Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    JTCoop, I was in a hurry earlier, but I was going to actually give you the advice to play it a little each day, get as high as you can, come back another day. Don't try to perfect it that day, give your muscles time to rest. Have you ever noticed that the same thing is easier the next day? That's muscles remembering and resting. Sounds like BS until you let it happens once in a while.

There's advice that Obi-Wan gave to Luke, "Use the Force". The logic is the same, let it flow, and it will happen for you.

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Thinking things through in your off time can also produce results. There was an interesting study a few years back that demonstrated that a group of basketball players who visualized shooting free throws for an hour each day improved their shooting the same as a group that actually practiced shooting free throws for an hour a day. What we think of as "muscle memory" is fundamentally a psychological phenomenon once basic skills are acquired.

Gold_Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Steel_Nirvana, that's why I have my kids do chromatic, major pentatonic, and minor pentatonic scales regularly. I also have them practice bends, slides, legato (hammer, pull), etc. This is no different from having kids who pitch practicing throwing or kids who play basketball practice passing. It's all part of the game.

its a great feeling when all of a sudden you realize that you are doing something with ease that a few days ago seemed like an impossible task
    i'm grindin thru the solo for smoke on the water (yeah i know not really a hard one, but for my solo playing skill it is.) in riff repeat its broke down into 4 sections, so i started at the first one, and got it, then moved on, and everytime i start playing i make sure to go back and work thru all of them before tackling the latest one, and i keep track of how many "lives" it takes to get it, the first section i can get in 1-2 lives, second section 3-5 lives now, third is pretty hard can take 10 or so lives on it currently. the last section i've got to the fast run at the verry end, and i'm working on getting up to speed on it. i'm thinkin another day or so and i'll have this whole solo where i can do a near perfect run thru it. pretty excited about it.
    whats another good solo to try after smoke, maybe a step up in dificulty but not murderous like freebird or one of the metal songs

Originally Posted by rhinokio Go to original post
    whats another good solo to try after smoke, maybe a step up in dificulty but not murderous like freebird or one of the metal songs
    I did nearly the same thing. Ultimately I gave up on the last bit of Smoke on the water, I'll go back at some point but I just couldn't listen to it any more. I found the solos to "more than a feeling" and "Unnatural Selection" to be of similar difficulty. "Jessica" and "Sunshine of Your Love" are a bit tougher and requiring more time, I'm getting close with those but I seem to have to put in much more time than many on these forums to get to the same places.

crispyfunk's Avatar Senior Member
    I have been working on these songs since the game came out and most of the time the solos were stuck at a low level, i even got so frustrated with a few solos (yellow moon band solo) i told myself "ill never learn this" and i stopped even trying to level it up for a long time at least two months, it was that break away from the solo that i think helped , as odd as that may sound. it was like when i went back i knew what i was getting my self into and i was more ready for it and the whole solo seemed to kinda in a way play slower like my brain was able to process the information faster.

i know i still have a long way to go to be able to play these solos from memory, its funny that i can play it while watching it but i cant do it on my own with out RS helping. i guess that will come in
    time.

one other thing is i have been playing guitar for over 15 years so its hard to try to compare different skill levels because i know that im not that good and some times you see people that have not been playing as long as me but can play much better than me , so dont worrie to much about the score the main thing that is important is to try to push your self to get a little better and have fun while learning

funk, i've been playing on and off for 18 years (holy cow, i just realized i'm old!) and my girlfriends son when he was 15 could blow me away on guitar just afer a few years of him playin. some ppl progress much faster than others, but i am feel like i am pushing thru a barrier lately,

ekffazr's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by JTCoop Go to original post
    I'm still in a sort of "I hate solos" place. Anything in particular that seemed to get you over the hump?
    add me to this list

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    If you're into the science of learning presented in a fairly accessible way, read the book Guitar Zero. I forget the author's name, but he's a cognitive psychologist who takes a sabbatical in his mid-40s to learn guitar and try to understand the talent vs. hard work debate. He meets and interviews a lot of world-class musicians along the way, and attends one of the rock camps. Well worth the time to read, if the subject interests you.

well while watching that pr nightmare i sat here with my guit workin over the bit of the smoke on the water solo i was having trouble with, and after it was over i went andleveled up the song all the way, and then unlocked master mode, yay, i still cant play it smoothly, but i can play it