BATISTABUS's Avatar AC Expert

Why do fans prefer the story of AC2?

I often hear fans of the series say that AC2 had their favorite story...and I could not agree less. In fact, it is my least favorite story out of all the main console games. I loved Ezio, his growth, and the side characters, but I just found most of the conflict going on to be very forgettable 2 years after playing it, and even now after beating the game 2 weeks ago. That, and I just found the stories from the other games far more interesting.

If AC2 is your favorite, why? I didn't dislike it, I just think its clearly the worst. Maybe I'm missing something.

Also, here are my favorite stories from favorite to least favorite. I'd like to read your lists and explanations too!

AC1 - It really illustrated the similarities between the Assassins and Templars, and challenged me to decide which was the "correct" method (if there was one at all). Altair had fantastic growth (the impact of which was unfortunately weakened by the choice of voice-actor), and the rest of the cast was really memorable. The story was very immersive, and you really felt a part of the Brotherhood. The ending completely caught me off guard, and I really felt for Altair.

ACR - Started going back to the Assassin/Templar philosophical debate. Side characters were cool (even though I didn't know much about/care for the setting before the game), and I liked Yusuf as much as Leonardo. I liked the role Ezio played as a Mentor, who was usually one step away from the conflict. The romance stuff was brief but extremely believable. The missions that included the multiplayer characters were more developed, and they weren't just terrible husbands as they were in ACB.

ACB - Although the Templars were completely demonized in this game, they were still very interesting. Cesare was a mega-******r, his relationships with his sister and father were disturbing, and his role as Ezio's foil was illustrated well. Ezio himself, coming into control of the Brotherhood and virtually beginning the practice of recruiting members, showed interesting growth and had a good dynamic with Machiavelli. Christina missions hit me hard. Also, dat ending. The writing for the "modern" characters (particularly Shaun) didn't come off as well for me.

AC2 - I'm having a hard time even remembering it. The Prophet stuff was interesting, but we didn't get the payoff for it in this game. I thought the ruling Italian families could've been much further expanded upon, and it just didn't come across as being very significant. Side characters were really great. The ending was awesome as well.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Longer, is why people like it more..

Its a Cliche tale of revenge and we all know how people HATE cliches..

I don't remember much of AC2. I just remember really enjoying it. As far as the story goes, I haven't really been attached to a specific one, but the originals was the one that stuck with me the most. That's because it was completely fresh at the time, and it was 2 shades outside of believable. AC2 felt like a well done focusing of a story decision, like Ubisoft wasn't satisfied that the guy who's on all the commercials didn't have enough history to him in the previous game or something, so they made him a full character with an origin that we are there to experience. I think people like AC2's story more because it's more of a character narrative than a conceptual exposition that was AC1. AC1 introduced us to a whole cavalcade of possibilities in a new universe, and AC2 took it to a personal level and gave us a classical story of personal revenge to give us a different angle.

Well, I personally consider ACB and ACR all apart of AC2's story and I like those stories better than AC1.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    I liked it cause..

1. Bigger world (Than AC1)
    2. More Vibrant and uplifting setting
    3. Music
    4. Ezios character model
    5. Story
    6. Voice acting
    7. Length

Hello guys,

I disagree to a large extent, from what I can see atm the AC3 story is far better.

Comparing the stories to the cliche Heros Methology..

1-AC2: The stage where Ezio becomes an Assassin is very fast. From normal to Assassin took a very fast pace. At one moment he is just a boy at another he is an assassin.
    1-AC3: The stage where Connor becomes an assassin took more than years and years. The "calling" started when he was a kid, his village got burnt, then it took him coupler of years and lots of training to become an assassin.
    Note: In every hero story the boy become the hero after several years and experience, not in one moment. Thats why they call it hero journey.

2-AC2: The skills developed by Ezio were not that special, he already knew how to counter attack , it was just the dodge and the weapon steal.
    2-AC3: The skills developed by Connor took him years and experience plus you can compare the difference between him being and assassin and when he was not.

3-AC2: The different lifestyle variety of Ezio was very broad on a bigger picture, locate enemy assassinate (the how was mixed)
    3-AC3: There seems to be different ;lifestyle apprehended by Connor from what we saw. From assassin to captain,

Other points:

1- I dont like the fact that the motive for Ezio began with his parents death while he was wearing the assassins outfit. in the first story trailer for AC2 you can ezio not wearing the robe and then somehow that was altered. In the event that he was not wearing his assassin robe and the hero motive initiated then we would have truely experienced the suffering or the motive behind our hero. example: You never see Batman becomes brucewayne and then his parents get killed, you never see frank miller become the punisher before his family was assassinated.

AC3 will be a better step in terms of story.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    Originally Posted by avk111 Go to original post
    Hello guys,

I disagree to a large extent, from what I can see atm the AC3 story is far better.

Comparing the stories to the cliche Heros Methology..

1-AC2: The stage where Ezio becomes an Assassin is very fast. From normal to Assassin took a very fast pace. At one moment he is just a boy at another he is an assassin.
    1-AC3: The stage where Connor becomes an assassin took more than years and years. The "calling" started when he was a kid, his village got burnt, then it took him coupler of years and lots of training to become an assassin.
    Note: In every hero story the boy become the hero after several years and experience, not in one moment. Thats why they call it hero journey.

2-AC2: The skills developed by Ezio were not that special, he already knew how to counter attack , it was just the dodge and the weapon steal.
    2-AC3: The skills developed by Connor took him years and experience plus you can compare the difference between him being and assassin and when he was not.

3-AC2: The different lifestyle variety of Ezio was very broad on a bigger picture, locate enemy assassinate (the how was mixed)
    3-AC3: There seems to be different ;lifestyle apprehended by Connor from what we saw. From assassin to captain,

Other points:

1- I dont like the fact that the motive for Ezio began with his parents death while he was wearing the assassins outfit. in the first story trailer for AC2 you can ezio not wearing the robe and then somehow that was altered. In the event that he was not wearing his assassin robe and the hero motive initiated then we would have truely experienced the suffering or the motive behind our hero. example: You never see Batman becomes brucewayne and then his parents get killed, you never see frank miller become the punisher before his family was assassinated.

AC3 will be a better step in terms of story.
    You played AC III ??

dewgel's Avatar Senior Member
    Personally, I liked AC2 because it was my first real AC Game. I did own AC1 but I didn't finish it because of how annoying it got.

But AC2 was just so awesome, the beautiful cities, Florence was lovely, and then Venice. I love the Venice scenes. It was nice to follow Ezio through stuff.

As for the ruling Italian families, they're explained in quite enough depth, especially if you go through the database, there's a video narrated by Shaun for each conspirator.

However, I personally feel ACB was part of AC2's story.. Sort of like they felt "Yeah AC2 would be awesome to end here" even though they had much more to work with.. my only snag, ACB got crap when you get the Apple. And I mean crap.. it was so confusing. We were just bouncing from memory to memory and alot was very unclear.

I did love the Desmond in Brotherhood mind.. that was the best so far, where we got to do a bit of exploring the church and Monterigioni, and then the ending, that was neato.

Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    You played AC III ??
    Nope I have researched the story though

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Assassin_M Go to original post
    You played AC III ??
    Thats what I was thinking :|

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►