🛈 Announcement
Greetings! The Rocksmith forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game
    Vector_Shift's Avatar Senior Member

Playing By Ear

One thing I would love to be able to do -- and would love for Rocksmith to teach me -- is to be able to play by ear. Meaning I want to be able to hear a riff (or think of one!) and know where to put my fingers to be able to play it myself.

I searched Youtube for lessons on how to play by ear, and I found a few. Here's one. You can skip to 2:53 for the actual lesson.

The lesson has some great tips, but the key point is that you need to practice. That's what Rocksmith does so well. It gives you motivation to practice.

I would love to see a Guitarcade game that teaches you how to play by ear! Here's what I'm thinking:

The basic mechanic of the game would be for it to play some notes without telling you the fret numbers or strings, and your job would be to repeat the sequence. I think you should be able to choose from multiple difficulty levels because once you get good, it would be tedious for you to start over at the beginner level each time.

At the beginner level, the game would just play a single note and have the player repeat it. It would do this until the player got it right about 5 times. Then the game would start playing 2 notes at a time until the player repeated about 5 such sequences, and so on. It should start out fairly slow. As far as when the game ends, I'm thinking the player should have health or equivalent. Each time the player plays an incorrect note or doesn't respond quickly enough, the player should lose some health. The allotted response time per note should get shorter in addition to the note sequences getting longer.

At the most advanced level, the game would start with maybe 10 notes at a time and only allow maybe 4-5 seconds to respond. Similarly, the note sequences would grow longer, and the allotted response time per note would get shorter. Perhaps even throw in some bends and other techniques.

It would probably be good to have at least one difficulty level between the beginner level and the most advanced level.

One thing I would want from the game is for the note sequences to sound good, yet not be predictable. I'm sure that's a tricky balance, because completely random notes would sound terrible, while having a finite set of riffs would be too predictable. Perhaps random notes all from the same scale would sound good enough. At the most advanced level, perhaps using a single scale would be too easy, and maybe it would work to pick a few notes from one scale followed by a few notes from another, etc. I'm sure the developers will think of something clever.

As far as the score for the leader boards, perhaps it should be the sum of the scores from each level. However, you wouldn't want players to be able to earn a bajillion points at the beginner level and make it into the top ten without even playing the most advanced level. Perhaps the way to prevent this would be for all but the most advanced level to have a finite number of sequences, and therefore a maximum score. The most advanced level would be worth more points, and could potentially go on forever, though at some point it would likely get too hard for any human.

For the visuals, I don't know what the game would look like. The developers will have to get creative for this one, since you wouldn't want it to show a string color or fret number.

Let me know what you think, and please help me refine my idea!

Can any of you play by ear? If so, how did you learn? Do you think a game like this would be helpful?
     1 people found this helpful

That sounds like a fantastic idea.

KinchBlade's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm so bad at this that I often wonder if I'm tone deaf so I'd be delighted to see anything that improved this area for me.

armin1021's Avatar Member
    great idea. Rocksmith get on it!!

rcole_sooner's Avatar Moderator
    That is how I used to do it. I had a few albums (real vinyl), that I try to play what I heard.

I learn much quicker with tab, so I don't bother learning by ear much.

My wife plays by ear, very well. Not even listening to the song, but rather remembers it, sings it, and plays to her signing. It may not be the right key, but it is in key to itself. I wish I could sing.

Yep, ear training, in RS, would be cool. Heck, just showing the keys things are in, would be cool.

Ezios_Axe's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm thinking that the sub menu where you find the option to rehearse, do riff repeater etc should also have a quick link to scale runner that will automatically drop you into the game with the appropriate key. Just a thought. When I was a kid and played sax my teacher always made me warm up with scales in the key to the song I was about to play. It got my ear ready and put my mind on the particular notes I would see, accidentals excluded obviously. I realize this is more technical than what RS wanted to be out of the gate but many of us have been playing this "game" for almost a year now. With a future patch or Rocksmith 2 I would like to start digging into music theory a bit more now that I am not all thumbs trying to figure out what string or fret I am on.

Vector_Shift's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Ezios_Axe Go to original post
    I'm thinking that the sub menu where you find the option to rehearse, do riff repeater etc should also have a quick link to scale runner that will automatically drop you into the game with the appropriate key.
    That would be great too!

bradiam's Avatar Senior Member
    That's a good idea!

One thing I am doing for ear training to help with note/chord recognition is making my own recordings.

I plugged the rs cable into the PC, and using the trial version of mixcraft, I recorded myself playing various chords. I then copied them so they each play three times with a few seconds pause between and a longer pause after. I then recorded myself saying what the chord is at the end.

Now I just save those as mp3s and put them in a playlist on shuffle for a little while and try to recognize the chords. It is helping immensely.

I will probably do the same thing with notes as I get deeper into it, but for now the chords are enough to keep me busy

I didn't even know they had lessons for this kind of stuff. I usually just play music i know in my head, stopping at each note and then finding it on the guitar, and move on. The majority of the riffs i know i learned from just picking up my guitar when i was bored and doing that. I really don't even know if i'm playing them right, but thats where the customization comes in. I found from the beginning that most riffs play along on the same area of the fretboard (which i later learned were the scales). When it comes to naming chords and scales however, i always forget them. I remember the sounds but forget the names D:

isenhart17's Avatar Member
    playing by hear is a theorie for the world of rainbow and poney*.
    First playing by head means knowing every note and chord where they actualy are. From there nothing is from the ear but memory.
    Then you hear the note you want to play,
    then you make the link with your memory where the note can be played on your guitar neck.
    For me it means playing by memory as much as playing aa song where you know where everynote are.
    I ear people saying these word so randomly and nearly think playing from ear fall from the sky
    If you dont have a memory your ears means nothing