Dieinthedark's Avatar Senior Member

Blood and other combat related stuff

I know this is a small detail but on replaying AC1 again, I have to say that the fights had aspects that were a lot better. Namely the blood effects. AC2 - ACR the blood was just really fake looking, just like red stuff. I realize this is a small issue but I'd like to throw my voice out for blood effects to return to AC1 style. The other thing that I really liked better in AC1 were the weapon hitting weapon/metal on metal sounds. The sounds of the swords hitting together really added what seemed like "weight" to the weapons and made the combat stand out a bit more. It "felt" more like actual combat imho...

Anyway, what do you think? You prefer blood effects in AC1 or AC2- ACR? How do you want it to be in AC3? What game had the best combat sounds? Anything else related to combat? Just wondering about the community on this one....

EDIT: I almost forgot too, the sounds during the counter kills in AC1, specifically with the short blade to the skull, still makes me cringe! What game did you think had the best counter kill sounds?

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    I agree, AC2 sounded like "SWOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooo00OSHHHHHHHHHHHHH". I preffered the clunk of AC1 too.

rileypoole1234's Avatar Senior Member
    I like the combat to feel quick and lethal. AC1 to me felt slow, and you really only had to counter. ACR was my favorite in terms of speed. None of them had enough to worry about in terms of enemies, so I'm glad AC3 is adding many more different types of enemies. The blood looked the most fake to me in AC1 interestingly. If you hit someone with a sword, the blood wouldn't shoot out like a mist as it does in AC1. There wouldn't really be blood until a second or two after the wound is inflicted. I think the blood looks better in the screen shots we've seen so far of AC3. I just hope it doesn't shoot out of a bullet wound like a jet of water, because that doesn't happen really unless you hit the person in the right spot.

JCearlyyears's Avatar Senior Member
    I agree(with OP). I prefer AC1's blood and sounds. I thought that it was weird in revelations when the sounds were really weak sounding. Just my opinion. I prefer AC1's combat, and hope that AC3 is similar.( and what was up with the weird stream of whatever behind Ezio's sword in AC2?)

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I loved feeling quick/lethal but I also didn't mind timing those sword strikes just right for combo kills either. I actually didn't figure that out till like my third playthrough how much quicker you can be using those lol

JCearlyyears's Avatar Senior Member
    I like that the combat felt more paced in AC1.

TheHumanTowel's Avatar Senior Member
    I prefer AC2's blood effects. It splatters all over the place and actually lands on Ezio and gets his armour and clothes bloody. AC1 had the blood spray out in a red cloud and I didn't really like that.

pacmanate's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by JCearlyyears Go to original post
    I agree(with OP). I prefer AC1's blood and sounds. I thought that it was weird in revelations when the sounds were really weak sounding. Just my opinion. I prefer AC1's combat, and hope that AC3 is similar.( and what was up with the weird stream of whatever behind Ezio's sword in AC2?)
    A horrible animus effect!

LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by pacmanate Go to original post
    A horrible animus effect!
    Yep. Though I don't consider it horrible.

Oh ye with >10K posts, what is your opinion of blood/sounds etc?