projectpat06's Avatar Senior Member

Spoiler: What happens to Haytham and Lee rushed and dull

I want to know what everyone else thought of Haytham's death? For me, this part of the game started to lose me and felt rushed and wasn't given much explanation. Connor had just told Achilles he was hoping to reconcile with his father and bring peace between the Templars. He goes into the fort to take out Charles Lee, then starts to get hit by cannon fire that he started. That was kind of dumb. Then Haytham comes out of no where and Connor just has a change of heart? And Then Lee makes all these threats to destroy everything connor knew and loved then all of a sudden tries to high tail it back england?? Then somehow he's just sitting in the tavern and gives up to Connor.

Thoughts

Apirka's Avatar Member
    I didn't like it either. I mean, it makes sense in a way, but there was so much potential in that setup -- Haytham being Connor's father and America's Templar grandmaster, but what they actually did didn't even begin to live up to that potential. When I got to the part where Haytham dies, I seriously considered to just put down the game and watch the ending on the Internet, but didn't do it because I only had one sequence left and wanted to play the modern day part myself. But yes, I was disappointed, very much so.

Well. it made no freaking sense to me, and even though I finished the game one, I am not going to finish it again, and just stop on 10. Setup was perfect, then everything went to dogs for no apparent reason. May be this Mass Effect 3 thingy is a sort of a virus that infects writers and makes them totally whacked in terms of proper story development. Actually, I am OK with Desmond's ending, but that thing with Connor and Haytham killed the whole story for me.

NinjaOnFire's Avatar Member
    It did get very rushed towards the end.

The conflict itself did not make any sense to me, does not matter who was an initiator, and who was forcing whom. It felt highly artificial, for a shock value mostly. For me, when Ezio spared Borgia, it was a much stronger emotional impact, then a forced confrontation and patricide.

Apirka's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by vivaxardas Go to original post
    Well. it made no freaking sense to me, and even though I finished the game one, I am not going to finish it again, and just stop on 10. Setup was perfect, then everything went to dogs for no apparent reason. May be this Mass Effect 3 thingy is a sort of a virus that infects writers and makes them totally whacked in terms of proper story development. Actually, I am OK with Desmond's ending, but that thing with Connor and Haytham killed the whole story for me.
    As said, Haytham was trying to kill Connor (which I have to say I was rather Meh about as well. the team up mission gave me the impression that both somewhat cared about each other, so the way that was done didn't really feel... organic. More like "Hey, we need to have Haytham try to off Connor, let's just have him do that and not develop what's going on in any way.)

What I would have liked is at least for Lee to escape. Would have made for a better story, imho.

And in general, I think it would have been more interesting if it didn't end in a "Assassin's win and are the good guys, Templars lose and are the bad guys" way. One of the things so wonderful about Haytham's character is that there's a lot of grey morality going on with him, but his end (and Charles' end), didn't really reflect that.

Apirka's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by vivaxardas Go to original post
    The conflict itself did not make any sense to me, does not matter who was an initiator, and who was forcing whom. It felt highly artificial, for a shock value mostly. For me, when Ezio spared Borgia, it was a much stronger emotional impact, then a forced confrontation and patricide.
    Well, Haytham seemed to have chosen Charles over Connor. Which I think is okay (if somewhat disappointing), but the way it was handled was very disappointing.

And yeah, playing a character who would kill his father doesn't quite sit right with me. Particularly since I didn't see Connor really showing any guilt about it.

Kaschra's Avatar AC Expert
    It felt too rushed, I agree with that :/

Not to mention that Haytham was probably my favourite AC3 character... oh great, another dead favourite character, how awesome... -___-

projectpat06's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by xXRyzonXx Go to original post
    I think you fail to see the fact the Connor was forced to kill him.. or he would've died himself, he even said "Yield and I will spare you" to his father.. right before his father tried to kill him.

Also.. Don't put spoilers in the title of your threads...
    Yeah, didn't really know how to really get around that subject without a spoiler. But it is in the spoiler threads/ hints and tips and not in the general discussion so people can expect spoilers when clicking in these threads.

And glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm not disappointed that connor killed Haytham and Lee. I'm just disappointed how anti climatic it was. The first half of the game so epic and built everything up for the ending. I didn't expect it to be a Fairy tale with a happy ending given achilles' quote but I just wanted it to be more epic.

Originally Posted by projectpat06 Go to original post
    Yeah, didn't really know how to really get around that subject without a spoiler. But it is in the spoiler threads/ hints and tips and not in the general discussion so people can expect spoilers when clicking in these threads.

And glad I'm not the only one who feels that way. I'm not disappointed that connor killed Haytham and Lee. I'm just disappointed how anti climatic it was. The first half of the game so epic and built everything up for the ending. I didn't expect it to be a Fairy tale with a happy ending given achilles' quote but I just wanted it to be more epic.
    People might want tips, and not spoilers like this though... Not everyone comes here for spoilers.