I do not know if this has been brought up before but what is the possibility of seeing dynamic skins in BoB. When you start out you get a shiny new airplane and over time as you fire your guns and have oil leaks and such your paint job starts to get discolored. And what about seeing patchwork on old bullet holes. Speaking of which, will individual bullet holes be modeled in BoB? This technology has been around since B17-2 and how many years ago was that? It was a very nice touch.

I do not know if this has been brought up before but what is the possibility of seeing dynamic skins in BoB. When you start out you get a shiny new airplane and over time as you fire your guns and have oil leaks and such your paint job starts to get discolored. And what about seeing patchwork on old bullet holes. Speaking of which, will individual bullet holes be modeled in BoB? This technology has been around since B17-2 and how many years ago was that? It was a very nice touch.

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Now that would be neat!

Agreed. Dynamic weathering effects on a paint job is very common, and rather simple to acheive. I hope they do that for sure.
    The per-pixel bullet holes would also be very cool, and considering it's also another easy addition, it'd be nice to see.

How difficult would this be to do? Is this even possible for computers at this point while running everything else in the sim?

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Weathering effects only need to be calculated from a formula or looked up from a table once, before the mission starts, and the appropriate weathered skin loaded before the mission. Say the game tracks how often you fire your guns, so the amount of gunblast weathering is matched to a change in skin. Bullet holes should be part of the damage model I would guess? Yes? No?

The only problem would be spending development resources on something mostly invisible from inside the cockpit (upper wing surface excepted!!). For the Screenshot Review magazines, perfect weathering and damage grafix modelling all over the airplane would help gain brownie points from the screenshot reviewers but this will have no effect on how long before customers put their sim on the shelf and forget about it.

Very nice option indeed... it would allow you to use one single aircraft and see how many sorties you can fly with it before getting shot down. Should we be able to wash our planes too????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by aukieboy:
    Very nice option indeed... it would allow you to use one single aircraft and see how many sorties you can fly with it before getting shot down. Should we be able to wash our planes too???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah sure. So we can get the maximum amount of speed and distance from a tank of fuel.

i would be nice if BoB would keep track of your kills and "paint" them for you when in dynamic campaign mode