Celeon999's Avatar Senior Member
    So i decided to install Windows Vista in a dual boot configuration. So far so good.

Did you know that you can install a fully bootable Vista on every hard drive partition ? Not just on primaries but also on the logical drives ?

Anyway, here is my problem :

Ive installed the latest Nvidia drives. Everything worked as it should , followed by the obligatory system reboot.

After reboot , windows started in 1024x768 or 1280x1024 resolution (not sure) ive logged in and waited until vista finished its usual background loading of stuff you never learn what its good for.

Just as i grab my mouse in order to go to the system properties to check the display settings, my monitor goes into sleep mode and stays in it. No key pushing or mouse moving made it come back.

Ive rebooted just to find out that my monitor now goes into sleep mode as soom as vista starts. I cant even see the login screen anymore.

Ive repeated this several times and it stays as it is.

So i used the safe mode to deinstall the drivers. When they were gone my monitor worked again in a normal vista boot.

Reinstalled the drivers to try everything a second time with the result that it happened again.

This time my monitor went into sleep mode right at first try , not after 2 minutes like at first attempt recreating the situation i had before.

Should i try to install monitor drivers first ? Could that be the solution ?

I really wonder what Vista's problem is here.

So i decided to install Windows Vista in a dual boot configuration. So far so good.

Did you know that you can install a fully bootable Vista on every hard drive partition ? Not just on primaries but also on the logical drives ?

Anyway, here is my problem :

Ive installed the latest Nvidia drives. Everything worked as it should , followed by the obligatory system reboot.

After reboot , windows started in 1024x768 or 1280x1024 resolution (not sure) ive logged in and waited until vista finished its usual background loading of stuff you never learn what its good for.

Just as i grab my mouse in order to go to the system properties to check the display settings, my monitor goes into sleep mode and stays in it. No key pushing or mouse moving made it come back.

Ive rebooted just to find out that my monitor now goes into sleep mode as soom as vista starts. I cant even see the login screen anymore.

Ive repeated this several times and it stays as it is.

So i used the safe mode to deinstall the drivers. When they were gone my monitor worked again in a normal vista boot.

Reinstalled the drivers to try everything a second time with the result that it happened again.

This time my monitor went into sleep mode right at first try , not after 2 minutes like at first attempt recreating the situation i had before.

Should i try to install monitor drivers first ? Could that be the solution ?

I really wonder what Vista's problem is here.

Ok little update here :

Ive installed the monitor drivers and reinstalled the nvidia drivers afterwards.

I got past the login screen and after about 20 seconds i got a window telling me :

........"Chelter or maybe Chelper or something" application has stopped working, Windows Vista is looking for a solution to the solve the problem.......

just for a second before my monitor went into energy conservation mode.

So far im hating Vista.

Faster, easier to use, even a faster and easier installation ....yeah right.

The installation took exactly as long as it would to install Windows XP and i cant even get a simple thing like a graphics driver to work properly.

With XP i never had such a weird problem right after install.

If people tell you Vista is total rubbish...

You should better believe them because i can assure you they are right

Kielhauler1961's Avatar Member
    A long, long way from Hampton Court Palace.
    Celeon,

Bill Gates stepped down from running Microsoft on Friday. Does he know something you don't?

Re-install XP and be a happy bunny again.

Messervy's Avatar Senior Member
    I bought a copy of Vista premium last year and it still waits better days. Vista SP3 I guess.

bunkerratt's Avatar Senior Member
    drop your pant's...bend over...and say thank you sir may i have another...3 times..

Ok i must admit that Windows XP didn't worked that well back then when it was released either.

But at least you could read the error messages on a functioning monitor

Through some google research ive found out that im not the only one having exactly the same problem.

A lot of people have it and most of them but strangely NOT ALL of them have Samsung CRTs.

Only one it seems has found a solution by accident.

I will try to install all drivers including the service pack with the graphics driver being the last thing.

He said that it worked for him although he doesnt know if it was the service pack or any of the updates Vista installs automatically without telling what they are good for.

I hate you Bill.

Oh yeah, did i mention that it is the "Ultimate" edition ?

Ultimate rubbish

Mittelwaechter's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi Cel,

are you sure your Samsung monitor is supported by Vista?

From their FAQs: Statement on Vista

Have you tried to run your setup without special drivers for the monitor?
    Doesn't Nvidia Control Panel offer all the stuff you may want to tweak?

Well my monitor is a Syncmaster 997MB and is propably not Vista certified.

Yes ive tried to run Vista with and without the Monitor drivers with the same result.

I would like to check the nvidia control panel but as i said, im blind as soon as i start Vista with installed gforce drivers

Sometimes i can get past the login screen, sometimes the monitor goes into standby right after the Vista loading bar dissappears.

With the standard VGA driver of Vista i have no problems at all.

I also installed service pack 1 and the nforce chipset driver for my mobo now. Then tried the geforce drivers again and click ! ... the same effect.

The only thing i can do is to start vista in safe mode and deinstall the graphics drivers again. Did that several times now after fruitless attempts.

Ive found about a dozen people on several tech forums who seem to have this problem too but nobody could help them so far.

One of them even has the problem with a flatscreen instead of a CRT.

But they all seem to have different Nvidia cards ! Maybe the Geforce Vista drivers are faulty ? Dont know.

Vista is useless without a working graphics driver setup.

klcarroll's Avatar Banned
    In your baffles; .....and opening my outer doors.
    @Celeon;

Try sending a PM to "andy3536".

He is a Vista user, ....and has, in the past, expressed his enthusiastic satisfaction with it.
    (I believe that he is some sort of I.T. person.)

klcarroll

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►