🛈 Announcement
Greetings! Assassin's Creed forums are now archived and accessible in read-only mode, please go to the new platform to discuss the game.
    frogger504's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by DoubleclickTF Go to original post
    Wow. It's like I'm talking in some other language.

I'm talking about a symbol thousands of years old, and you're talking about a late 20th century trademark.
    I understood quite well but why should a 20th century trademark be sued about?

Originally Posted by frogger504 Go to original post
    This post brightened up my day.

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by frogger504 Go to original post
    Oh. My. God.

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by GeneralTrumbo Go to original post
    Why?
    I don't know what you're asking.

I had been giving an example of another old symbol which can (and has) been used as a business logo, but is public domain: nobody can claim ownership of a five-pointed star, just as the Abstergo logo is an extremely old symbol.

brick177's Avatar Senior Member
    While the Pentacle and Pentagram are both sometimes associated with Satan, neither has anything to do with Satan. Both symbols were widely used throughout Pagan traditions and when Christianity converted pagans, they took everything about the Pagan religion and associated it with Satan to ostracize people who continued to practice.

I will add, as far as trademark law goes, there is no case for a trademark lawsuit if you were to blatantly rip off a symbol used in a game. You could have a copyright infringement issue if you stole the exact artwork used in the game but not a trademark issue. Abstergo is not a real company, therefore it is not a real trademark.

Funbun777's Avatar Member
    hugh thats funny because i saw an even more authentic abstergo triangle on a pharmacy in orlando florida when i was on vacation with my family

couldent get a pic though

brick177's Avatar Senior Member
    I wonder if the triangle comes from the East India Trading Company. There's been speculation that the Templars might be using the EIC as a front in AC3 and that EIC eventually becomes Abstergo.

This is an EIC symbol complete with what could be Templar crosses. Imagine drawing a triangle around it....

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    Huh, imagine that.

Freemason logo:

East Indian Trading Company Logo:

Assassins and Templars all over the place.

Tetsou88's Avatar Member
    Originally Posted by Jexx21 Go to original post
    Huh, imagine that.

Freemason logo:

East Indian Trading Company Logo:

Assassins and Templars all over the place.
    Freemason's does look spot on for the Assassins. I wonder if the Freemasons will be related to the Assassins, even though historically they are derived from Templars.

Originally Posted by Funbun777 Go to original post
    hugh thats funny because i saw an even more authentic abstergo triangle on a pharmacy in orlando florida when i was on vacation with my family

couldent get a pic though
    Two Abstergo like logos in Florida? I think the Templar may be around here.

Jexx21's Avatar Senior Member
    The Assassins did originally land in Florida at the beginning of the 16th century. (While Ezio was still in Assassin business, interestingly enough)