Hello, guys. Making 457Sqn Spitfire MkVIII famous "Grey Nurse" skin now... What colour should it bear? Some sources give them as "standard RAF day fighters Dark Green + Ocean Grey over Med Sea Grey" scheme... Others give it as "Ocean Grey with Foliage Green":
    http://www.starduststudios.com/shark.htm
    According to other sources - "Dark Earth + Mid Stone repainted later with Foliage Green with Azure underside" which seem to me more likely... But where's the truth?
    I believe Kristorf or Nightshifter or eirinn know the truth...
    Thx in advance...

Regards,
    Mangas.

Hi Mangas
    Mmmm, I don't know if I know the truth.
    But, the info I used was from the Pacific Spitfires web site. The MkVIII spits from 457 Sqn(ZP) & 79 Sqn(UP) used RAF standard day fighter colours. This is how they come off the boat.
    Only 452 Sqn(QY) repainted their Spits, generally foliage green & RAAF sky blue.
    But with only B&W photos available, hard to tell if this correct. Go with what you feel looks good.
    Have fun getting the shark's mouth right, it started to sent me crazy. The info I got, from Pacific Spits and the Australian War Memorial, showed there is at least 4 different large shark mouths and 2 different small shark mouths.

A interest fact I didn't do on my skins, is that the Ocean Grey faded badly. By the end of the war the colours on the spit looked stange, Dark green and a very light grey on top.

eirinn

Thank you, Mark!
    Btw, if I'm not mistaken, you have a nice RAAF foliant... Is there any info about Spitfires coded ZP+Y and ZP+Q (and their colours) there?

Regards,
    Mangas.

sparty7200's Avatar Senior Member
    Anton..im gonna scan some stuff for you and send via pm m8!..hope it helps!

Sparty

Mangas, check your pm. Hope it helps, mate.

eirinn

Hey, Sparty & eirinn! I'm glad to have mates like you! The info you sent has everything I need!

Best wishes,
    Mangas.

sparty7200's Avatar Senior Member
    looks sweet m8..glad i could help , now where do i get it from?

Sparty

Top stuff. Only too happy to help.

eirinn

Originally posted by sparty7200:
    now where do i get it from?
    Sparty
    It's a part of my biggest "Spitfire MkVIII 10 in 1 skinpack" I'm finishing work over now...
    Plan to release it tomorrow... 8 skins are done... The last thing I need is a Spitfire MkVIII (RAF or USAAF -- no matter) profile in typical RAF dayfighter scheme with invasion stripes all over... Can't find such at the web... Anyone?

My regards,
    Mangas.

KRISTORF's Avatar Senior Member
    Mangas,
    Spit VIII's were used mainly in the Med Theatre and Far East mate, I have never seen a pic of one in Invasion markings, sorry.

Mark,
    Some nice stuff in the pack, I might even dust of the MkVc template and 'do' some, been a while but I might just........