1. #1

    "The combat has been rebuilt from the ground up"

    All Ubi employees have been repeating this line like a mantra. But after watching the gameplay vids from E3 I must say I can't see it. It looks very much like a tweaked version of the killstreaks introduced in Brotherhood. Two buttons appears in the HUD: "Counter", Break Defense". These two options have been available since AC2 (if I'm not misstaken). Sure there are changes. You no longer need to lock-on by using a button (this was removed from other action games years ago), taunt has been removed and you seem to be able to quickfire pistols easier. But these are no groundbreaking changes.

    If u watch this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKz8MiipZfI you can see how the player is repeatidily pressing square to attack. Also note how the contour of the villain he is directing the left stick at is highlighted, presumably indicating it will be attacked by the next tap of square (sounds familiar?).

    Ubi knows the combat has been a weak part of the franchise since the beginning. Therefore this marketing message is understandable. But I'm gonna call BS on this one for now.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    CrazySN's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    120
    Rebuilt combat =/= Totally different combat

    The dev's said they changed up much of the gameplay to make it feel fresh, but they still wanted it to remain familiar for those who have played the past AC games. Perhaps you may not like it, but there are clearly many others, including I, who have liked the combat in the past games, and welcome the combat changes in this new AC3.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    BBALive's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,053
    It has been rebuilt in terms of controls, Connor's unique fighting style and how it actually works within the game.

    Yes. many of the features are still there (counters, killstreaks), but it has been rebuilt in order to make it more fluid. Connor rolls and dodges between enemies (not just during killstreaks), and the counter system has been reworked to include a short slowdown period that allows you to perform a number of actions. Secondary weapons can now be used on the fly, and I believe blocking and countering are now the same thing. Connor's ability to use many different combinations of weaponry also mean that the combat has to be changed to accomodate each of these combinations, with each (presumably) bringing their own unique set of animations.

    The health system also comes in to the combat, and that has also been reworked. Medicine has been replaced by regenerating health, although you health will only regenerate when you are anonymous and out of combat.

    I think you took the term "rebuilt from the ground up" too literally, and assumed that everything would be altered. In reality, they kept many of the features from the past games but rebuilt the system so that they translated into the new game, as well as melded with the new combat features as well as Connor's new fighting style.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    17,516
    Combat doesnt mean buttons.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    Originally Posted by CrazySN Go to original post
    Rebuilt combat =/= Totally different combat

    The dev's said they changed up much of the gameplay to make it feel fresh, but they still wanted it to remain familiar for those who have played the past AC games. Perhaps you may not like it, but there are clearly many others, including I, who have liked the combat in the past games, and welcome the combat changes in this new AC3.
    They said "Rebuilt from the ground up" and that means significant changes. Not just remapping actions to new buttons. and adding/removing a move or two. I agree the changes are good, but I think the combat has been pretty meh so far in the series (and so does Alex Hutchinson). It's just way too easy to be enjoyable.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    Combat doesnt mean buttons.
    Oh really
    Share this post

  7. #7
    DavisP92's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio (USA)
    Posts
    1,605
    It may have been rebuilt but they didn't get rid of all of Ezio's animations. I've seen two kills where they are the same, and in fact it's so disappointing to see that they are the kills that are seen the most

    edit: actually there are 3 kill animations that they kept from ACB and ACR. *shaking my head*
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Originally Posted by BBALive Go to original post
    I think you took the term "rebuilt from the ground up" too literally, and assumed that everything would be altered. In reality, they kept many of the features from the past games but rebuilt the system so that they translated into the new game, as well as melded with the new combat features as well as Connor's new fighting style.
    Too literally? Why are people on this board always defending Ubi? It's obvious they took the combat from Brotherhood/Revelations and just tweaked it slightly and are now bending the truth to create hype. It's the same shallow system, that more or less plays itself, it has been for two games now (not implying combat was better before). Makes me disapointed .
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Josegtx13's Avatar Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    244
    Originally Posted by Pdavis3 Go to original post
    It may have been rebuilt but they didn't get rid of all of Ezio's animations. I've seen two kills where they are the same, and in fact it's so disappointing to see that they are the kills that are seen the most
    I've seen them too. Hopefully they were just in there for demo purposes only.
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Pdavis3 Go to original post
    It may have been rebuilt but they didn't get rid of all of Ezio's animations. I've seen two kills where they are the same, and in fact it's so disappointing to see that they are the kills that are seen the most

    edit: actually there are 3 kill animations that they kept from ACB and ACR. *shaking my head*
    The one were he strikes with the tomahawk twice to the collarbone looks like a similar move with the dagger? And when he moves to another villain and strikes up to his throat with Connors face turned away slightly? Or whcih ones do u mean?
    Share this post

Page 1 of 8 123 ... Last ►►