ace3001's Avatar Senior Member

Edward Kenway

I figured it might be time to start a topic about this guy. Not about the game or what it'll be, but about Edward Kenway, and what we know about him. Yes, the strong hatred he's receiving from the "fanbase" is a reason for me wanting this discussion. I'd like to ask you guys that hate on him: Why do you think he's going to be like Ezio?

As for me, like Blackbeard said, I consider the man to be mysterious. Any concrete info we have of him is what's in the book, Assassin's Creed: Forsaken. However, in that book, he's made out to be (in Haytham's most probably biased point of view, of course) an "honorable man" type rather than a playboy.

And then there's the whole thing about Assassins publicly being pirates. I can't help but feel there's something of a more-than-meets-the-eye nature there. What the Assassins protect to fight is freedom, and as such, they won't be taking away others' freedom (of those who're not Templars, obviously) to travel and trade in the seas by being pirates. So there must be a reason why they're being pirates, flying a flag with the Assassin logo publicly. They must have some agenda that Edward Kenway is carrying out.

The above and the image of him built up in Forsaken makes me feel that he is going to be a stoic badass similar to Altair. Of course, I could be entirely wrong. But if any of you think so, then why? Cause as far as the "player" image goes, my opinion is that this alone is not enough to brand him one.

(And please, let's have a civilized discussion?)

Radman500's Avatar Senior Member
    he could possibly be the most mysterious out of all the protags so far

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    He'll be different than Ezio in that he's more mysterious and possibly more brash, which reminds me of Altair. He also was, as the novel puts it, an honorable fellow which again is an Altair-like quality. He also "may" (because I'm still not convinced) be a womanizer but he isn't as easygoing as Ezio was. I won't be surprised if the game depicts him as a violent individual.

His fighting reminds me of Connor on the other hand, as does his face but better not put too much emphasis on the latter.

In a nutshell I see him as a combination of Altair, Ezio and Connor.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    I don't hate him. I hate Ubisoft for taking the easy path. It`s just my deduction that he`ll be a lady`s man...Trailers highlight Features, gameplay and/or Protagonists.

That`s what this trailer did. 2 naked ladies in bed with Edward leaving....He`s into Women..No reason to show it other than service and highlight...do you think this really has no relevance ?

I`d like to be proven wrong...

itsamea-mario's Avatar Senior Member
    I like him.
    So what, he had sex, i'd rather that than him having some pent up hormonal stress. And if he can please two women at once, good for him.

I don't really see the contradiction with piracy and being an assassin. Being a pirate doesn't mean he has to kill innocents and sell slaves. He could spend his time attacking Naval vessels and other pirates, freeing slaves instead. That's his day job, then there's his secret life, an elite member of an ancient order, sworn to uphold justice, protect the innocent and ensure all are free. By stabbing dudes in the neck.

Privateering is his job. Piracy his hobby. Assassination his duty.

Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    I don't hate him. I hate Ubisoft for taking the easy path. It`s just my deduction that he`ll be a lady`s man...Trailers highlight Features, gameplay and/or Protagonists.

That`s what this trailer did. 2 naked ladies in bed with Edward leaving....He`s into Women..No reason to show it other than service and highlight...do you think this really has no relevance ?

I`d like to be proven wrong...
    It has relevance in the sense that he had sex. So what of it? What I see it as is something thrown into the trailer by Ubisoft to excite prepubescent fans and sell a few more copies. I doubt there'd be any actual sex in the game. My point is that we can't label him as a bad character simply cause he had sex. I don't see the logic in it.

Originally Posted by itsamea-mario Go to original post
    I like him.
    So what, he had sex, i'd rather that than him having some pent up hormonal stress. And if he can please two women at once, good for him.

I don't really see the contradiction with piracy and being an assassin. Being a pirate doesn't mean he has to kill innocents and sell slaves. He could spend his time attacking Naval vessels and other pirates, freeing slaves instead. That's his day job, then there's his secret life, an elite member of an ancient order, sworn to uphold justice, protect the innocent and ensure all are free. By stabbing dudes in the neck.

Privateering is his job. Piracy his hobby. Assassination his duty.
    That could work. But see the fact that his ship flies a flag with the Assassin logo on it. Meaning the Assassin order is involved in his acts of piracy.

PandaPuff86's Avatar Member
    I'll reserve my thoughts on the man until I play AC4. Until then the only question I have about him is this: What is his purpose and what exactly does he have to do with what's going on in the present?

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    We always know the marketing team twists things. How many of us got the America Fk yeah! vibe from AC3 trailers? And how was it in the game? Thats because that team spun the facts in their own advantage. Same here. Obviously the reason to show those ladies is because they wanna attract people. Doesn't mean it has to be the same in the game. by the way, we don't see Edward "in bed with the ladies". We just see him walking past a bed with them.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by kolitha.kuruppu Go to original post
    It has relevance in the sense that he had sex. So what of it? What I see it as is something thrown into the trailer by Ubisoft to excite prepubescent fans and sell a few more copies. I doubt there'd be any actual sex in the game. My point is that we can't label him as a bad character simply cause he had sex. I don't see the logic in it.
    I did not label him as a bad character. Just the easy path type of Character...

It`s overdone. The tough guy badass who woos ladies....I`m not into it...

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... Last ►►