Mac specific problem?

Ok so I've gone through this entire thread (and many others) and here's what I've determined.

LatencyBuffer minimum is 2 no matter what size output buffer I use.

OutputBufferSize seems to have no effect whatsoever. I'm wondering if this setting is even being used on Mac because I can set it as low as 2 (trying basically all powers of 2 from 1024 down) and even this low the audio doesn't crackle or glitch. And regardless of the value I use the latency seems the same to my ears. Does anyone know if perhaps this setting only affects Windows installations? If so is there a way to set the audio buffer size for mac?

I've also tried setting ExclusiveMode=1 to try to get Rocksmith to take full control of the audio card again with no effect. The only setting that has has a noticeable effect is the LatencyBuffer and again, 2 seems to be the minimum value I can use (even if I up the output buffer size to 2048).

This is a brand new macbook pro with very powerful hardware so I'm a little confused why it would have trouble with performance. Has anyone had luck reducing latency on mac specifically??

Thanks

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by scamden Go to original post
    <snip>

This is a brand new macbook pro with very powerful hardware so I'm a little confused why it would have trouble with performance. Has anyone had luck reducing latency on mac specifically??

Thanks
    This doesn't help you, but I've run the game on a 2012 macbook pro without issues. Your hardware should be more than capable of running the game.

Originally Posted by Danny-Ramone Go to original post
    This doesn't help you, but I've run the game on a 2012 macbook pro without issues. Your hardware should be more than capable of running the game.
    That's exactly what I thought! But out of curiosity do you get a small delay? Or is it instantaneous from playing a note to hearing it on your mac?

Danny-Ramone's Avatar Senior Member
    It never occurred to me that something might be wrong, nor does it seem different playing in windows. I also never had to tweak any settings.

Here's a thought. If you have a windows disk: create a Windows partition in Bootcamp, and see how the game runs there. The Steam licence covers both Mac and Windows.

Scamden, What is your audio output chain? I would test with wired headphones plugged right into the laptop.

Valtos's Avatar Junior Member
    Thanks for the guide. This is the best I could come up with on my laptop, a fairly new HP laptop with Intel i7 7500U and HD 620 integrated graphics.

[Audio]
    EnableMicrophone=0
    ExclusiveMode=1
    LatencyBuffer=1
    ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=0
    ForceWDM=0
    ForceDirectXSink=0
    DumpAudioLog=0
    MaxOutputBufferSize=224
    RealToneCableOnly=0
    Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=0
    [Renderer.Win32]
    ShowGamepadUI=0
    ScreenWidth=1280
    ScreenHeight=720
    Fullscreen=2
    VisualQuality=3
    RenderingWidth=0
    RenderingHeight=0
    EnablePostEffects=0
    EnableShadows=0
    EnableHighResScope=0
    EnableDepthOfField=0
    EnablePerPixelLighting=1
    MsaaSamples=0
    DisableBrowser=0
    [Net]
    UseProxy=1

For some reason using Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=0 works better than Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=1. Turning it on at 224 buffer size causes the glitches and crackling to start. There is some slightly noticeable latency if I really listen for it but nothing that bothers me when playing. I usually run RS14 through my TV over HDMI and have no audio or video lag from that. The TV is made by LG and has a game mode for both audio and video so I have that on with every other fancy setting off.

Thank you so much!
    I set Latency to 1 and maxBuffer to 200. It's no any noticable lag or crackling.
    My PC build: i5 8600k, rtx 2070, 16gb, game on HDD

[Audio]
    EnableMicrophone=0
    ExclusiveMode=1
    LatencyBuffer=1
    ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=0
    ForceWDM=0
    ForceDirectXSink=1
    DumpAudioLog=0
    MaxOutputBufferSize=200
    RealToneCableOnly=0
    Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=0
    [Renderer.Win32]
    ShowGamepadUI=0
    ScreenWidth=1920
    ScreenHeight=1080
    Fullscreen=2
    VisualQuality=2
    RenderingWidth=0
    RenderingHeight=0
    EnablePostEffects=1
    EnableShadows=1
    EnableHighResScope=1
    EnableDepthOfField=1
    EnablePerPixelLighting=1
    MsaaSamples=4
    DisableBrowser=0
    [Net]
    UseProxy=1

Hello there!
    This is my setting through my behringer u-phoria um2 audio interface, don't now how goo they are:
    EnableMicrophone=0
    ExclusiveMode=1
    LatencyBuffer=2
    ForceDefaultPlaybackDevice=
    ForceWDM=0
    ForceDirectXSink=0
    DumpAudioLog=0
    MaxOutputBufferSize=160
    RealToneCableOnly=0
    Win32UltraLowLatencyMode=1

But recently I came across a feature called rs_asio, and so my settings right now:

https://imgur.com/a/kTXU4Kz
    Who know more about it, they add up and I get an even bigger delay?

yes

Originally Posted by Vector_Shift Go to original post
    I've also read that you should disable all audio output effects for your sound card.
    yes especially the EQ if you have one

Page 5 of 5 ◄◄  First ... 345