Tracks don't record correctly?

I'm running IL2 1946 4.11.1 and the tracks seem to take off in their own direction. What I watch on the track is not how the mission really went. Does anyone know what causes this?

S!

Tully__'s Avatar Global Moderator
    I presume you're referring to tracks recorded using the "Save Track" button in the mission debrief screen? This is a known issue and there is no (cheap) cure.
    The game has two types of recording format, .trk files (using the Save Track button) and .ntrk files using the Quick Start/Save Track control (you'll find it in the controls screen in the game and will have to assign a key for it).

The first version shipped in the original 2001 release of the first game in the series and only works in single player. It works by recording the mission start conditions (the mission file) and all your control inputs during mission play. When played back, it simply replays the mission using your original control inputs. This works well provided the control inputs are applied at EXACTLY the same mission time as when originally played. If there are any delays of even as little as a millisecond or two during either recording or playback, the mission will have a different outcome. How different will depend on the delay length, frequency of delays, and how early in the mission delays begin. They can be caused by any number of things such as other processes running in background, system page file access, disk access, overstressed video or sound cards and so on.

The second format was introduced much later, in Aces Expansion Pack I think, to allow recording in mutliplayer games.Missions recorded using the .ntrk format record start conditions and at frequent intervals add current damage, speed, direction and orientation for every object in the game. As a result, these files are much larger for the same recording length but the overall mission result is pretty much as played. You will still see minor discrepancies such as a shot that hit in the original just misses in the playback, however the damage is still recorded and shown on the target.

Thanks Tully,

I'm using a laptop with onboard intel video & Windows 7 Home Premium. I've just upgraded from 4Gb to 8Gb of RAM. I use Gamebooster. The game works great, especially in Directx, even though I've never been a fan of it, I've loved Opengl since the original Quake! But Directx gives me triple the framerates.

Anyhow back to the tracks. I've backed off the sound & video settings to be a little easier on the memory Things have improved but I still get a rogue track from time to time.

Thanks for the info.

S!