1. #21
    LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,058
    Originally Posted by frogger504 Go to original post
    My PC is built on 20 Dollars for 2GB RAM and a 50 Dollar GPU, play everything on High-Ultra High without a problem and have noticed that Consoles are equal to Low quality on PC.

    So no. (Has played ACB for every single console)



    That's a rumor started by a completely random and anonymous person. It could have been LightRey being against Nintendo and trying to bring down hype for it.
    I presume you built your own PC then. I didn't have to build my own Xbox. It was several people actually, but I presume you didn't read the article (btw, there are more articles, that one was just the first I managed to find with a quick google search) well enough.

    Ssly? It was me? Don't be ridiculous.
    Share this post

  2. #22
    frogger504's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    U S of Agh
    Posts
    800
    Originally Posted by LightRey Go to original post
    I presume you built your own PC then. I didn't have to build my own Xbox. It was several people actually, but I presume you didn't read the article (btw, there are more articles, that one was just the first I managed to find with a quick google search) well enough.

    Ssly? It was me? Don't be ridiculous.

    I didn't say it was you, I said it Could have been you.



    Don't see how you figure a Gaming PC will get outdated before a Console. Considering they are about Low on the PC scale, and have like what 512MB of RAM? With 300 you can get a good Gaming PC. Not only that but it will last a lot longer. 4 times the RAM at the cheapest, standard it 4 so 8 times the RAM. Then there's the fact that it's so much more powerful. Even using my PCs standards where I average High having spent 70 dollars (and 50 for the PC). Consoles, from what you said last 5 years? Then the console generation is another level higher? From what I heard of the Next X it won't have anything too impressive, a GPU less impressive than my own if the rumor is true.

    I don't see where you get that they will last less. As a matter of fact do you even know anything of PC?
    Share this post

  3. #23
    Originally Posted by LightRey Go to original post
    The problem is that most of the extras PC's get require a lot of power. Additionally, unless you specifically buy or build a PC as a gaming platform, your PC is not built solely for games and therefore a lot of its power is wasted on other things than the game. To actually keep enjoying the perks of the PC, you generally have to keep adding RAM, replacing video cards, replacing the processor, etc. It's just a hassle, and generally much more expensive than just buying a ~$300 console once that lasts for over half a decade.
    Actually, with a good investment, you could last on one computer for a while. Especially so these days, when most "PC" games top out only a little ahead of console games.

    Now, if you want the most out of your gaming PC all the time, then yes, you definitely need to keep up with new tech. But if you're up to that, time/money probably isn't too much of an issue.

    My PC has been going strong for years. The occasional video card and such things are necessary, and do indeed stack up the cash for maintenance. But in return, I get a flexible, reliable, and fairly top-notch gaming experience. I don't buy every new piece of hardware that comes out, but I, for the most part, still have no issue keeping my new games running on high settings.

    Besides, cost is a rather unfounded argument against a gaming PC. If a gamer added up all the cash spent on new games alone, not hardware... well, anyone with a good record of purchases would probably whimper at the collective amount. I know I would.

    As far as hassle goes, it totally depends on what you want / how much you know about PC's. I tend to game on my consoles nowadays; it's just easier. I game on the PC, but it's usually just the odd MMO, strategy game, PC-exclusive, and the like. Some people don't game on their PC's at all because they just don't want to deal with learning the ins and outs of fixes, patches, game-code, etc. Now, you don't need to be computer-savvy to run a game on the PC by any means, but that knowledge helps to get the most out of a game, which is often what PC-gamers want.

    Anyway, long way to say, with a good set-up guide, you could build a reasonable PC that will last a while without replacement no problem. Just don't expect to get the most out of it that whole time unless you're willing to replace some parts. Sometimes you'll just have to run it on what the consoles would run it on.
    Share this post

  4. #24
    LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    13,058
    Originally Posted by frogger504 Go to original post
    I didn't say it was you, I said it Could have been you.



    Don't see how you figure a Gaming PC will get outdated before a Console. Considering they are about Low on the PC scale, and have like what 512MB of RAM? With 300 you can get a good Gaming PC. Not only that but it will last a lot longer. 4 times the RAM at the cheapest, standard it 4 so 8 times the RAM. Then there's the fact that it's so much more powerful. Even using my PCs standards where I average High having spent 70 dollars (and 50 for the PC). Consoles, from what you said last 5 years? Then the console generation is another level higher? From what I heard of the Next X it won't have anything too impressive, a GPU less impressive than my own if the rumor is true.

    I don't see where you get that they will last less. As a matter of fact do you even know anything of PC?
    I don't. PC's get outdated quickly period. Consoles only get outdated compared to PC's, but (since the last generation) to compensate for that they're often build to be (potentially) capable of much much more than what they're required to when released. Additionally, consoles are built mainly for playing video games. Basically all their potential is focused on that. There are no interfering programs for alternative purposes running in the background and they're built to be under a lot of strain for long periods of time. Face it, unless you have a lot of money or know enough about computers to build your own (or have a good friend/family member that does), you will not be able to keep your PC up to date, which basically means that you'll miss out on most of the potential perks the PC gives. That way you basically end up with something that's at best a little better than a console.
    Share this post

  5. #25
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,222
    I have 2 GB of RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo, and a GeForce 9800 GT.

    I can run most games on maximum settings.

    You don't need to have much better hardware than a console to get the most out of a gaming PC.


    Also, the fact that the Wii U has companies that pride themselves on top of the line graphics backing it up makes me think that it'll have good hardware.
    Share this post

  6. #26
    What are the specs of this so called "good gaming computer" that cost $300; you would get low end to decent at most if you found good deals. A good CPU: I5 2500K cost around $219 dollars, then you would have to get a MOBO that can support it (Asus P8P67 for example, around $125). That $300 dollar budget has already been surpassed with two parts.

    It just that Consoles are so terribly behind in hardware that a low-end gaming computer will still be better.
    Share this post

  7. #27
    Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    13,222
    A good computer is a computer that can handle most games at maximum settings. Since the bar is set so low, a good computer is relatively cheap these days.
    Share this post

  8. #28
    Originally Posted by LightRey Go to original post
    I don't. PC's get outdated quickly period. Consoles only get outdated compared to PC's, but (since the last generation) to compensate for that they're often build to be (potentially) capable of much much more than what they're required to when released. Additionally, consoles are built mainly for playing video games. Basically all their potential is focused on that. There are no interfering programs for alternative purposes running in the background and they're built to be under a lot of strain for long periods of time. Face it, unless you have a lot of money or know enough about computers to build your own (or have a good friend/family member that does), you will not be able to keep your PC up to date, which basically means that you'll miss out on most of the potential perks the PC gives. That way you basically end up with something that's at best a little better than a console.
    It this guy really arguing that consoles have greater shelf lives than PCs?

    This just isn't true. It's very easy to upgrade a PC and a standard person can do it with nothing more than a quick YouTube video or Google search. It's been called "Adult Legos" before. Honestly, it's called that for a reason. It's very easy. I get the feeling you're kind of like the "know it all" of these forums and that's cool; you may very well know more about Assassin's Creed than many people here, but trust me, as someone who has built plenty of PCs and regularly upgrades his computers with minimum hit to his cashflow and without very much effort: you're wrong.

    By the way, even by your own logic you're wrong. Current gen consoles are running off of a eight year old hardware; so even if someone has a pretty old PC with pretty old parts it still is vastly superior to the home consoles. Not a little better. Want a comparison? I won't even be obvious and say Skyrim or something of that nature! A little something closer to home. Assassin's Creed Revelations looks and runs far better on a PC than it does on the Xbox/PS3. And this is coming from someone who doesn't play AC on PC.
    Share this post

  9. #29
    Black_Widow9's Avatar Community Representative
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    16,458
    Yay for console wars!!!! Not.
    Please read the Forum Rules again if you need to. You will also find a bit in there about not harassing other members that is important as well if you want to remain on the Forums.
    Share this post