crispyfunk's Avatar Senior Member

Im getting a little better

When i first started playing the Yellow moon bands song and when it was still leveled down some i thought to my self this will be no problem to master.
    well i was able to get all the parts except for the solo to max level, the solo however was stuck at 67 % for the longest time, yesterday i was trying to level it up some and i got it almost maxed out its at 97%(WOOOHOOOOO) and i can hit almost every note, if i mess up im at least knowing where im messing up and can try to fix it

I am also making the same kind of progress with the song Sunshine of your love , im so close to nailing that solo , i have it around 90% and i know it will be maxed out soon

and a lot of other songs too , lately im able to level them up so much easier and its a very good feeling to know im making progress

Thank you Rocksmith team( your the best , AROUND, no ones ever gunna get ya down!!

ZumaRocks's Avatar Senior Member
    +1

Pancho X1's Avatar Senior Member
    +1

those are the same songs I'm working on right now too. but I'm no where near getting them to the levels you are at.

JTCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    I'm still in a sort of "I hate solos" place. Anything in particular that seemed to get you over the hump?

MrKev1n's Avatar Senior Member
    +1

I know what you mean. I spent some time today in rr for the trickier parts of "Satisfaction" single note. I was able to level them up to about 90% which brought my overall score to just over 90k. That's about 15k higher than ever before. I've also been revisiting some other songs I was stuck at before and making noticable progress. Feels good.

You're a lot better than me from the sounds of it, but I can feel myself getting better every week too. It's pretty neat when all of a sudden something that made me fumble-fingered starts to make sense, even if I haven't played the song in a long time. I think to really progress I'm going to have to start actually working on the songs instead of just "rehearsing" all the time for fun. I haven't really been putting the work in, but I'm getting better anyway.

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by JTCoop Go to original post
    I'm still in a sort of "I hate solos" place. Anything in particular that seemed to get you over the hump?
    Run through a solo that you think you can master at least the 30 times it gives you. Watch your form, use one finger per fret and try to feel the movement. Look at how the fret and string changes are and see if you can come up with the best fingerings that get you back and forth. Don't use a lot of pressure, go as lightly as you can. And lastly, more as little as possible. Economy of motion will get you through the tougher solos.

Rock on.

C.Linton's Avatar Senior Member
    That's the way it works. The more you play, the better you get. That's why my first piece of advice to any aspiring musician is always "Practice,Practice,Practice".
    I don't practice my bass playing like I should. Guess what? I suck because of that.

crispyfunk's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by JTCoop Go to original post
    I have found that a big problem is deciding on what finger is best to use, for me its a long process because as soon as i feel like i have gotten it and it levels up i find out that i should of been using different fingers because it flows better, one thing that helps use the correct fingers is to use the slider to put the solos to 100% even tho i cant play at that mastery level and try to kind of follow along and not worrie about nailing every note, once i feel like i have a good understanding of how my fingers should be laid out i will go back to where i feel comfortable and start leveling it up slowly.

its like my biggest problem is trying to not get my fingers in a knot, a lot of the time the riffs make complete since to me its just that i need to figure out what fingers should play what notes

my worst problem tho is the bends i have a hard time following along with the bends especially on the solo for sunshine of your love it has that part where your just bending the hell out of a note and each time its a different pitch. i think the best thing to do for that is to go into the free speed and work on the bends their because if your not on the note perfectly the song stops till you get it write , then when you feel like you understand how the bends flow go into the leveler and ROCK OUT lol , i need to work on my bends a lot they are whats holding me back from leveling this solo up any more

Good luck

JTCoop's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by crispyfunk Go to original post
    as i feel like i have gotten it and it levels up i find out that i should of been using different fingers because it flows better
    That is VERY TRUE. My approach has been exactly what you suggest - slide the solo (and a lot of riffs and other stuff, too) up to 100% to see what I'm facing before I settle on a fingering.

And, like you, bends in RS give me fits. I don't have "perfect pitch," but I can hear when something sounds "right" and to me RS requires bending a string FAR more than necessary. And, this may be a huge part of the reason I don't get solos maxed - sometimes I just say "Screw it, I'm not bending it that far just to get RSPs." But, a lot of times I seem to get "the flash" on bends and still don't seem to be able to level up the solos. I don't get it.

So far about the only "solo" I've gotten is the rather lame one in Angela. What's weird is that I've learned riffs that were a lot harder than some of the solos I've tried and I nail those. It seems to be something about the unique/non-repeating nature of a solo that throws me off. I don't know. I've tried PRS's advice - and that works great for riffs. It should work for solos, too, huh? I'll keep at it, but it ends up being one of those situations where I have to put that song away and move on for a while and then come back. I just don't understand why I seem to have this mental block about solos - unless it IS the bending issue. . .