I'm curious about why did the Stukas have sirens??

I mean, it couldn't have been because to warn the enemy like "RUN! We are gonna bomb you, so hide if you don't want to get killed"...

I'm curious about why did the Stukas have sirens??

I mean, it couldn't have been because to warn the enemy like "RUN! We are gonna bomb you, so hide if you don't want to get killed"...

Chuck_Older's Avatar Banned
    It scared the living beejesus out of troops, horses, civilians, you name it.

Don't look at it as a 21st century person, look at it as if airpower was still a new, not fully understood thing.

The hillsides ring with, "Free the People",
    Or can I hear the echoes from the days of '39?
    ~ Clash

I remember one poster said ages ago that it was to warn people to get outta the way! I had a good chuckle on that one!

If I'm not mistaken Stukas have no sirens. The sound you are talking about is produced by air brake. Pilots applyed air brake during the dive to slow it down for better aiming. Thet's all the secret.

Waiting another answer for that also. All accounts and sources I've read point only to psychological effect.

There actually was a siren, it was attached to one of the wheel struts. And, as everyone else pointed out, it was purely psychological.

Yeah just think about it. Better yet perfect example was the intro to "Enemy at the Gates" where all the troops are packed onto the boat crossing the river and the Stuka's are attacking. I am sure that would be scary.

"You can teach monkey's to fly better than that"

It's because it is the same sound which is telling all the stupid factory-workers that they are "off" now for the weekend! As soon as they step outside in the free...<kaboom>!!

Yes there was a siren maxim, if it was just the air-brake it would go puuuuummm as the wind slaps against the wing lol .

I think in this game some people are confused about what war is actually about. All true life pilots say they are aiming to put the aircraft of there objective out of action and not to kill the pilot.

So if the Stuka has a siren the people driving the tanks or what ever would be saying "Sh*t!! its a Stuka!! runnnn!!". Then you blow it up and the people have nothing to shoot you down with...Half the job is done just with a little siren hehe

http://www.jieitai.bravehost.com/

Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last ►►