rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator

3 Guitar Projects Finally Completed

I've had 3 projects setting in the closet, one for over a year, and I finally got them together. It felt good to get them done, and I am really liking 2 of the 3.

1. Charvel Model IV Firecrackle
    2. Ibanez SR300DX Bass
    3. Ibanez S470DX

I'll do a separate post for each one. And add some videos once I get them recorded.

First the one I am liking the most. I always wanted a Firecrackle Charvel, but they were too expensive when I was young and they were popular. I got some parts pretty cheap, so I decided to put one together. These are the parts I've had in the closet for over a year, as I was just not motivated to have another pointy guitar. I am surprised at how much I like it and how non-pointy it sounds.

I put EMGs in it and replaced the JT-6 with an OFR. I put a regular switch in it, in place of the 3 separate toggles. I wanted to keep it more original at first, but then decided to keep the solderless EMG kit in tact. I like it. I just plugged the extra hole, as it will get an active EQ board.

There was not much to replacing the JT-6 lock nut. I just sanded the tross rod cover level with the nut route, drilled a couple of screw holes, made a couple of shims, and screwed the OFR lock nut in place. Oh, and added a string ...um thingy.

Really the lock nut was the worst part of the JT6. The B and E strings always went sharp when clamping them, because of the string angle. With the OFR nut and the string "tree" that is not a problem.

Now the Ibanez bass. It played really well, from the beginning, but I wanted to take it over the top.

It now has a Leo Quan Badass II bridge and EMGs. Once again I just plugged the extra hole, in waiting for an active EQ of some kind. And, yeah, I did the 18v mod, to make sure I have plenty of headroom.

Last on this list is the S470DX. I liked the feel of the bass S series body so much, I wanted to try an S series guitar.

I found this thing on ebay, for less than the ZR trem that is in it were going for.

It came with the original pups, so that is all the mod I did, was put those back. Well and clean it and new strings ... and a intonation ... the saddles were still straight across like it probably came from the factory? You can see 'em in the above pic. May be the first guitar I have ever gotten like that.

I did have to re-craft the tip of the headstock (the decal shows the damage in the pic). The guitar was just thrown in a box without any padding and the headstock had punched throught the side. The only damage was to the very tip, and it was crunched.

Eh, I got the whole guitar for about 1/2 of what the Z series trem sells for, so I just kept it.

It plays great, and is way loud (hot pups?). Easy fret access and the shape of the thin curved body is just perfect. But the fretboard inlays are next to impossible to see. Not a good thing for me. I am gonna have to figure out something to do about that.

Wrathchild68's Avatar Member
    HRGD (happy restored guitar day)

Love the look of the firecrackle one, it looks brilliant.

LvlNinety9's Avatar Senior Member
    Those look sweet as all get out man. I give you some major props on your hard work. It really shows.

Brick235's Avatar Senior Member
    Excellent work RCole. Love seeing your rebuild threads. One day I'll try doing something of my own like this.....maybe.

LvlNinety9's Avatar Senior Member
    Just curious though. Did you buy the Fire piece by piece? Or was it just another rebuild?

Thanks, everyone, I do like to tinker.

LblNinety9, I bought it piece at a time. I had been watching for a body, for some time, and 1 came up. The necks and other parts are easier to find. The case and neck plate decent prices were actually pretty hard to find.

The body was is pretty bad shape. I had to touch it up, and eventually reshot the whole thing with a few coats of clear gloss poly. I didn't wet sand, so a little "orange peel" is still visible in the finish.

But, about the time I got all the pieces another whole one came up, with a case, for about what I spent for all the parts. ....sigh...

I am hoping each of these make an appearance in one of my Rocksmith videos very soon. I am just going to need some easier songs than these last few weeks.

It is the Firecrackle that is not registering the 22nd purple note in Freebird. Man, it plays everything else so nice. I am gonna double check the intonation, I may have it a touch flat.

Here is the body after I shot it with the poly, next to my other Model IV. I still have both. The black one is really heavy. I am surprised at how much lighter the "new" Firecrackle is. With so much the same, it is strange how different each guitar can be.

Here are some before shots, and you can see all the chips I had to fix.

And then the shot with them fixed.

Steamroller52's Avatar Senior Member
    Very nice as usual RCole! I'm looking at inexpensive Ibanezs so I have an axe with 24 jumbo frets for easier soloing, but all the cheaper Ibanezs I like (RG..... fixed bridge) seem to come with EMG 81/85 and I don't know how those pups will sound in RS. I'd like to be able to play more than Megadeath and Pantera with it. How do those EMGs in the Firecrackle sound? Wondering how those EMGs will sound playing non-metal RS songs?