Personally speaking I enjoy bass more than guitar, and that's why I'm excited about the bass content. This becomes especially so if you combine the fact that I'm still a fledgling bassist who is excited about exploring every avenue in his training.

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by toymachinesh Go to original post
    I don't even understand the point of this thread
    "Venting" I think is the nice way to say it.

rchiav's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by WickedBadz Go to original post
    Most drummers don't own nor want EKits. you're asking for Rocksmith to support Rockband and Guitar Hero's garbage excuse of a drum set and it won't happen. Drums can't be properly charted in a game anyhow since you cannot determine what size kit a drummer is using you have to cut the charts down to 5 piece or 4 piece kits, so why even bother with such a small audience of people playing drums? And as I already said, it's basically asking to support another companies peripheral.

Also this is a guitar game, period. Bass in needed and all that is needed for it. Want to drum to the songs, play them through your radio or whatever and knock yourself out.
    Lol.. "support another companies peripheral"? What exactly are they doing now? Do they make guitars and Bass'?

JTCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by WickedBadz Go to original post
    Most drummers don't own nor want EKits. you're asking for Rocksmith to support Rockband and Guitar Hero's garbage excuse of a drum set and it won't happen. Drums can't be properly charted in a game anyhow since you cannot determine what size kit a drummer is using you have to cut the charts down to 5 piece or 4 piece kits, so why even bother with such a small audience of people playing drums? And as I already said, it's basically asking to support another companies peripheral.
    I can't really speak for "most drummers," but I'll tell you flat out that I hated the concept of electronic drums - until I played some live for a couple of years. I still PREFER acoustic/traditional drums because they just look "right" and real cymbals allow me to do things that they'll never likely be able to make a trigger pad do. But, I think saying that most drummers don't want or own e-kits is a gross misstatement. E-drums are incredibly useful for practicing, for starters. They take up far less room when set up and next to no space at all when broken down. You can get a dozen (or more) different sets' worth of sound out of the same set of pads - and switch from one to the other literally with the push of a button. You also have access to a host of "auxiliary percussion" instruments without having to buy or store a warehouse full of crap that you might play once a night. Volume control is practically a non-issue; you can play through headphones when practicing, and sound guys love them for live performance.

Like I said, I still prefer real drums for live performance (I have, when it's all put together, a 12-piece double-bass set, which is completely stupid and rarely used - for 90% of my gigs I use 4 drums). But, for practice - and for the purpose that RS serves - electronic kits are perfect. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only drummer who owns one (or, in my case, two). Neither of mine are the crappy toy game controller variety from RockBand or Guitar Hero. Both are "real" instruments.

I would not be terribly interested in plugging my e-drums into RS at any point in the future, but if RS ever went that route I'd certainly give it a try just for fun. I don't know that it would be all that difficult to program. I'm pretty sure the programmers could emulate multiple drum and cymbal sounds exactly the way they make my Epi LP Jr. and home theatre system sound like a Fender Tele with 4 effects pedals running through a Marshall stack. . . Other than Rush with Neil Piert and a handful of other bands whose drummers play large kits, I feel pretty safe saying that you can play most songs on a 4 or 5 piece set.

But, this thread is about bass guitars. I anxiously await a RS bass guitar add-on. For one, as a drummer, I work closely with the bass player in any band I play in. The more I understand about his job, the better I can do mine. Also, I suspect I could probably play bass better than I play guitar - I'd like to find out. Lastly, to be honest, I've always said that I should have played bass from the get-go because it seems that bands are always looking for bass players but drummers are a dime a dozen. Just my input on the subject.

SeattleSauve's Avatar Senior Member
    I play my e-kit with Rock Band all the time, and it is really really fun...

On the bass front... I'm not that excited about bass coming, since I don't have a bass, but I'm glad it's coming because it will get more folks excited about rocksmith. That said, I did enjoy playing pro bass on Rock Band, so I know it will be fun.

I asked my wife if she'd play bass with me, and she said she'd think about it, so if there's a chance she'll play then I'll definitely buy a bass