🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game

laptop buying advice

note: I've been using a mac since 1986. I know NOTHING about PCs.

I'm looking for a windows 8 laptop, but my eyes glaze over whenever I start looking at specs.

Any suggestions for a laptop that will run rocksmith would be greatly appreciated. Are there brands I should avoid or look for? Is windows 8 a good choice or should I go with something else w/rocksmith?

thanks!!!

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I always hit the Dell outlet store, and look for the cheapest laptop within my specs. For gaming I think you are going to need a decent graphics card in the laptop. This will push the price up some. Look at the RS minimum graphics card specs, and try to find a laptop with that card or better.

Also some folks seem to be running RS on mac with bootcamp. I know nothing about that.

thanks, that's where I'll start! have you had any problems with Dell in the past?

No. They've all been pretty good. Sometimes the Dell OS load is kinda slow, but a quick reload bypassing all the branding crud speeeds things up. The last couple did not even need reloaded. They were good right from the start.

My son's Inspiron finally went belly up after 5 years of his abuse. That is pretty good.

good to know, thanks again!

are you using windows 8 w/RS

No, I am using Windows 7.

Phalaris99504's Avatar Member
    I did a little checking and found the requirements for Rocksmith. If you haven't found it, you can find it here.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...rements-Forums

Accroding to Black Widdow, the requirements are going to be Windows Vista or Windows 7. Now, that's not to say that it won't run if you get a laptop with Windows 8. You may find that it runs fine, or you may have to get on the forums and speak with Tech Support to tweak the OS so that it runs.

I've been considering getting a new laptop myself, just for Rocksmith. My issue is that I have lots of DLC already on the PS3.

As for laptops. I also like Dell, probably better than others.

Phalaris.

AsianSquirrel's Avatar Junior Member
    You should look into a Lenovo Ideapad Y580. You can find it on sale for around $799. Plays RS real smooth.
    The important thing is the laptop you get should have a dedicated gaming video card.

thanks AS! I'll take a look at the Ideapad Y580. good to know it works well w/RS!

is that Ideapad Y580 running windows 8?