[Spoilers] Fun but overhyped.... UBI can still salvage this game!

First off let me say that I enjoyed this game and the story. I'm surprised at how well they made the setting work, and the new engine is spectacular. However, this game was WAY overhyped at E3 and the slew of gaming expos. ACIII was largely unpolished upon release in my opinion, as well.

As far as being overhyped, all the things promised to us (random encounters, naval free roam, ect.) by ubisoft really made this game stand out from all the other games, as well as being one of the most anticipated games in the last 5 years. To suddenly pull them from the game is a crushing blow that detracts from the replayability which is crucial for a successful game. Now I think everyone will mostly agree with me when I say this, but Red Dead Redemption is probably the BEST open world action/adventure games to ever come out. What made it so successful, was the numerous side quests, random encounters, awesome exploring, numerous outfits, and a world that seemed "alive". When I heard of everything Ubisoft was putting into ACIII, I immediately thought of RDR and had the thinking that I could play this game for months without getting bored (I still put in RDR and can play it for weeks without becoming bored). The point is that there were so many side things to do, that they could probably have taken out the awesome story, and just leave in the side stuff and it'd still make an amazing game. ACIII COULD HAVE been that, if they'd not have yanked all the stuff out before release. The good thing, is there is still a lot of DLC they're adding, and I'm seriously hoping for either unlimited liberation type missions, or all together new, random encounters. That NEEDS to be added, along with naval free roam. Though, if it would just be getting into fights with other ships, that would get boring just as quick as land combat gets. But still, it'll only increase replayability.

The second issue I have, is this game was released largely unpolished. I understand and expect a few First Day Bugs, but these were HUGE bugs that should have been caught in the Alpha/Beta phase. Outfit colors glitching in cutscenes, a lot of clipping, visual glitches in the level designs at certain parts, ect. Hopefully Ubisoft is quick at patch #2, since most of it is aesthetic, it doesn't bother me that much, but still irks me a little bit. Not to mention for me, completely renders the different outfit colors useless to buy. The second thing is frame rate. Now I've been a little lucky to not experience the serious FPS lag like some are having, but I do notice it during the Winter time mostly. Unfortunately, I do realize that is out of their hands to fix.

Basically, this game will be another game that goes on my shelf, unless these two things can get addressed quickly. None of it requires serious script editing or engine tweaking, so I'd imagine it'd be relatively easy for them to throw some of it in a patch or DLC. I expected more out of it when I preordered it, so it did disappoint me a tad bit, but nonetheless, it was a great game.

projectpat06's Avatar Senior Member
    Pretty much exactly how I feel. I love this game and it's by far the best of the Assassin's Creeds but I was hoping for it be a little more ground breaking. The cities are almost perfect with tons of stuff to do, but after you do all the liberation missions, you don't have any side missions left to use all you recruits' abilities. You also can't upgrade your arsenal completely until around sequence 9 so by the time you have everything you need to be BA, there isn't much left to do. Also, the frontier is stunning and one of the best virtual playgrounds ever created but after a while it begins to feel empty which eventually turns to boredom. Hunting animals and killing small patrols of 6 to 8 soldiers doesn't give you much diversity in terms of gameplay. Bring some random battles in the wheat fields and allow the forts to come under attack after you liberate them. Allow us to ally with one side or the other to accomplish our own goals some how. Endless possibilities

pirate1802's Avatar AC Expert
    I agree mostly. Those things you mention would have given this game true replayability.

RDR is definitely still the king of the open-world. As well as it has served the series in the past, I think the devs really need to move beyond the current system of viewpoints, NPCs that represent objectives standing in the same spot day and night, rain hail or shine waiting for you and sh!t-tons of collectibles that go on your map as soon as you buy maps from a shop. NPCs representing objectives (such as courier missions) should walk around the cities like every other NPC and maybe even go home at night and there should be fewer collectibles and they should be harder to find. The cities/frontier(s) should be fully visible on your map from the start and if they're going to implement viewpoints, they should be unmarked, meaning you have to discover them yourself, and synching with them will reveal the location of clues that lead to treasure. Just as you examine clues for hunting, you should have to examine clues for treasure hunting. I reckon they should've got rid of the stupid feathers long ago.

Ever since Brotherhood, the maps in these games have become absolutely saturated in icons. Not only does this make the maps harder to read but they're slow to load and in a game as reliant on constantly referring to the map (sometimes every 20 seconds or so) as this, it becomes really annoying. The devs should be trying to reduce the relience on the map and random events would definitely help with this.

Also, just as hunting or pickpocketing attracts the respective societies' ranking systems, so too should your actions affect what random events happen to you. For example, if you're a proficient pickpocket, thieves will approach you asking for your participation in thefts etc for which you'll be rewarded.

Ever since Brotherhood, these games have been directed towards the seriously OCD completionist. As mentioned, even once you finishing all the missions in RDR, there is still plenty to do in gameworld, but not so with AC. AC feels much more calculated and binary code if you know what I mean. Either you haven't completed an objective, and it will remain constantly in the exact same point on your map indefinitely, or you have and you get to tick it off and get a nice 0.1% of synch added to your synch bar. Not so with RDR, which just keep organically generating events to keep the world feeling alive. So, all in all, RDR just feels so much more organic.

Legendz54's Avatar Senior Member
    RDR is great but some gameplay aspects in AC3 surpass it such as interactions with the rocks mountains and trees, Animals are inferior because of the QTE but still an awesome addition.

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by doogsy91 Go to original post
    RDR is definitely still the king of the open-world. As well as it has served the series in the past, I think the devs really need to move beyond the current system of viewpoints, NPCs that represent objectives standing in the same spot day and night, rain hail or shine waiting for you and sh!t-tons of collectibles that go on your map as soon as you buy maps from a shop. NPCs representing objectives (such as courier missions) should walk around the cities like every other NPC and maybe even go home at night and there should be fewer collectibles and they should be harder to find. The cities/frontier(s) should be fully visible on your map from the start and if they're going to implement viewpoints, they should be unmarked, meaning you have to discover them yourself, and synching with them will reveal the location of clues that lead to treasure. Just as you examine clues for hunting, you should have to examine clues for treasure hunting. I reckon they should've got rid of the stupid feathers long ago.

Ever since Brotherhood, the maps in these games have become absolutely saturated in icons. Not only does this make the maps harder to read but they're slow to load and in a game as reliant on constantly referring to the map (sometimes every 20 seconds or so) as this, it becomes really annoying. The devs should be trying to reduce the relience on the map and random events would definitely help with this.

Also, just as hunting or pickpocketing attracts the respective societies' ranking systems, so too should your actions affect what random events happen to you. For example, if you're a proficient pickpocket, thieves will approach you asking for your participation in thefts etc for which you'll be rewarded.
    The one thing I can't agree with is having to find Viewpoints on our own. What a tedious chore that would end up being to clear your map. Just something that consumes time for the sake of taking longer.

Anything in an AC game that would bring more RPG into it (relating to our character) the better. Causes & effects - negative & positive.
    Just as long as we aren't penalized for every little thing - that gets old too. Dishonored is a good example of how not to penalize us for using our skills & weapons to kill enemies.

Originally Posted by ProdiGurl Go to original post
    The one thing I can't agree with is having to find Viewpoints on our own. What a tedious chore that would end up being to clear your map. Just something that consumes time for the sake of taking longer.

Anything in an AC game that would bring more RPG into it (relating to our character) the better. Causes & effects - negative & positive.
    Just as long as we aren't penalized for every little thing - that gets old too. Dishonored is a good example of how not to penalize us for using our skills & weapons to kill enemies.
    What I meant was that your map would not require clearing, you know, like in pretty much every other game ever. Viewpoints would be used only for finding clues for treasure hunting (which would replace chests, feathers, almanacs etc). So essentially, you find a viewpoint (which should be pretty simple (just look for the eagles)) and then clues appear on your map which will in turn lead to more clues regarding the whereabouts of hidden treasure.

ProdiGurl's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by doogsy91 Go to original post
    What I meant was that your map would not require clearing, you know, like in pretty much every other game ever. Viewpoints would be used only for finding clues for treasure hunting (which would replace chests, feathers, almanacs etc). So essentially, you find a viewpoint (which should be pretty simple (just look for the eagles)) and then clues appear on your map which will in turn lead to more clues regarding the whereabouts of hidden treasure.
    Oh ok, thanks for clarifying - ya that makes alot more sense. I really do like the viewpoint concept but some changes like that might be good.

I completely agree with this thread. We need random encounters, unlimited assassination contracts similar to RDR bountys, and forts getting attacked randomly is a brilliant idea. I was expecting those features to be in the game and now that I finished the game and did all of the side quests I have nothing to do which disappoints me greatly. Don't get me wrong I love this game but this should have been added into the game as it adds re-playability and causes more people to keep the game and not sell it or trade it in. UBI SOFT if you are reading this please try to patch this in or make some kind of DLC, I would actually buy it. I am also having wishful thinking that UBI probably saved all of that content for the King Washington DLC, and if they did I will buy the season pass right NOW!!!

Originally Posted by Mani60Cent12 Go to original post
    RDR is great but some gameplay aspects in AC3 surpass it such as interactions with the rocks mountains and trees.
    I lol'd.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►