JTCoop's Avatar Senior Member

Gear Issues: Guitar Straps and Strap Locks

(I'm posting this here because this is supposedly the place for Gear discussions. But, I suspect nobody will see it because this page seems so far to contain 100% tech issues. Anyway. . . )

I have accumulated about 3 nice leather straps that I really like. So, I have put strap locks on them as well as most of my guitars. That way I can swap out guitars without taking off the strap I'm using or whatever. Just seemed like a good idea, right?

Well, now it's becoming sort of a pain. Because all of my good straps have strap lock fittings on them I can't use any of my good straps with any other guitar that doesn't have strap lock pins. . . Kind of ironic - I can use any cheap strap without strap lock hardware on my guitars with strap lock pins, but I can't use my good straps on guitars that don't have strap lock pins. Installing the strap lock fittings was sort of a pain - especially on thicker leather straps, so taking them off and putting them on frequently is not happening.

Anybody familiar with this issue? Anybody have a work-around? Is there a maker of strap locks that can be easily removed from the strap - ideally compatible with Dunlop strap lock pins so I don't have to change out the pins on all my guitars. . . ?

And, on that note, now that I have strap lock attachments on my straps, I really don't need another whole kit every time I get a new guitar. Is there a strap lock maker out there who sells just the pins? If so, I may switch brands. If there's someone out there who does that AND makes hardware that can be easily removed/reinstalled on straps, I'll DEFINITELY switch!

I don't personally have these, but I've read a lot about different strap locks, and these seem to be really good. I plan to get these soon. They seem to have a really easy to use, and reliable design. http://www.loxxusa.com/ You're gonna have to replace your current dunlop pins though.

mbarsott's Avatar Senior Member

Pancho X1's Avatar Senior Member
    you could always buy more of these:

http://shop.jimdunlop.com/ecommerce/...y.aspx?CID=361

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    I just use the same strap system(s) on my guitars and straps, then I can switch between the guitars and straps that use the same system.

I'm rather fond of this strap with locking ends, but I can tell you that it doesn't fit every guitar (in particular it doesn't fit my two favorite guitars, an Ovation Deacon and an Ibanez Artcore with a trem).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--PTWPWSPL
     1 people found this helpful

Originally Posted by Pancho X1 Go to original post
    you could always buy more of these:

http://shop.jimdunlop.com/ecommerce/...y.aspx?CID=361
    We have a winner!!! Ding! Ding! Thanks, Pancho. You did the work I was apparently just too lazy to do. I KNEW Dunlop must sell those pins separately but for some reason I just never got around to looking into it. Not sure I'll ever need 48 of them - but maybe. And, buying a full card of them is still cheaper than buying 2 - 3 more complete sets of strap-locs that I don't need at $15-$20 each.

Now, anybody want to buy a set of Dunlop strap hardware?

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I'm not looking for another strap - I've got 3 straps that I love and which have Dunlop strap-loc hardware on them. I've also got Dunlop strap-loc pins on three guitars. I want to be able to use any of my 3 straps on ALL of my guitars - pretty much as rcole suggests. I just don't want to be forced to buy complete sets of strap-loc hardware when all I need is more pins to install on the rest of my guitars (and future guitars as I acquire ridiculous numbers of them for no apparent reason). Pancho found the answer I was looking for - lock pins sold separately without the strap hardware which I don't need.

LOXX sells the pins too. You don't have to buy a complete set. I really think you should check them out before investing more money into your other pins. You might like them. They seem way easier to use than other strap locks. They are put on and taken off really easily, and they can carry up to 220 pounds. It will cost you more money since you have to replace all of your current ones, but it might be worth it. http://www.loxxusa.com/index.php?page=products

Originally Posted by Rwarrior28 Go to original post
    LOXX sells the pins too. You don't have to buy a complete set. I really think you should check them out before investing more money into your other pins. You might like them. They seem way easier to use than other strap locks. They are put on and taken off really easily, and they can carry up to 220 pounds. It will cost you more money since you have to replace all of your current ones, but it might be worth it. http://www.loxxusa.com/index.php?page=products
    Hm. Interesting. Can you describe how these things hook up? The Dunlops are more or less like aviation lock pins or air hose fittings. I can't quite see how the Loxx actually work. (I see the videos on the webpage, but I can't watch them from this computer.) Also, how do the parts attach to the strap? That's probably my biggest issue with Dunlops - putting them on thick, leather straps is a pain.

I might try these on my acoustic and see if I like them well enough to replace my whole collection. They have a very nice selection of finishes besides the usual chrome/nickel, gold, and black.

This would be a good incentive to clean house a bit: any guitar I'm not willing to spend the money to put strap lock pins on gets sold!

Originally Posted by JTCoop Go to original post
    Hm. Interesting. Can you describe how these things hook up? The Dunlops are more or less like aviation lock pins or air hose fittings. I can't quite see how the Loxx actually work. (I see the videos on the webpage, but I can't watch them from this computer.) Also, how do the parts attach to the strap? That's probably my biggest issue with Dunlops - putting them on thick, leather straps is a pain.

I might try these on my acoustic and see if I like them well enough to replace my whole collection. They have a very nice selection of finishes besides the usual chrome/nickel, gold, and black.

This would be a good incentive to clean house a bit: any guitar I'm not willing to spend the money to put strap lock pins on gets sold!
    There are these 2 parts. You put one through the hole of the strap, and the other is like a washer. You put it on the other side, and tighten it using the tool that comes with the strap locks. In just a few seconds, you have your strap lock on your strap. To put it onto the strap lock pin on your guitar, you literally just push it on. To take it off, you pull the "head" or nub or whatever you wanna call it, on the strap lock and it pops right off of your guitar. This design allows you to take your guitar strap on and off of your guitar with one hand, easily, and instantly. My explanation kinda sucks...so you should really find a computer where you can watch videos and then watch the videos haha. It will make it a lot more clear.

Edit: Also, the tool that comes with the strap lock is the only tool you need for installing these strap locks. It tightens the washer on the strap, and it tightens the pin onto the body of the guitar. And the strap sits closer to the guitar with LOXX.