...reveals same problem as in every game in the IL-2 series: dive modelling. There is none.

In shallow or steep dives, A6M5 series can dive just as well as F6F. Just as, in FB/AEP, Spitfire Mk. IX dives just as well as FW190.

This will seriously impact Allied tactics against Japanese fighters. In the war, the only sure means to escape a pursuing Japanese fighter was to dive to max speed then roll or turn. This will not work in PF. Too bad.

...reveals same problem as in every game in the IL-2 series: dive modelling. There is none.

In shallow or steep dives, A6M5 series can dive just as well as F6F. Just as, in FB/AEP, Spitfire Mk. IX dives just as well as FW190.

This will seriously impact Allied tactics against Japanese fighters. In the war, the only sure means to escape a pursuing Japanese fighter was to dive to max speed then roll or turn. This will not work in PF. Too bad.

BuzzU's Avatar Senior Member
    Think B&Z with a wingman on the Zekes below doing their circle jerk.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bubiH:
    This will not work in PF. Too bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to put too fine a point on it, but thats Rubbish.

-nz,
    I think you are sugar coating it a bit too much.

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bubiH:

This will seriously impact Allied tactics against Japanese fighters. In the war, the only sure means to escape a pursuing Japanese fighter was to dive to max speed then roll or turn. This will not work in PF. Too bad. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you do a search on this? Someone recently proved there was dive modelling beyond question in ORR with graphs and all that kinda stuff.

I tested rigorously the F6F-5 against A6M2, A6M5, and A6M5c in both shallow (40 degree) and vertical dives from 5,000m. Same test I used to show that the Spitfire IX dives equal with FW-190A and FW-190D series in Forgotten Battles/AEP. This is an obvious FM problem, and I just wanted to check if anything had changed for Pacific Fighters.

My results: A6M5 series planes dive equally with the Hellcat (or any American plane). A6M2 is 5% slower in dives than the Hellcat. Of course, IRL, no Zero could stay with the American aircraft going downhill.

We will have to wait for a future flight sim to practice real, historical tactics. For now, we have a really fun game.

Enjoy!

Mullarkey! I'm not knowledgeable enough to say whether it is perfectly accurate, but dive modeling does exist in spades. Testing out planes in AEP from 5 km in a 60-degree dive- A6M begins to break apart at 680 km/h IAS, P-47 hits 900 km/h and has to pull out or risk running out of sky.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by effte:
    -nz,
    I think you are sugar coating it a bit too much. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... should I have gone with CAPS after all?

So bubiH, can we have a track so we can see what you have observed for ourselves?