Serious misrepresentation of a product (Where is the actual PC version?)

Where is the actual PC version Ubisoft?

Now I am not generally one to bicker and whine but after looking back at some things I am pretty upset with seeing things like this. The E3 stage presentation for Far Cry 3 was a live game demo, the producer was actually playing the game, nothing was pre-rendered such as the demonstrations which were shown for Crysis back in 2007, this is all in real time. Well he's clearly playing the game with a PS3 controller on PC but there is a MASSIVE discrepancy in the entire game world from what was actually delivered.

Obviously the game was running fine but I am more curious as to what Ubisoft has to say on the matter. I still enjoyed the game and it is still beautiful but I don't think I have ever witnessed in my life a greater misrepresentation of what a game actually is. The two look very similar but the E3 version of what is being played is immensely better on all fronts visually. Better effects, much more lush jungle, far more entities, more realistic geometry, rocks and tessellation everywhere, considerably better looking under water environment, overall it's a substantially better looking product.

I want to know why this is not what we got in the end, it looks 10 fold better than even the current PC version running at maximum settings, it's pretty upsetting and we deserve an explanation.

Here is the E3 demonstration, skip to 2:09

and the actual visual comparison of that versus the final product...

Right click and select view image to see this at full size.

They make it for the E3 demo and rarely does the game look like what they show it as because they do all sorts of image tricks, like downsampling and airbrushing. One thing that they probably do is use a PC version that's setup for the demos then chop it down for the real game because in no way can the game actually look like that on consoles, even the PC version gets cropped since it needs to be the same design as the console version.

It's marketing, nothing more but we know if such games were properly made for the PC they would look much better., since the designs are hindered by console limitations which is mainly memory.

Originally Posted by WrATHZero Go to original post
    They make it for the E3 demo and rarely does the game look like what they show it as because they do all sorts of image tricks, like downsampling and airbrushing. One thing is that they use a PC version that's setup for the demos than chop it down for the real game because in no way can the game actually look like that one consoles, even the PC version gets cropped because it needs to be the same design as the console version.
    Regardless of that it's obviously much better on all accounts and appears to run perfectly fine on dated console hardware. If this was a PC demonstration I would agree with you as they can beef that up beyond belief and make it run nice but on a console it is severely limited and was still able to produce that in real time while being played live. It's like they took that which is perfect and stripped it down then released it, the version we have in comparison is a massive regression, like an alpha build of the game where as the stage demo is what you would expect out of the final product.

They sold us, the consumers on a completely different game and visual experience, again if this was pre-rendered like the Crysis GDC demo was I could understand but this not and is inexcusable and unacceptable.

It's not as good as you think on consoles, they strip back a load of effects, upscale the resolution. Consoles have advantages over PC's and develoeprs can get quite a lot more out of them because of their direct to metal design and pre-set hardware.

My point is that I have doubts that footage was even the the console version. Crytek did something similar playing it on a XBox controller but there was a flash of a Windows desktop in the background on one of ther Crysis 2 demos, claiming it was the XBox360 version.

Originally Posted by WrATHZero Go to original post
    It's not as good as you think on consoles, they strip back a load of effects, upscale the resolution. Consoles have advantages over PC's and develoeprs can get quite a lot more out of them because of their direct to metal design and pre-set hardware.

My point is that I have doubts that footage was even the the console version. Crytek did something similar playing it on a XBox controller but there was a flash of a Windows desktop in the background on one of ther Crysis 2 demos, claiming it was the XBox360 version.
    Even then if this is on PC running with a game pad it still grinds my gears that this is what we could be playing as it's clearly, real, capable and actually exists. I wanted to think this was a multi-platform game but that is obviously not the case here...

I know what you mean mate, all games of this type should be Crysis level now but it's not because of crossplatform gaming. it could be time as well, publishers often put pressure on develoeprs to release the game when it's not finished so they cut corners.

I already like Far Cry 3, imagine it if they actually released it like this. And don't ****ing mention Far Cry 4.

Originally Posted by ErwinRumble Go to original post
    I already like Far Cry 3, imagine it if they actually released it like this. And don't ****ing mention Far Cry 4.
    Honestly it's clearly possible that the game could exist and function in that state, I would have waited an extra 6 months to a year and would have paid even more money to have that.

Indeed, I think a lot of PC gamers would wait extra months for a better PC version, I would too because it would look superior. Crytek showed us just what the PC could do with Crysis, OK it scaled about 5 years in hardware terms but it does show you just how far behind games are crossplatform. We'll probably have to wait another 2-3 years before we get next gen console ports without the limitations.

Nyadc - Crysis tech demos were all fully real-time. Most of the presentations were live, and most of them had some kind of a interactive engine showcase right after.

But yes, I also noticed this while playing through- and was very disappointed. A few months, and HUGE downgrades at many, many locations. They could have had layers for objects that are only loaded on the PC, so that we could have had all that densely populated stuff.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... Last ►►