Taylortony's Avatar Senior Member
    Once in a while when skinning I stumble across a story that I had never heard before and that leads from one thing to another. Not having realised that Mexico took part in WW 2 I started reading up on this remarkable story and found that Mexico did indeed take part and are justifiably proud of there contribution to the war.

Although initially neutral Mexico declared war on the Axis powers after the sinking of two Mexican oil-tankers (Potrero de Liano and Faja de Oro) by German U-boats in May, 1942. The USA and Mexico had had an agreement in place for unlimited reciprocal use of airfields and facilities since April 1941 and after Mexico had declared war the USAAF established a number of training bases in Mexico to train personnel. Basic pilot training was done at Guadalajara after which the students moved to USAAF schools for advanced training. By July 1944 enough Mexicans had been trained to form three squadrons. One of these, Expeditionary Squadron 201, had finished training and was commissioned for active service in February 1945. Arriving in the Philippines in March, it commenced operations as a part of the Fifth Air Corps USAAF flying Republic P-47 Thunderbolts. It continued to operate against Japanese forces in the Philippines, and later over Formosa, until the end of the war. The Squadron was commended by General McArthur, and because it was a highly visible example of Mexico‚'s war effort, it received a hero‚'s welcome when the personnel returned home in November 1945.

Therefore as a tribute to these brave people that fought alongside and in support of the American troops I have produced a P47D-27 skin based on the scheme worn by the P47D-30 operated in the Phillipines in 1945 and operated by the Escudron de Pelea 201, Mexican Air Force. attached to the 58th FG (USAAF), Luzon (Phillipines), April 1945.

The one thing due to the modelling limitations of Forgotten Battles is the prop spinner should be in red which i cannot replicate, the P47D carries full American markings with added banding and the Mexican markings on the opposite wings, additionally the Mexican flag colours are carried on the rudder along with a white nose and the Squadron crest on the port side of the fuselage.

I have enjoyed doing this one and it has been a slow process of locating information on it, but I feel it was well worth the effort and i hope you all enjoy the final result.

Enjoy
    TonyT

http://www.il2skins.com/?action=display&skinid=13320

[This message was edited by Taylortony on Fri July 09 2004 at 12:29 AM.]

Once in a while when skinning I stumble across a story that I had never heard before and that leads from one thing to another. Not having realised that Mexico took part in WW 2 I started reading up on this remarkable story and found that Mexico did indeed take part and are justifiably proud of there contribution to the war.

Although initially neutral Mexico declared war on the Axis powers after the sinking of two Mexican oil-tankers (Potrero de Liano and Faja de Oro) by German U-boats in May, 1942. The USA and Mexico had had an agreement in place for unlimited reciprocal use of airfields and facilities since April 1941 and after Mexico had declared war the USAAF established a number of training bases in Mexico to train personnel. Basic pilot training was done at Guadalajara after which the students moved to USAAF schools for advanced training. By July 1944 enough Mexicans had been trained to form three squadrons. One of these, Expeditionary Squadron 201, had finished training and was commissioned for active service in February 1945. Arriving in the Philippines in March, it commenced operations as a part of the Fifth Air Corps USAAF flying Republic P-47 Thunderbolts. It continued to operate against Japanese forces in the Philippines, and later over Formosa, until the end of the war. The Squadron was commended by General McArthur, and because it was a highly visible example of Mexico‚'s war effort, it received a hero‚'s welcome when the personnel returned home in November 1945.

Therefore as a tribute to these brave people that fought alongside and in support of the American troops I have produced a P47D-27 skin based on the scheme worn by the P47D-30 operated in the Phillipines in 1945 and operated by the Escudron de Pelea 201, Mexican Air Force. attached to the 58th FG (USAAF), Luzon (Phillipines), April 1945.

The one thing due to the modelling limitations of Forgotten Battles is the prop spinner should be in red which i cannot replicate, the P47D carries full American markings with added banding and the Mexican markings on the opposite wings, additionally the Mexican flag colours are carried on the rudder along with a white nose and the Squadron crest on the port side of the fuselage.

I have enjoyed doing this one and it has been a slow process of locating information on it, but I feel it was well worth the effort and i hope you all enjoy the final result.

Enjoy
    TonyT

http://www.il2skins.com/?action=display&skinid=13320

[This message was edited by Taylortony on Fri July 09 2004 at 12:29 AM.]

VIVA MEXICO!!!!!!!

"Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary force:
    You are about to embark upon a Great Crusade toward which we have strived these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking" - Gen. Dwight D. Eiseinhower-Supreme Allied Commander.

"NO, Do, or Do not....there is no try." All Powerful Master Yoda

"I find your lack of faith disturbing." Darth Vader

www.vultures-row.com

tsisqua's Avatar Senior Member
    Congratulations.

I learn something new every day here. Thanks for the elightenment. I was not even aware that this squadron even existed.

~S~

Tsisqua

I think its a great skin, and a great story.I had no idea that Mexico was involved in that way.Just goes to show that we tend to focus on the 'main' combatants, when really it truly was a 'world war' .

Yeah Baby!!

Wasn't aware of that TT. Very nice skin man!

Thank you it is my intention to produce more skins from rarer and often forgotten countries operating the Aircraft in the Forgotten battles Aircraft listing, whilst some may well be out of the war period i feel that they may well be of enjoyment to people playing IL2 Forgotten Battles from those countries and as such I have already started, I have a Brazillian SAR B17 online amongst others and more Countries will follow, I realise thse will never reach the downloads of the likes of the major players Skins of WW2 but that does not interest me if it makes skins available to people across the world of some of the countries that operated these types and they get enjoyment from them, then i'm a happy chappy .........................

Good to see some of your work again old man lol

Your not getting my Buffalo wings

Udidtoo's Avatar Senior Member
    Cool story and another great skin. Aztec Eagle should really enjoy this one.

I always have just enough fuel to arrive at the scene of my crash.

Hello Tony

its nice to read the reason and story for the skin.
    Thanks for sharing