SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    I really couldn't give a rat's behind about the random crew members on my ship, at least unless my character is actually able to leave the wheel now and then and roam around talking to them.

The problem with pirate games that are supposed to be at least semi-realistic is that in the real world, boat trips used to take a long, long time. Even in a game where time is sped up considerably, you'd still be stuck in the same, dull environment with not much to do but walk up and down the stairs a lot and talk to random people you may or may not care about. We already got a taste of this during Haytham's journey to America. You were free to roam the ship, but there was nothing to do but play board games. Even if you got to upgrade your ship, I still can't imagine it looking all that different from what it's meant to be: a wet, claustrophobic, colorless, nauseatingly swaying piece of wood.

UrDeviant1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I really couldn't give a rat's behind about the random crew members on my ship, at least unless my character is actually able to leave the wheel now and then and roam around talking to them.

The problem with pirate games that are supposed to be at least semi-realistic is that in the real world, boat trips used to take a long, long time. Even in a game where time is sped up considerably, you'd still be stuck in the same, dull environment with not much to do but walk up and down the stairs a lot and talk to random people you may or may not care about. We already got a taste of this during Haytham's journey to America. You were free to roam the ship, but there was nothing to do but play board games. Even if you got to upgrade your ship, I still can't imagine it looking all that different from what it's meant to be: a wet, claustrophobic, colorless, nauseatingly swaying piece of wood.
    Yeah, this is one things that's worrying me about the potential to free-roam with the ship. Sure you could have random events but if the distances you travel are quite far then i can see them getting tedious. They're gonna have to be a bit more creative when it comes to having stuff to do on/around the ship.

Radman500's Avatar Senior Member
    it be cool if we could maintain our own pirate crew.....

i also wonder if blackbeard will be an ally or enemy of edward?

Originally Posted by UrDeviant1 Go to original post
    Yeah, this is one things that's worrying me about the potential to free-roam with the ship. Sure you could have random events but if the distances you travel are quite far then i can see them getting tedious. They're gonna have to be a bit more creative when it comes to having stuff to do on/around the ship.
    Well i think with the ship if you just want to get to land you can use it as fast travel and they've already showed that ships arent the most realistic in the world and another thing could be if your
    board of the big ship using smaller dinghy's or sail boats to get around faster. ( yeah i know not amazingly realistic as well, but c'mon they can be alowed to take some creative freedom|) or hell they might just have a overworld mode like sid miers pirates (do not want)

Will_Lucky's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Are you kidding? That would be freaking awesome, assuming you could upgrade it and the crewmen were real characters. One of the disappointments of AC3 was that the crew, while vital, seemed to kind of pop up out of nowhere and disappear just as quickly, and Connor didn't really know any of them aside from Faulkner and the Clutterbucks.
    Honestly, I'm hoping for some sort of Skies of Arcadia feel with the ship if possible.

Some minigames on the ship would be cool. Just like the first sequence in AC3 with Haytham.

TorQue1988's Avatar Senior Member
    Uncensored version:

RzaRecta357's Avatar Senior Member
    Really hope we get to see Agates mentor!

Originally Posted by TheHumanTowel Go to original post
    Worried about Darby McDevitt. ACR was full of dumb action moments like blowing up the harbour and Cappodoccia and that absurd parachute chase. Let's hope he's a little more restrained this time. I really really really hope there's a lot of targets. Please make the assassinations take centre stage again. Playing some AC3 again and good lord it could have been so good if the mission design was just better. All the pieces are there Ubi.
    I doubt those big set pieces were mandated by the writers. There's been an obvious decision to try to make AC have these big action moments, starting with the Da Vinci machine missions in Brotherhood and really kicking up in Revelations and continuing to AC3. Each game has had different lead writers, so that decision is obviously coming from higher up and impacts gameplay more than the story. I completely agree, and have not liked those moments ever since Revelations. They feel forced, and worse, the gameplay is completely on rails, which keeps me from appreciating those giant set pieces. Fun gameplay is more about the setup, and what kind of toys you have to create chaos in the game and accomplish your goals (see: Dishonored). In Revelations, I kept feeling like I was just there to sort of point Ezio in the right direction during a movie more than have fun in a cool sandbox, and it was not fun. But I seriously doubt that's Darby McDevitt's fault.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by twenty_glyphs Go to original post
    I doubt those big set pieces were mandated by the writers. There's been an obvious decision to try to make AC have these big action moments, starting with the Da Vinci machine missions in Brotherhood and really kicking up in Revelations and continuing to AC3. Each game has had different lead writers, so that decision is obviously coming from higher up and impacts gameplay more than the story. I completely agree, and have not liked those moments ever since Revelations. They feel forced, and worse, the gameplay is completely on rails, which keeps me from appreciating those giant set pieces. Fun gameplay is more about the setup, and what kind of toys you have to create chaos in the game and accomplish your goals (see: Dishonored). In Revelations, I kept feeling like I was just there to sort of point Ezio in the right direction during a movie more than have fun in a cool sandbox, and it was not fun. But I seriously doubt that's Darby McDevitt's fault.
    ^^ This. Writers aren't the only ones who have a say in the final plot. Darby has said there were lots of things he wanted to explore in Revelations, like having Altaïr visit Constantinople or showing other scenes from the novel, but due to technical limitations or lack of time it just wasn't possible so he had to write the story in a different way.