MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

Today, I watched on DVD the film 'Atonement'. It won major awards last year.

It was made by the British film industry who are well known for denigrating anything to do with the British military, police or anything relating to British history.

Not wishing to spoil the film for any viewers but there was an incident portrayed in the film which I take exception to.

The incident related to three British soldiers making their way to Dunkirk in 1940. For some reason, one of the soldiers was black. There were no black soldiers in the British Army at that time.

Does anyone remember the film 'Zulu'?

It related the true account of 120 Welsh/English soldiers in 1879 fighting against a few thousand Zulu warriors in South Africa.

Today, the Zulu people and the descendents of the soldiers have great respect for each other.

But, if the Zulu people in the film had a number of white guys inserted into their side for the sake of political correctness , how would they have considered this?

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

MB_Avro_UK's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

It was made by the British film industry who are well known for denigrating anything to do with the British military, police or anything relating to British history.

Not wishing to spoil the film for any viewers but there was an incident portrayed in the film which I take exception to.

The incident related to three British soldiers making their way to Dunkirk in 1940. For some reason, one of the soldiers was black. There were no black soldiers in the British Army at that time.

Does anyone remember the film 'Zulu'?

It related the true account of 120 Welsh/English soldiers in 1879 fighting against a few thousand Zulu warriors in South Africa.

Today, the Zulu people and the descendents of the soldiers have great respect for each other.

But, if the Zulu people in the film had a number of white guys inserted into their side for the sake of political correctness , how would they have considered this?

Just a thought.

Best Regards,
    MB_Avro.

Airmail109's Avatar Senior Member
    Well I have nothing to say, I don't feel like being labeled by either side in the 20 pager thats going to result from this.

All I can say is blahhh, there have been plenty of white dudes saving native American tribes single handidly in films.

P.C. is a bogus attempt to rewrite history..

heywooood's Avatar Senior Member
    Has Political Correctness Gone Mad?

yes - yes it has...

I saw the 300 yesterday and it was nothing like Sin City..soooo...uhh...you know.

zardozid's Avatar Senior Member
    No blacks at all? Wow...didn't know that.

Are you bothered by the fact that the film is inaccurate, or does it bother you that some people might get the wrong idea about blacks in the English service?

Its only a movie...I'm not sure that this qualifies as "PC gone mad". I don't think the film makers had an agenda when they cast a black soldier in the British army. I think they just cast an interesting actor in the role. The weird thing is that I didn't even think about him being "out of place"...I guess I just assumed that in the UK a black guy could end up in the army (somehow)...

The US military was segregated...and although it was rare that you might find a black soldier walking with a white soldier I suppose it could have happend given the right circumstances....But you are saying that their was no blacks in the whole of the English service? I never knew that...

jadger's Avatar Senior Member
    have you read the book "Atonement"? because the movie is based on the book. I was supposed to read it for my contemporary literature class in college a few years ago, and gathering by the conversation in class, it was a good book. Before you blast the movie for being overly PC, make sure the character is not black in the book. I don't know if he was black in the book or not, and I sold my copy, so I cant look it up for you Just saying, maybe they were following the faulty story of the book rather than real history.

If I remember correctly from the book, he is put in jail (falsely) for raping his lover, and then gets sent into the British army while in jail to serve his jail sentence that way. I dont know if that sort of thing happened, but to me that sounds ridiculous, sending people with reason to desert into your frontlines. did the prison army thing happen IRL?

zardozid's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jadger:
    have you read the book "Atonement"? because the movie is based on the book. I was supposed to read it for my contemporary literature class in college a few years ago, and gathering by the conversation in class, it was a good book. Before you blast the movie for being overly PC, make sure the character is not black in the book. I don't know if he was black in the book or not, and I sold my copy, so I cant look it up for you Just saying, maybe they were following the faulty story of the book rather than real history.

If I remember correctly from the book, he is put in jail (falsely) for raping his lover, and then gets sent into the British army while in jail to serve his jail sentence that way. I dont know if that sort of thing happened, but to me that sounds ridiculous, sending people with reason to desert into your frontlines. did the prison army thing happen IRL? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe they are trying to suggest that he is in a Regiment of "misfits"? The Regiment is made up of criminals, blacks, and whoever else they don't know what to do with (I don't know)?

Never mind that bolox what about those little fury bastiges in Return of the Jedi!!! Every one knows there were no Ewoks in the Rebel alliance until after the death of Palpatine and that was just positive discrimination to offset the tribbles in the federation !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MB_Avro_UK:
    Hi all,

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, your expectations are too high. Complain when you see a "historical movie" about the British Army, where every single platoon has a black, an Indian, a Chinese, a g@y and a lesbian member.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... Last ►►