Solution for GTX580 crash - 'display driver stoped responding but has recovered'

After digging around quite a bit I have seen many owners of the 580 with the exact same issue:
    Random crashes throughout the game and a message that the display driver has stopped responding.

One solution posted was to underclock your card - which I refuse to do out of principal.

However - on a tangent to this I also found that some people had successfully INCREASED the Core Voltage from stock and fixed the crashes.

Now - its important to note right now that I believe the crashes we are experiencing with this particular card are NOT Ubisoft's fault. This is a fault with the gxt580 default voltage settings being set too low (one possible theory is that people complained about the previous generation of card having too high a power consumption)

I used MSI Afterburner (free download - google it)
    In here you need to go to the settings tab and tick 'unlock voltage control and monitoring'
    Back in afterburner you can increase your core voltage a tiny bit. I found that 1100 gave me good results and didn't take the temps above 72 under full load
    (my default was at 1050)
    I have been playing the game so far with NO crashes (other than the infinite loading bug in multiplayer)

I hope this helps.
    Please remember - that at this point it is apparently NOT an issue with the game - it is an issue with the card while running certain DX11 games.

dennild's Avatar Member
    i used the same fix and i reported it to the support guys. Lets see if they can do anything with the information. i still have the Runtime error though 6025

core voltage fix

Hi

I increased the core voltage to 1075 from 1026 on my EVGA GTX 580 and played single player campaign with no crashes great game!

I've had this issue with GXT 570 non reference model from palit and when i start to make more tests of the card i figure out it's hardaware problem so i've return it to the retailer and i bought GTX 580 !!!! Not that kind of problem since then!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chompower's Avatar Junior Member

Originally Posted by durandal79 Go to original post
    One solution posted was to underclock your card - which I refuse to do out of principal.

However - on a tangent to this I also found that some people had successfully INCREASED the Core Voltage from stock and fixed the crashes.

Now - its important to note right now that I believe the crashes we are experiencing with this particular card are NOT Ubisoft's fault. This is a fault with the gxt580 default voltage settings being set too low (one possible theory is that people complained about the previous generation of card having too high a power consumption)

I used MSI Afterburner (free download - google it)
    In here you need to go to the settings tab and tick 'unlock voltage control and monitoring'
    Back in afterburner you can increase your core voltage a tiny bit. I found that 1100 gave me good results and didn't take the temps above 72 under full load
    (my default was at 1050)
    I have been playing the game so far with NO crashes (other than the infinite loading bug in multiplayer)

I hope this helps.
    Please remember - that at this point it is apparently NOT an issue with the game - it is an issue with the card while running certain DX11 games.
    But excuse my ignorance, but the MSI afterburner work with the
    ASUS ENGTX580?. I'm tired of crashes on the desktop.

dennild's Avatar Member
    worked for me on the 570. its a bug with those cards becouse they have been underclocked to save energi so it should fix it for you to.

Originally Posted by Chompower Go to original post
    But excuse my ignorance, but the MSI afterburner work with the
    ASUS ENGTX580?. I'm tired of crashes on the desktop.
    Yes. Afterburner will work with your card also.
    It's pretty much the same card as mine.

If you are having the 'display driver stopped responding' crashes .

Chompower's Avatar Junior Member
    Originally Posted by durandal79 Go to original post
    Yes. Afterburner will work with your card also.
    It's pretty much the same card as mine.

If you are having the 'display driver stopped responding' crashes .

Thanks mate, but now I'm confused.. the screenshot shows the default values​​, I'm not sure how to proceed. I'm a newbie.

dennild's Avatar Member
    Here i made a short video
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FjO8LWSm48w

The Sound is low so turn it up to hear me

The video above tells you all you need to know:

Well currently your voltage sliders are LOCKED
    You need to go into the settings (button on the bottom right) and check 'unlock voltage control' and 'unlock voltage monitoring'

Now you can adjust the numeric value in the Core Voltage box (top slider) - Mine was at 1050 by default so I nudged it up to 1100.

Once you have applied this you should then run MSI Kombustion and perform some stress tests on the card while monitoring the temperatures and making sure they don't go
    too high. You can usually google your card and find a safe operating temp for it online - but mine remained under 72 while being tested.

Each time you reboot you will need to load afterburner and re-apply the setting.
    THere is an option in afterburner to apply it automatically at startup - but i would leave it manual for the first few boots just to make sure its not causing any issues for you.

Hope that helps -

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►