Assassin's Creed 3 - Combat bindings?

So at the origins trailer part 2 one of the developers explained how we can control Connor during a fight. So pretty much i understood (if i did it right) you counter with a specific key bind, but to release a move you have to do another attack from the variety of action keys for finishing the counter with kill or disarm, stun, etc. So how this should work? I understand it that way- If you fight bunch of guards with different archetypes, for instance, two redcoats and a scott, you choose to counter the redcoat's attack by finishing your counter with a kill move, but if you go against the scott with a kill counter you will receive a head slam by him and get your health down, but if you go for the disarm ,for example, your chain would not be interrupted. Correct me if i am missing something, but i see it that way.

Assassin_M's Avatar AC Expert
    You are correct..

Calvarok's Avatar Senior Member
    This should make combat so much more fun

Yea pretty much. Also, from what I understand, the B or Circle button is the block or parry button, but after you press it, it rebinds to one of your melee weapons. I'm pretty sure it was Alex who said in the Boston convention that the left and top face buttons are bound to ranged, and the bottom and right face buttons are bound to your two melee weapons. I can't figure out though if it rebinds like I said, or if it's technically just the disarm button no matter what 2 melee weapons you have equipped.

Sidenote: I really want to see Connor dual-wielding a sword and his hidden blade, or a sword and his tomahawk.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Evenesque Go to original post
    Yea pretty much. Also, from what I understand, the B or Circle button is the block or parry button, but after you press it, it rebinds to one of your melee weapons. I'm pretty sure it was Alex who said in the Boston convention that the left and top face buttons are bound to ranged, and the bottom and right face buttons are bound to your two melee weapons. I can't figure out though if it rebinds like I said, or if it's technically just the disarm button no matter what 2 melee weapons you have equipped.

Sidenote: I really want to see Connor dual-wielding a sword and his hidden blade, or a sword and his tomahawk.
    Not exactly. Once you counter, the action slows down for a split second, allowing you to press one of the face buttons to perform a specific action. On PS3 (fill in Xbox alternatives as necessary) Square is the traditional counter kill, X is a disarm, Circle is a "throw" action, and Triangle lets you use whichever tool you have equipped to execute the enemy, i.e. the rope dart or pistol.

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Not exactly. Once you counter, the action slows down for a split second, allowing you to press one of the face buttons to perform a specific action. On PS3 (fill in Xbox alternatives as necessary) Square is the traditional counter kill, X is a disarm, Circle is a "throw" action, and Triangle lets you use whichever tool you have equipped to execute the enemy, i.e. the rope dart or pistol.
    I could have sworn Alex said the face buttons were tied to the weapons when you counter.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Evenesque Go to original post
    I could have sworn Alex said the face buttons were tied to the weapons when you counter.
    Well, he might have said that earlier on in development, but they said otherwise in more recent interviews, and you can see all the moves I described in the big fight scene they revealed last Monday in the previews (except for the Tool one, which can be seen in Inside AC Part 3 near the end where Connor grabs a guy in a headlock and blows his head off with a pistol).

Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    Well, he might have said that earlier on in development, but they said otherwise in more recent interviews, and you can see all the moves I described in the big fight scene they revealed last Monday in the previews (except for the Tool one, which can be seen in Inside AC Part 3 near the end where Connor grabs a guy in a headlock and blows his head off with a pistol).
    http://youtu.be/T4TtxsDw874?t=2m56s

Guess you're right. I don't know where I got my weapons tied to face buttons from. Maybe I'm just thinking of all of those moves changing depending on what weapons you have equipped.

I've also noticed that it takes four swings with the tomahawk to start an execution, just like previous game with the hidden blades, but this goes for the regular red coats, the more badazz archetypes like the scottish dude need an additional break defense attack and 4 swings. What about the SSI, i've noticed red (for enemy attack alert) and a yellow when someone actually tries to distract you or drive you off balance, or else?

adarwinter's Avatar Senior Member
    i think the SSI is yellow when someone is suspiscious. like in AC2\B\R. once they recognize you as a threat the SSI becomes red. in side the red triangle you see a small white dot as he attacks you.
    this is what i made of the vids.

i SOOOOOO hope that we can turn the SSI (counter indicators) OFF in the options. it will be so much fun to look for the actual movements of the enemies to read their attacks!!
    i'd play the first time with the SSI on and a second playthrough with it off for extra challenge.
    im going to be so disappointed if i couldnt turn it off.

also, i wonder what is the benefit of doing anything other than KILL COUNTER on enemies that CAN be killed with a counter. i think tapping the attack button will execute and re-tapping the counter button will push them or something while the jump button is a ROLL COUNTER. for now it seems like the execute button is a LOT more useful than the other counter types. only if an enemy cant be executed than u can roll or push (disarm?).
    if in combat it is really hazardous to be surrounded than the roll is effective. i hope this is the case, though it kinda seems like connor can counter and kill easily from all angles and enemies attack rarely enough so im not sure why would i be afraid of being surrounded.... on the contrary - the more enemies around me the easier it is to chain attacks.