Assassin's Creed III biggest Assassin's Creed yet.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/38186/assassins...ggest-to-date/
    CEO Yves Guillemot has just said that Assassin's Creed III will be massive.
    He also talked about the yearly releases and that it attracts new fans.

D.I.D.'s Avatar Senior Member
    "We are pleased with our continued success so far: in the US, Assassin's Creed: Revelations was a Top Ten title for the entire calendar year, which shows that the demand is definitely there.
    "We think that delivering regular instalments and expanding the brand to other platforms will continue to satisfy the demand, while at the same time attracting new fans.
    "And we're confident that the next instalment of Assassin's Creed will be the biggest to date."
    That really isn't good news.

If they want to keep getting new fans, they need to kill off this convoluted story as quickly as possible with AC3, so that current players and new players know about as much as each other when we get AC4. Otherwise, nobody new is going to be able to figure out what's going on, and you can'y expect them to have to read an encyclopaedia to get a grip on the storyline.

No more direct involvement of TWCB would be a very good idea, I think. The idea of emergency messages sent forward in time during a cataclysmic event is going to be beyond silly if it turns out they've got an eternal supply of predictions and prophecies.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    I don't think anybody is denying that there is demand for the franchise to continue, but only if it doesn't begin to weaken due to bad writing and less development time. It seemed a given that Revelations was going to sell big, the pre-order numbers alone were already high, but once the reviews started pouring in, it quickly became obvious it wasn't quite what most fans or reviewers had hoped for. If they continue with the yearly releases after AC3, I think this kind of dissatisfaction will quickly start to show in sales records. If the AC franchise eventually begins to run out of steam, it won't be because there is no more potential in the series, it will be due to overexposure and declining quality.

I'm still looking forward to AC3 and how they will wrap up Desmond's story, but after that Ubisoft is going to have to seriously impress me with something new and fantastic if they want me to keep supporting the franchise.

There is a high demand for the franchise, but that's because of the high quality of Assassin's Creed 2 and the mysterious story for the most part. If the quality of the series and story do not reach AC2 levels again, that demand will go away in a hurry. I don't think yearly installments are the problem as much as yearly development cycles. If a game of AC2 scope and quality came out every year, the demand would likely remain. If we get a game with Revelations' limited scope and rushed nature every year, and the overall plot does not advance, the demand will dwindle.

kriegerdesgottes's Avatar Senior Member
    ugh he just doesn't get it. Every time I try to reboost my hope for the franchise, this guy comes around and deletes all hope I had. If this franchise continues to make annual installments it will die. Period. Not just because of the lack of quality that many on here pretend not to see but also just straight out franchise fatigue. If this next game doesn't just blow my mind like ACII did then I am 100% done with AC.

GunnarGunderson's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by kriegerdesgotte Go to original post
    ugh he just doesn't get it. Every time I try to reboost my hope for the franchise, this guy comes around and deletes all hope I had. If this franchise continues to make annual installments it will die. Period. Not just because of the lack of quality that many on here pretend not to see but also just straight out franchise fatigue. If this next game doesn't just blow my mind like ACII did then I am 100% done with AC.
    Agreed. Not to mention the multiplayer that nobody cares about but for some reason takes up alot of the dev time and resources

LightRey's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by kriegerdesgotte Go to original post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Up until now the sales rates have only increased with each installment. I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if they continue doing yearly releases. Every bit of statistical evidence indicates that the series' popularity will only increase.

GLHS's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by LightRey Go to original post
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. Up until now the sales rates have only increased with each installment. I don't see that changing anytime soon, even if they continue doing yearly releases. Every bit of statistical evidence indicates that the series' popularity will only increase.
    Omg for once I actually agree with you. I have no problem with the yearly releases as long as it's not killing the franchise, which I don't believe it's doing. Plus, as they've already stated, AC3 has to, and is their intention, to come out in 2012 for the storyline to make sense and be current. I do not believe that multiplayer is their focus or main reason for sales either. People should also realize that AC3 will most likely be the last one and the main story wrap up, and if that's the case, then it won't have a chance to die from being released yearly since it will only have one more year left.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by BradKinn Go to original post
    Agreed. Not to mention the multiplayer that nobody cares about but for some reason takes up alot of the dev time and resources
    I understand not everybody likes multiplayer and that's fine, but to say "nobody cares about it" is just plain false. The multiplayer forum here is very active, perhaps even more so than the single-player side. It also seems clear to me that the main reason Ubisoft made Revelations into a full game instead of the Nintendo DS title it was originally meant to be was because the multiplayer was extremely popular and they wanted to milk it. The multiplayer side is done by an entirely separate studio from the one that handles the single-player side of things, so I don't think it's a valid argument to claim it takes away time and resources from the single-player stuff. If there is a problem with the multiplayer, it's that just like the SP side, the team aren't given enough time to test and fix certain problems before release, leaving us with a buggy product. Hate MP all you want, hate it because it doesn't work for you or because you don't like playing it, not because you assume the MP is somehow responsible for the problems with SP. And don't say nobody cares about it when the opposite is obviously true.

GLHS's Avatar Senior Member
    I can see why people don't like MP though. Assassin's Creed is a SP game, and in my opinion, always will be. MP is just an addition. This isn't CoD. Their priority is MP first, everything else later. AC is differerent and I believe always will be.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►