🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.

GTX 580 driver stoppes working / crashes in Assassins Creed 3

I'm having MAJOR issues with my graphics card!
    The problem is, that the drivers stop working randomly in the game.

I'm getting green artifacts when the game crashes and a small pop up note in the corner saying the "(currently installed) graphics card driver has stopped working.
    if i'm fast enought at tapping out (ALT + tap) or CTRL + ALT + Delete i can stop the computer from crashing, but if i don't, then the computer reboots.
    The computer has no problem what so ever running Battlefield 3 at ultra resolution, but in AC3 it crashes running on the lowest settings and even in lowered resolution of 800 x 600 for instance.

so far i have updated BIOS on the motherboard, updated audio drivers and graphicscard drivers, windows update.. i have actually updated EVERY driver on the computer, but it keeps crashing.

It has come to my attention, that i'm not the only one having troubles with this game running on a GTX5xx series card.
    Many have suggested underclocking the graphics card via GPU Tweak etc, which i have also tried. (both under AND over clocking it, both to a reasonable clock, both also to the extreme on both ends!) non seems to work, or maybe it gave me a minute or more of gaming.

i've tried with the:
    306.97 WHQL Driver
    310.61 BETA Driver
    and actually all available drivers in between + an old driver i found very stable a couple of months ago.

Non did the job. Games still crash, tho my BF3 seems to run smoother.
    The computer should fit the requirements for the game, and im getting 200 FPS+ when running on the lowest settings with a messed up resolutions (tiny screen with a lot of black bars around it), but it still crashes.

i have of course also reinstalled the game twice, did not work.

Specs:
    G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1600MHz (2x4)
    ASUS ENGTX580 DCII/2DIS/1536MD5
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe B3 Sandy Bridge
    Corsair Air Series A50 CPU Cooler
    Corsair SSD Force Series 3, 120GB
    Intel® Core i7-2600K Processor
    Corsair TX V2 850W PSU

some suggested that the card just can't handle AC3, but come on, you can't be serious that the card is already ready to go into the bin? Would getting another card and running it in SLI fix the problem, or just give me twice the number of crashes?

Any one of you who have come up with a fix for this problem?

Call of Duty Black Ops 2 does also crash in the exact same way!

is it a general problem with this game that you are aware of, and maybe have a fix for? or is it a GeForce problem? Do you know weather GeForce are working on a fix?
    it sucks a lot because its the same with other newly released games!

Hi there, I have the same problem. I also have a gtx580. Later i will try it with another card. I will report it to you if it works.

Hey, same problem here. Crashes with both AC3 and Black Ops 2 in the same way, except mine is a hard crash every single time; just goes to a black screen and I have to hit the restart button. Tried changing drivers, settings, etc, nothing works. I am considering getting a 690 to fix (store near me is having a sale today). If I do end up getting the new card, I will update with findings. Otherwise I am all out of ideas.

would be awesome with an update weather a GTX 600 series card makes it run without crashing! But thats just a last resort for me. The card is only 1 year old and should be able to play the game!

I also have the same problem with my 580GTX

Same problem here...

this is just so frustrating! i'm also considering buying a new card because this way of playing, with the game crashing all the time is unbearable

I have 580 and I was having the constant crashing with the display driver stopped responding error.

I tried updating drivers, cleaning drivers, underclocking my card etc.

After I spent over a day googling around I found this:
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...-has-recovered

BASically the 580 series are notorious for having their voltage's actually underclocked to the point that it causes them to be unstable in DX11 games.

So using MSI Afterburner I bumped my core voltage up to 1100 (it was default at 1000) and I was able to play AC3 for over 2 hours SOLID after wards.

Prior to this I was luck yto get in 2-5 minutes before it crashed.

Just please be aware, increasing the voltage should be done at your own risk, if you push it too far it CAN damage the card/cause problems, and it will also generate more heat.

This is what it starts like. Weird artifacts, then it becomes like green squares.

The GPU Fan speed then cranks up to around 25% (loud) and goes back down again.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... Last ►►