, even I sometimes miss it), I agree that something has to be done with them.