Dude, did you just spend $1000 to fix this issue?!?
    Did you try running everything at stock and upping the voltage to 1100mv? That worked for me and others.

Originally Posted by laerveren Go to original post
    Just posting an update re: upgrade to 690. Went ahead and bought it, and jammed it in. Didn't even change the drivers (310.61 BETA). No issues whatsoever with either Black Ops 2 or AC3, or any other game I have tested. The issue is definitely caused by the Nvidia 500 series cards.

So, if anyone is desperate and nothing will work for you, the 600 series cards should almost certainly fix this issue, as a last resort. It's pretty bad to have to buy a new card just to be able to play, but if you were thinking about upgrading anyway, this makes for a good reason to do so, I guess.

Originally Posted by jesturtz Go to original post
    Dude, did you just spend $1000 to fix this issue?!?
    Did you try running everything at stock and upping the voltage to 1100mv? That worked for me and others.
    No I didn't just spend that amount of money just for this issue.

There were several reasons for me to upgrade at this point; this issue was just one of several. My 580's were suffering from overheating issues and crashing reasonably frequently as they aged, even locking up windows fairly often; furthermore, they were running louder and hotter over time to the point of annoyance. Also, I purchased my 690 on sale with a fairly hefty discount. All of these reasons made a fairly compelling case to upgrade. It was simply the most expedient solution in my case.

This may or may not apply to others, but in my case upgrading made more sense than trying to overvolt my already unstable 580s.

Regardless, I had already purchased the 690 before anyone suggested that fix (had to move fast because they only had one in stock and it was a 24 hour sale).

Same with 9600GT

Exact same problem here with my 9600GT. This issue happens to me even since the AC Brotherhood and with Black Ops. The game runs beautifully for something between 20~30min. and crashes (sometimes with the green artifacts, sometimes to a black screen (which requires a hard reset) and sometimes do the BSOD. I had absolutely no issues when I first played the game (for about 4 hours in sequence).

I reallt dunno what to do or even what is the problem. Just had issues with these Ubisoft games.

Hi there, I had the same problem and it was driving me mad!! No other games have a problem with my MNY GTX580 OC (factory oc'd) until AC3. Tried it on my wife's laptop with a GT330M and worked like a dream, so knew it had to be my PC. I did some investigating and eventually I've managed to get it all working by doing a couple of things.
    1: I dropped the card settings to well below their shipped frequencies (currently 750/1950/1500)
    2: I added a registry entry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDriv ers. I added QWORD value as I'm on Win7 64-bit (DWORD value if using 32-bit) called TDRLevel and set it to 0. This effectively disables the TDR reporting of the nvlddmkm.sys driver failing to respond.
    Since making these changes I've been able to play constantly without any lockups. I think AC3 is quite susceptible to oc'd cards and if the system doesn't get a correct trigger from one of the drivers the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) kicks in and crashes AC3. You can find out more here but I'm glad to say things are now working superbly for me, hope this is helpful to others:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Cheers
    BB

Thanks dudes! Bumping it up to 1100 worked wonders. No crashes at all thus far but we'll wait and see

Maybe this helps somebody

I have a Gigabyte gtx 570. Assassins creed 3 was crashing to desktop every 30 sec to 1 minute in the game. I had a similar problem with Max Payne 3. What i did was flash the video card's BIOS with the latest one (since my card is already almost two years old, the latest bios was from april 2011). Since than both games never crashed and run fine.

yeah this crashed my driver whole screen went white and had to hard reset, so I highly do not recommend this as it did not fix the problem.

Ok somewhat solved it for my ATI 6800 series....tryed uping the volt to 1100 but had no luck still crashed after a couple secs...and then I did the opposite, decreased the mhz below the GPU default and that did the trick....I dropped it to around 750mhz and could play for almost 4 hours at max settings before getting the first crash.

Originally Posted by bladeblunterie Go to original post
    Hi there, I had the same problem and it was driving me mad!! No other games have a problem with my MNY GTX580 OC (factory oc'd) until AC3. Tried it on my wife's laptop with a GT330M and worked like a dream, so knew it had to be my PC. I did some investigating and eventually I've managed to get it all working by doing a couple of things.
    1: I dropped the card settings to well below their shipped frequencies (currently 750/1950/1500)
    2: I added a registry entry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDriv ers. I added QWORD value as I'm on Win7 64-bit (DWORD value if using 32-bit) called TDRLevel and set it to 0. This effectively disables the TDR reporting of the nvlddmkm.sys driver failing to respond.
    Since making these changes I've been able to play constantly without any lockups. I think AC3 is quite susceptible to oc'd cards and if the system doesn't get a correct trigger from one of the drivers the Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) kicks in and crashes AC3. You can find out more here but I'm glad to say things are now working superbly for me, hope this is helpful to others:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...(v=vs.85).aspx
    Cheers
    BB
    Dude, you saved my life! Step 2 have solved it completely! I'm using Windows 8 x 64 Pro with Media Center and now I can play as many hours as I want and no crashes at all!!! Thank you so much!

Originally Posted by Stiler Go to original post
    I have 580 and I was having the constant crashing with the display driver stopped responding error.

I tried updating drivers, cleaning drivers, underclocking my card etc.

After I spent over a day googling around I found this:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-has-recovered

BASically the 580 series are notorious for having their voltage's actually underclocked to the point that it causes them to be unstable in DX11 games.

So using MSI Afterburner I bumped my core voltage up to 1100 (it was default at 1000) and I was able to play AC3 for over 2 hours SOLID after wards.

Prior to this I was luck yto get in 2-5 minutes before it crashed.

Just please be aware, increasing the voltage should be done at your own risk, if you push it too far it CAN damage the card/cause problems, and it will also generate more heat.
    This solved my problem. I have two 570's in SLI and I bumped my voltage up to 1050 from 1000.
    I also want to note that I had fps drops in Boston and in the Frontier (or any other large/crowded areas), I fixed that just a little by updating Nvidia drivers to the newest BETA driver.
    Anyways, it seemed to help my problem, thanks Stiler.