i got a bass for xmas just for this expansion, i started out playin bass in a lil crappy rock punk thing in fl. but i've hardly played for years, mostly just when i am doing some recording in my studio and i need a bass line for a song i'll pick it up and **** out some backing. but looking forward to polising my bass chops in rocksmith

The_Penguin222's Avatar Senior Member
    I haven't played bass since 1977 (get of my lawn!) but I have no issues with bass support, in fact I might even try it one day, if a cheap bass falle in my lap.
    My only complaint about bass support is the constant whining (niot here so much, mostly Facebook) every time a new DLC comes out there's a chorus of "Waaah, where's the Bass?"
    It gets a bit old. Same with the PC version. and I WANT the PC version, I just don't think Ubisoft needs a constant whiney reminder. THey KNOW we want it. THey're working on it.
    Really.

How exactly can bass anticipation be overrated? I don't think those two words (anticipation and overrated) mean what you think they mean.

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Waaaaaaah!! I have a Rickenbacker 4003 bass and nothing to play it to... Oh, wait, I can play it through my amp with the songs I want to learn? Really? All I have to do is take what I've learned on guitar or buy some of these great learning books from Hal Leonard available at most guitar stores, online, and through Amazon?

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    The same could be said for guitar as well, PRS. Plenty of guitar books as well. Why bother with RS in that case?
    BTW (please correct me if I'm wrong) but you seem to be under the impression that if you know how to play guitar, you can play bass. Technically that is true, but just becasue you can play guitar does not mean you can play bass well. I've heard way too many guitarists playing bass thinking they were hot at it and, quite frankly, were horrible bassists who had no grasp on what it takes to be a good bass player.

rockabillybaby's Avatar Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA
    I play bass primarily so I'm very excited about it.

crispyfunk's Avatar Senior Member
    I am so excited about learning the bass because I like to make my own music but the bass is something that i struggle with, i have a hard time writing bass lines that work well with my music.
    im hoping that by learning a few bass covers from the music i like, i will learn how to write bass riffs a little bit easier.

and their are so many AWESOME bass players these days that can play their 4 strings so much better than most people can play 6 strings, a few people id love to get tips from are Tal Wilkenfeld and Les Claypool. and many others.

toymachinesh's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't even understand the point of this thread

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by C.Linton Go to original post
    The same could be said for guitar as well, PRS. Plenty of guitar books as well. Why bother with RS in that case?
    BTW (please correct me if I'm wrong) but you seem to be under the impression that if you know how to play guitar, you can play bass. Technically that is true, but just becasue you can play guitar does not mean you can play bass well. I've heard way too many guitarists playing bass thinking they were hot at it and, quite frankly, were horrible bassists who had no grasp on what it takes to be a good bass player.
    Believe me, C. Linton, I am not saying that they shouldn't put out the bass add-on. Au Contraire, I hope they do soon. But to wait to play until it comes out? Meh, there are other alternatives. To say one doesn't know how to 'play' bass gets into the technical side vs feel. I've been playing bass since I played my first Rickenbacker in 1980 when I was learning a lot of Pink Floyd and the following year as I tried to match Geddy Lee's lines in Tom Sawyer and Limelight. I think we can both agree that the application of scales and modes are identical when applied to bass and guitar. If I said, "G minor pentatonic", you wouldn't play a set of notes different from mine would you? Of course not.

And I'm sure we both agree on this: The differences come in the feel and timing. When a bass player says he's sitting in "the pocket", a typical guitar player doesn't have a clue as to what that means. Why? Because the bass is that instrument that bridges the kick to the melody, so most of our playing is on the odd counts (1-3-5-7) rather than the even, because that's where the kick drum usually is. We might embellish by playing other notes (usually in the higher registers) on the even counts. That comes from the days when all you had were the bass players to hold down the low end as the percussionist might not have a kick drum. Then of course there's the story of the missing drummer and the invention of Pop and Slap to add even more percussion to the bass.

All that said, there are hundreds of rock and country bassists who have played successfully by sticking to I-V, I-III-V, and I-IV-V. Good bass playing is up to the band, the song, and the listener, and we all have a different feel for it. I know that when I play bass, I can't play with a pick, yet, I can't finger pick guitar for any amount of money well. When I'm playing bass, my whole look at a song changes. It goes from the higher notes and a guitar feel to the low end, the pocket, and the low end feel.

Wrapping up, I whole heartedly agree with you, C.Linton, playing guitar and playing bass are completely different thing when it comes to the approach, but where those notes are on the fretboard are identical.

Rock on!

Originally Posted by ihateubidrm Go to original post
    Hi,
    I'm just curious as to why Bass DLC / support is such a big deal.

I understand that for players that DO play the Bass that it's exactly what they want.
    What about the rest of the RS players ? Are the majority of all RS players also playing the Bass ?

If RS decided to add "Drum" support that would be great for all drum players.
    But the Guitar players would not really be bothered. We want more guitar stuff added !

Apparently I have no idea what I'm talking about
    Could somebody just throw in their 5 cents as to why this all is such a big deal.
    Most drummers don't own nor want EKits. you're asking for Rocksmith to support Rockband and Guitar Hero's garbage excuse of a drum set and it won't happen. Drums can't be properly charted in a game anyhow since you cannot determine what size kit a drummer is using you have to cut the charts down to 5 piece or 4 piece kits, so why even bother with such a small audience of people playing drums? And as I already said, it's basically asking to support another companies peripheral.

Also this is a guitar game, period. Bass in needed and all that is needed for it. Want to drum to the songs, play them through your radio or whatever and knock yourself out.