rogermack50's Avatar Member

Recording to Laptop/PC using Rocksmith Cable?

Most instructors/guitar websites state you should start recording your playing.
    I was looking on Amazon for ways to connect my guitar to my Laptop through a USB connection and up came the Rocksmith cable. Amazon states "The 11.25 feet cable will also allow players to plug in and record their instrument directly into their computer at 48KHz." So with that being solved, how do I proceed in recording myself.

I read many of the reviews and most stated use Apple's "GarageBand".

Unfortunately, I have a Windows 7 Laptop.

My question is what software are you people using? Keeping in mind 2 important things:
    1) Ease of use
    2) keeping prices as low as possible (Free is good)

Your responses are appreciated "most of the time".

Mac

Steel_Nirvana's Avatar Senior Member
    Probably a dumb question given your OP....but do you by chance have an iPad or iPhone? There are a couple of apps that not only let you record, but also let you use your own music as backing tracks, with speed control.

The_Penguin222's Avatar Senior Member
    Audacity. It's free!

Originally Posted by The_Penguin222 Go to original post
    Audacity. It's free!
    I second Audacity for a free product it's pretty good and supports VST. I've recorded with it by plugging my guitar directly into the line in port of my Windows 7 laptop. Highly recommend using ASIO4ALL drivers though.

I'll download Audacity and Ampitube and see which one works easier for me.
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Mac

Me too...

I recorded myself on Audacity, but with my acoustic and just with the mic on my laptop. I also downloaded the AVLInux live disc and started that, but really wasn't sure where to go next.

I searched around some and if you connect your guitar to your laptop with the Real Tone cable, you can record yourself with Audacity by following these directions: http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1871. The recording device you are looking for says "rocksmith" something.

Audacity is a free, powerful, open source recording tool you can do a lot of audio/sound stuff with. It's way over my head for the most part, but it's easy to record something and export it to MP3.

Hope this helps!
     1 people found this helpful

Pancho X1's Avatar Senior Member
    sweet. I'm looking to do this too. I'll need to check these both out as well. thanks for the recomendations guys.

I did download Audacity and it worked perfectly. After downloading the Lame option it recognized MP3's. I opened a MP3 The Thrill is Gone w/ BB King and Gary Moore.
    Once I saved it as a Audacity project file instead of a MP3 file, I could record my guitar with it. Very Nice. Only problem there is no Distortion selection etc for guitar.
    So now I can take the Jam tracks from my http://www.truefire.com lessons and play with them while recording which is kind of neat. Send them to a instructor or post them if needed.
    This opens up a new world for me.

Thanks

Band in a Box or PowerTracks Pro audio are easy to use, but not free.. like 50 bucks. recommend a sound card and ASIO4ALL anyway.. FL studio is a Dream of recording software and a stupid price. There's a way to get it for free, I don't recommend it tho. Both programs will recognize the RS cable and recording is a breeze. for me anyway...