brick177's Avatar Senior Member

George Washington's Speech in AC3 Trailer

The time is now near at hand which must probably determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their houses and farms are to be pillaged and destroyed, and themselves consigned to a state of wretchedness from which no human efforts will deliver them. The fate of unborn millions will now depend, under God, on the courage and conduct of this army. Our cruel and unrelenting enemy leaves us only the choice of brave resistance, or the most abject submission. We have, therefore, to resolve to conquer or die.

GEORGE WASHINGTON, address to the Continental Army before the battle of Long Island, Aug. 27, 1776

-------------------------

The parts in bold are the parts he says in the trailer. I'm wondering, since it was winter in the trailer, if they just have him giving the same speech at multiple times? Or if there really was snow on Long Island in August that year? I have no problem with him giving the same speech at different locations. I've posted before how historically George Washington was never in the Mohawk Valley. So, what can we figure out about the battle displayed in the trailer? Was it part of the New Jersey/Pennsylvania Campaign which would include Valley Forge? Was there snow on Long Island in August? Or, did they break historical continuity and put George Washington in the Saratoga Campaign of the Mohawk Valley?

Rycay's Avatar Member
    According to wikipedia Long Island can apparently get snow.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island

I wouldn't really know. I've never been to NY.

Yeah, I know it does snow there, I meant in August when the battle took place.

jmk1999's Avatar Moderator
    historical fiction meant to feel more dramatic. clearly it never snows in august... particularly when i know from experience that it's hot and humid in new york during month of august... the most you'll probably get is rain, which happened as well... ridiculously sticky, wet, humid rain...

UrDeviant1's Avatar Senior Member
    Did anyone else think he had an English accent In the trailer? Is there a reason for this?

They were English colonies, so they would have had at least mild English accents.

Radman500's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by brick177 Go to original post
    They were English colonies, so they would have had at least mild English accents.
    I thought by that time early Americans and colonial Americans had a completely different accent then the british

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Radman500 Go to original post
    I thought by that time early Americans and colonial Americans had a completely different accent then the british
    I don't know, but many upper class accents on the East Coast of the USA still sound more or less like a kind of English accent today.

jmk1999's Avatar Moderator
    not necessarily... they still dealt with the british fairly regularly during import and export of traded goods. obviously there will be a fair amount of british occupation which is the primary reason why the revolution started. if the british occupation wasn't there, considering there's an entire ocean between the two continents, i find it hard to believe the colonists would lash out in the way they did. it's fairly unlikely that there would be very few brits there to let the colonists run around unchecked. for example, the boston massacre was supposedly started by some kids throwing snowballs or rocks... can't remember... at british soldiers occupying the area. this was one of the events that triggered the american revolution.

Originally Posted by Radman500 Go to original post
    No. All the way up to Lincoln's time American accents were very similar to English, or at least his was. As a point of reference for any Brits out there most accents were more from the Midlands (Norfolk, Cambridgeshire) than other parts of the country. It's actually quite funny to imagine these great American figures of history with what we would think of as quite humourous accents.