Both the luftwaffe and the Japanese air-force tried it.

The German bombs were mainly time delayed SD-250s right?

Also what techniques are effective for aerial bombing in Il-2? The parafrags can be used but it is very hard to get them at the right altitude and position.

I find that the AB-500 has a very limited effect. But the AB-1000 can almost always be used to take out at least three bombers.

Ramming a Russian 5000kg bomb head on just after the Pe-8 has jettisoned it is also very effective.

Any other notes? Ideas? Techniques?

Both the luftwaffe and the Japanese air-force tried it.

The German bombs were mainly time delayed SD-250s right?

Also what techniques are effective for aerial bombing in Il-2? The parafrags can be used but it is very hard to get them at the right altitude and position.

I find that the AB-500 has a very limited effect. But the AB-1000 can almost always be used to take out at least three bombers.

Ramming a Russian 5000kg bomb head on just after the Pe-8 has jettisoned it is also very effective.

Any other notes? Ideas? Techniques?

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by avimimus:
    </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Out of desperate, I tried bombing TB-3s with SC50 bombs... Even if you hit, it is not necessary he will go down! And IRL Soviets withdrew them from daylight operations due to high losses against J8As.

IIRC only He111 and Ju87 can carry AB1000... So, you are climbing that high with that? How do you aim, what is your technique?

It only works on bombers you can get above (eg, B-24, low flying B-17s).

I aproach from at least 1000m above and then but the '87 into a shallow dive.

I approach the formation head on, so that I am diving only a little so that I can see the bombers. I come in fast and imagine/feel the course the bomb will take and then how the bomblettes will decellerate.

The bomb normally detonates a long way above the bombers and the AB-1000 with its multi-stage detonation produces a nice distribution.

Then the majestic rain falls through the formation at a forty-five degree angle.

Fire lights up the back of my cockpit and debris rains on the soil below.

Guaranteed to take out two or three bombers on average with practice!