BATISTABUS's Avatar AC Expert

Retrospective thoughts on AC1-ACR (for those who have recently re-played the games)

In preparation of ACIII, I've decided to (attempt to) play through all of the console games. I just finished AC1 last night.

The graphics are pretty amazing. If a game came out this year with graphics like that, nobody would complain about it. I might even prefer them to the style of ACR.

The music is even better than I remembered. There is the perfect amount of subtlety when needed, and liveliness when needed. That, and there's nothing more awesome sounding than running back to the Bureau after an assassination; epic music, church bells ringing, and everyone yelling at you. The sound team all around deserves an award just for that aspect of the game.

The story is incredible. I forgot just how much it made you think...and I really hope ACIII goes back to this formula (Corey May has pretty much confirmed it will). Al Mualim, Malik, The Nine, Vidic, and Altair are all great characters. The dynamic between Lucy and Vidic, including their conversations through email, really adds a lot to the modern story-line.

Voice acting is mixed. Some voices are great, while some are horrible. The worst culprit of all is Altair...I feel like his story would've been so much more impactful if they hired someone who could actually act well (the accent would've helped). Certain dramatic and emotional moments in the game (the end and making up with Malik) were almost ruined by Altair's acting. I'm sure Philip Shahbaz is a great guy, but that's probably the biggest mistake Ubisoft made while making this game. Too many NPCs have the same voice, and while running through the city, you hear far too many thieves being taken by guards.

The missions are FAR too repetitive (in the main quest and "side missions"), and a lot of the time you spend playing the game is just getting from point A to point B. Fortunately, the free-running in this game is as revolutionary as it's ever been. Besides that, you are pretty much doing the same 3 missions dozens of times. You have very few options to go about assassinating targets, which is good (from a difficulty perspective) and bad (from a diverse perspective). Cities are much more detailed than I remembered, and still manage to impress me.

Overall, I really loved the game, but there are a decent number of things holding it back from being one of the best games of all time. Thoughts?

Locopells's Avatar Moderator
    Get the Director's Cut if you can, it adds in a few more investigation missions. Otherwise, I'd go with most of that. Altair's main problem is the accent, but they fixed that in ACR.

Wish there could be an in-game map for the flags, once you've collected so many. I've only had to do it twice, but boy, it takes forever.

zerocooll21's Avatar Senior Member
    Yah I just replayed AC:B-AC:R. Love going back and trying to pick up on new things. For all my intial gripes about the first person stuff its actually grown on me. TLA is deff one of my favorites to replay for fun.

Ohhh yeaaahhh, the church bells was a awesome aspect!

Gespenst1246's Avatar Member
    I personnaly like AC1's style of gaphics more than AC2. also i thought altair's first voice was better than the second, the whole accent thing didnt bother me seeing as how its supposed to be translated by the animus, maby the animus can take away the accent for better understanding? oh well. on a side note i dont think someone whose been raised to be a killer would be that great with and/or portraying his emotions .

My main problem with Altair's voice is NOT the accent, although I don't like the choice they made. The acting is terrible, and it pretty much ruins moments. It's not about Altair being emotional, it's about sounding like natural speech.

Gespenst1246's Avatar Member
    I was only speaking what my thoughts were....

Originally Posted by Locopells Go to original post
    Get the Director's Cut if you can.
    Is that DLC? If so, can I get it on the Xbox 360?

Originally Posted by Gespenst1246 Go to original post
    I was only speaking what my thoughts were....
    That's fine, and your opinions are valid. I was just making sure you understood what I was criticizing about the voice.

LoyalACFan's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BATISTABUS Go to original post
    My main problem with Altair's voice is NOT the accent, although I don't like the choice they made. The acting is terrible, and it pretty much ruins moments. It's not about Altair being emotional, it's about sounding like natural speech.
    You can't really blame the actor though. He isn't a trained voice actor who's been taught to mimic all kinds of dialects; he signed on to play the role of Altair with an Arabic accent (which is how he actually speaks in real life, I would imagine, since his parents are both from the Middle East) but Ubisoft changed the deal on him at the last minute. Yes, the end result didn't sound natural, but the guy wasn't allowed to speak in his natural voice. Try mimicking a Middle Eastern accent and see how natural you sound to a native speaker.

playassassins1's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BATISTABUS Go to original post
    Is that DLC? If so, can I get it on the Xbox 360?
    If I remember correctly, it's exclusive to PC

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LoyalACFan Go to original post
    You can't really blame the actor though. He isn't a trained voice actor who's been taught to mimic all kinds of dialects; he signed on to play the role of Altair with an Arabic accent (which is how he actually speaks in real life, I would imagine, since his parents are both from the Middle East) but Ubisoft changed the deal on him at the last minute. Yes, the end result didn't sound natural, but the guy wasn't allowed to speak in his natural voice. Try mimicking a Middle Eastern accent and see how natural you sound to a native speaker.
    He doesn't have the accent when he's just speaking normally, actually. I've seen interviews and he just sounds like a regular guy. His family is probably Arabic though which is why he's capable of switching between languages so easily.

I never had a problem with Altaïr's acting in AC1, personally.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►