Connor seems to lack... something

There's something about Connor that makes it harder to feel connected to him, Don't get me wrong, I love the story and his personal backstory but he seems to lack personality. I think it's because of his way of talking, almost everything he says sounds monotone, like he isn't interested. This isn't an actual spoiler but an example, someone could save his life and his mother's life, and Achilles' life and he would just be like: "Oh okay, I thank you" in the most uninterested way. Every other character I could believe and put emphasis on what they were saying and it sounded sincere but when Connor said something it was way too formal like they just had the voice actor say 1,000 words and they just strung them together.

I mean in no way to diminish the work that went into making the game but it seems that maybe (this is just bollocks I'm talking now) they were too worried about making sure people understood Connor and were trying hard to pronounce every single word correctly and focusing on that than actually focusing on what he was saying and putting emphasis to it all. I would have preferred the voice actor to put more emotion into what he was saying and listen to a Connor with an accent or whatever to the emphasis on the individual words.

It just seems to me that the voice acting isn't convincing enough, it sounds disinterested and maybe they were trying to focus on making sure Connor was understood as when he talks there seems to be emphasis on each individual word, and not on the sentence in itself.

That of course is just my opinion as to what makes Connor feel a bit, distant, (even more so compared to previous games where the voice acting was great) that is an important aspect in story telling, the acting. Be it voice acting or acting in a role for a movie, putting emotion into the character you are acting as is important, and I don't feel that was done in Connor's case.

Legendz54's Avatar Senior Member
    I like his voice... because its not as Annoying and loud as Ezios and reminds me a bit of Altair. Play some of the homestead missions.

He's like a robot. One of the least memorable protagonists I've had the misfortune to play in recent years.

NinjaOnFire's Avatar Member
    Any emotion that isn't anger or boredom?

ZBurris's Avatar Junior Member
    he's one of the best characters ive ever seen

He's serious yes. There werent many "charismatic" Native Americans. That is more of an Italian trait lol. You shouldn't expect Connor to be as charismatic as Ezio.

and the way they did the Iriquious language was amazing. I love how they have Connor speaking his native language so much. I dont know if there is any game that has as much Native American dialogue as this one. It really adds to the greatness of the game.

Legendz54's Avatar Senior Member
    ^ Theres your answer.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Lets not try to convince anyone of anything. Some liked Connor and some did not. Everyone is clever enough to make a decision, so lets not turn this thread into a flame war. Its one of the very few that actually has a point, constructive Criticism and does not just bash the game mindlessly..

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    I think it fits Connor.

Connor maybe grouchy, but that's the product of his idealistic and naive view of the world. What really grew on me was his progressing cynicism. The progression was so subtle that character might as well be me growing up.

Serrachio's Avatar Senior Member
    One thing that does jar me a little is that he talks softer when he speaks Mohawk, but that when he speaks English, the divide between the two throws me off a little.

I wish some of that Mohawk accent transferred into his speeches.