Animations

Will Connor have different animations for running in shallow water or going up and down the stairs?

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    He does for shallow water! Seen footage of him running through a stream and it looked awesome.

The stairs thing, really weird! I completely forgot about the stairs animation. However they are in the game apparently, where every foot touches a stair. I think this was confirmed but dont hold me to it. x

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Both are in the game, Yes..

Yeah it was weird when the assassin just slides on the stairs.

Technically Connor doesn't have one stair animation. His regular walk animation is dynamically distorted in real time to make him walk up a graduated plane. It's just done very smoothly. For reference, watch John Marston from RDR walk up and down a hill. Same thing. They did that so they woudn't have to animate manually every permutation of angles the character can walk up a hill, or more importantly, a rooftop. So they made it a systemic animation that can be altered on the fly so Connor can walk up and down any hill or rooftop with his feet always touching the surface. Something Ezio and Altair could never do. It's also the same technology that allows fights and other actions to be performed on uneven surfaces, whereas other games, the city surfaces were always flat. Even Rome's country area was relatively flat between layers.

naran6142's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Evenesque Go to original post
    Technically Connor doesn't have one stair animation. His regular walk animation is dynamically distorted in real time to make him walk up a graduated plane. It's just done very smoothly. For reference, watch John Marston from RDR walk up and down a hill. Same thing. They did that so they woudn't have to animate manually every permutation of angles the character can walk up a hill, or more importantly, a rooftop. So they made it a systemic animation that can be altered on the fly so Connor can walk up and down any hill or rooftop with his feet always touching the surface. Something Ezio and Altair could never do. It's also the same technology that allows fights and other actions to be performed on uneven surfaces, whereas other games, the city surfaces were always flat. Even Rome's country area was relatively flat between layers.
    Sounds pretty cool. I think i remember a little interview about this, something about connor putting his foot against a wall for support. So the map doesnt have to be as gridded out

I was fairly certain that during one point of that Multipayer Machinima video, that one of the players was walking down some stairs, and the character actually stepped on every step, as if they were actually walking down a set of stairs, rather than slowly moving down a slope disguised as stairs.

Like someone else compared it to, it almost looked Red Dead Redemption-ish to me, But I absolutely love that.

Originally Posted by tre289 Go to original post
    I was fairly certain that during one point of that Multipayer Machinima video, that one of the players was walking down some stairs, and the character actually stepped on every step, as if they were actually walking down a set of stairs, rather than slowly moving down a slope disguised as stairs.

Like someone else compared it to, it almost looked Red Dead Redemption-ish to me, But I absolutely love that.
    The way they did stair climbing in Max Payne 3 was pretty cool too.

LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Aren't all his animations new?

F4H bandicoot's Avatar Member
    LA Noire's stair animation was the best, they won't have gone to that level though.