1. #1

    Ubi deserves more praise for the frontier

    The more I run around in the frontier the more impressed I get. Ubi has really done something extraordinary with this climbable frontier. I mean many games have beautiful forests (Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Crysis are some of them), but none come even close to being this interactive. I think many developers have believed it to be imposssible. A forest just has too many irregular shapes for it to work and at the same time look natural. Well the geniuses at UBi figured it out.

    By identifying some key shapes (like the 'V' and the 'Crack') and having the right amount of restrictions on the player they were able to pull it off. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Nothing innovative is ever perfect. But it's the best anyone has ever done by far. Think about all the genres and games that would benefit from a similar system. Fantasy, Medieval, Guerilla warfare etc. This is a breakthrough and Ubi deserves a ton more credit than what they have got for it.

    I think one of the reasons people are not as impressed as they should be is that it feels so simple and natural in hindsight. But if you think about what existed before and what others have been able to achieve it's clear that it was far from simple. Taking something as complex as a forest and make the abstraction to figure out what type of shapes you need to recreate it in a videogame is just brilliant and the greatest achievement in 2012!

    BTW I will never be able to look at a tree in the same way again. I just keep seeing all those V-shapes that I never noticed before !
    Share this post

  2. #2
    AjinkyaParuleka's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai,India.
    Posts
    779
    Originally Posted by Sushiglutton Go to original post
    BTW I will never be able to look at a tree in the same way again. I just keep seeing all those V-shapes that I never noticed before !
    This lol,I am now notifying trees which were climbing,I deemed them unclimbable before ACIII.And weird thing...I didn't encounter a bug o.O
    Share this post

  3. #3
    pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    8,260
    I just love tree-running thru the frontier. Especially during a thundershower. So kudos indeed to Ubi. And yes, I now see those V shapes whenever I see a tree, and I think: where am I gonna jump from there?
    Share this post

  4. #4
    AjinkyaParuleka's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Mumbai,India.
    Posts
    779
    My friend's building has tree which has a V shaped and is climbable...gonna stay in there for a while.And yeah ACIII deserves more...wonder why it didn't got nominated for Best PC games.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by pirate1802 Go to original post
    I just love tree-running thru the frontier. Especially during a thundershower. So kudos indeed to Ubi. And yes, I now see those V shapes whenever I see a tree, and I think: where am I gonna jump from there?
    Yeah the thundershower is amazing . I never get tired of goofing around Blackcreek in the rain. I was lucky enough to have thunder when I assaulted the fort there from the trees. One of the most epic moments ever in AC for me.

    And yeah those V-shapes are driving me nuts. When I look out my windows there are a bunch of trees. And I just keep seeing how perfect it would be to jump from one to the other. But I know that if I tried I would break my legs lol.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Some people don't release just how revolutionary the frontier is. And ubi went the extra mile and made it interactive. Climbing trees and such.

    There is a actual good reason why the game is buggy to some.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    Btw I hope the Brazil rumours are true. Imagine exploring a rainforest as Connor !!!
    Share this post

  8. #8
    MasterAssasin84's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    City of London
    Posts
    2,401
    Originally Posted by Sushiglutton Go to original post
    The more I run around in the frontier the more impressed I get. Ubi has really done something extraordinary with this climbable frontier. I mean many games have beautiful forests (Skyrim, The Witcher 2, Crysis are some of them), but none come even close to being this interactive. I think many developers have believed it to be imposssible. A forest just has too many irregular shapes for it to work and at the same time look natural. Well the geniuses at UBi figured it out.

    By identifying some key shapes (like the 'V' and the 'Crack') and having the right amount of restrictions on the player they were able to pull it off. Is it perfect? No, of course not. Nothing innovative is ever perfect. But it's the best anyone has ever done by far. Think about all the genres and games that would benefit from a similar system. Fantasy, Medieval, Guerilla warfare etc. This is a breakthrough and Ubi deserves a ton more credit than what they have got for it.

    I think one of the reasons people are not as impressed as they should be is that it feels so simple and natural in hindsight. But if you think about what existed before and what others have been able to achieve it's clear that it was far from simple. Taking something as complex as a forest and make the abstraction to figure out what type of shapes you need to recreate it in a videogame is just brilliant and the greatest achievement in 2012!

    BTW I will never be able to look at a tree in the same way again. I just keep seeing all those V-shapes that I never noticed before !

    i am with you , i have said along ubi should be given a pat on the back !! unfortunately you cant please some people .
    Share this post

  9. #9
    pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Delhi, India
    Posts
    8,260
    I certainly hope they don't ditch the forest mechanism in the next game.. so much work to make it happen, and then simply abandon it.. no fair.

    I do hope Connor goes next in an area that has a good amount of forests. Brazil for example xD
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by TrueAssassin77 Go to original post
    Some people don't release just how revolutionary the frontier is. And ubi went the extra mile and made it interactive. Climbing trees and such.

    There is a actual good reason why the game is buggy to some.
    The game is far from perfect and there are plenty of thing you can legitimately criticize. But yeah people focus waaaaaay to much on the negative. Ubi really took a risk with the frontier and it payed off imo. And I agree, I much rather have a risk-taking buggy game, than a safe bugfree game!
    Share this post