BlastThyName's Avatar Senior Member

What we know about the PC version graphics wise

Okay, I have not seen a thread like this and I figured this would be interesting to some people.

So here it is, the PC version has been confirmed to take advantage of DX11 by Hutchinson himself at Quakecon 2012.
    At Gamescom german guys (PCgameshardware.de) learned that tessellation would be used to enhance water rendering, currently it's not known whether or not this will be the only tesselated element in the game but I'm not expecting anything else really.
    Better textures are also a lock, good.

-The Geforce site mentions that the PC version will sport "superior graphics", "several PC-only effects (what the hell does that mean ?) and "DX11 graphic options".

Let's sum this up :
    -Better textures
    -DX11 (tessellation and ?)

Yup, many question marks.

What DX11 features are being uses aside from the infamous tessellation ? What are the "PC only effects" mentionned by Nvidia ?

I remind you folks that UbiSoft Kiev is handling (according to Google translation) the port and while previous AC games ran just fine on any decent gaming PC I feel compelled to entertain doubts about their competence to deliver a solid port.
    That of course could be entirely misplaced as there are parameters to take into account when analysing past failures of a port that were Driver SF and the last Ghost Recon (the engine, how much time they were given, the budget allocated by Ubi etc...).

My point is that it's not impossible for someone to expect more or less the same graphical treatment that Future Soldier received, and that would fit what Nvidia is alluding to. Stuff like POM, better HDR, motion blur, volumetric lights (god rays) could fall into the "PC only effects" category, DX11 graphic options could be GI and tessellation.

Is Ubi going to release a promotionnal video for the PC version ? Is Ubi going to communicate on this version at all ? Or will we have to find out what it has to offer on launch day ?
    Ubisoft could take Square Enix as an example.

Can you provide some links?

Right :
    http://www.geforce.com/games-applica...assins-creed-3
    http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/art...rce-gtx-650-ti
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/ubisof...tion-textures/

Everything is there, you even have a benchmark of an alpha version of the game.

I wonder what Ubisoft are waiting to expand a little bit on the PC version. I guess we will need to wait for Nvidia to finally know what DX11 features have been implemented.

Well i fully support the conclusion sequence in the third link.
    But from what nvidia provided as screenshots- Which i believe how the pc graphics are promised to look like, than this will be freaking amazing, though it may be one of the ubi's utopias.

Originally Posted by connor_bg Go to original post
    Well i fully support the conclusion sequence in the third link.
    But from what nvidia provided as screenshots- Which i believe how the pc graphics are promised to look like, than this will be freaking amazing, though it may be one of the ubi's utopias.
    They are not said to be PC screenshots but you can bet your *** that it will look miles better than what the PS3/360 are struggling to achieve.
    That's the case with previous AC games and there is no reason to think that AC 3 will derogate from this rule. Even simple ports already look way better after all.

The cause for concern is rather how well this will be optimized.

What do you think?

Originally Posted by connor_bg Go to original post
    What do you think?
    About what ? I'm no soothsayer !

I can only hope that UbiSoft Kiev know what they're doing but going by the fact that the game is massive in scope this has to be a challenge.

Graphics wise (nothing wrong with focusing on this given that this is what separates the PC & console versions) I would like the same graphical enhancements Future Soldier had.

Again, as I said in the first post this boils down to how much ressources the PC team has at their disposal.

It is three weeks behind the console schedule, when with acr the pc were two weeks behind it. So it can be described as a challenge.

If I'm not mistaken a moderator on this very forum said that the PC features will be announced "soon".

We just have to wait.

Well i really hope that we will get hi-res textures and less bugs than console version