While Im already saddend by whats become of the P38.. has anyone tried taking a Corsair off a carrier in 4.08m? I know alot of people just fly on hyperlobby and such.. but for those flying campaigns.. umm.. This has gotten pretty bad.
    Bad weather.. heavy load.. carrier moving at 40 knots.. the corsair falls off the front of the carrier like you pushed it off.

In clear weather... with JUST a load of rockets.. the carrier moving at 40 knots..
    the corsair drops within just a few feet of the water... and barely makes it.
    This is an AMAZINGLY sharp contrast to previous flight models.

This is with both C and D models and was tested in the iwo jima map.

Please tell me there will be a 4.09

While Im already saddend by whats become of the P38.. has anyone tried taking a Corsair off a carrier in 4.08m? I know alot of people just fly on hyperlobby and such.. but for those flying campaigns.. umm.. This has gotten pretty bad.
    Bad weather.. heavy load.. carrier moving at 40 knots.. the corsair falls off the front of the carrier like you pushed it off.

In clear weather... with JUST a load of rockets.. the carrier moving at 40 knots..
    the corsair drops within just a few feet of the water... and barely makes it.
    This is an AMAZINGLY sharp contrast to previous flight models.

This is with both C and D models and was tested in the iwo jima map.

Please tell me there will be a 4.09

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    Not having any serious problems.

I built a mission for the Kyushu map just with a little fun ground attack sortie. I'll probably release it as a single mission sometime.

Anyways I put the weather on Blind and the ship is the USS Essex moving at 55 kph (which I think its 30 kts or just about full speed). I couldn't get off with 100% fuel and some of the bigger loads but a perfectly normal carrier borne load of 2x500lb bombs and 8 HVAR rockets (again with 100% fuel) was not a problem. Yes there was a drop but gear up, flaps stay down, engine at full power and away we go.

Some of the biggest loads were never meant for carrier use so you have to keep that sort of thing in mind. The heaviest of configurations was either meant to be used with a catapult launch (we don't have that) or used by Marine Corsairs from much longer airstrips.

I didn't try this in the more rough seas but in calm weather I could also do 2x1000lb and 3x500lb with HVAR's as well.

Keep in mind that my usual carrier takeoff routine with heavy loads is:

1) Start engine
    2) Lock tailwheel and set flaps to combat
    3) Throttle to 110% and wait for the revs to stabilize
    4) Put fuel mix at 120% for maximum power
    5) Stick full back, counter rudder
    6) Release chocks
    7) Flaps down to takeoff
    8) Once off the deck gear is up, flaps back to combat, and throttle down to 100% after initial climb is achieved

What sort of loads are you trying to take off with?

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    I think widowmaker is on to something. I flew corsair (F4U-1C) from the carrier online tonight for the first time in 4.08 and it was amazingly hard for me to take off with it, even on 75% fuel and only default loadout. It's definitely changed (harder) from 4.07. Took me 3 tries to actually get airborne... and I thought it's only me.

I did that too...earlier...before reading this thread. No problem. Although the guy ahead of me couldn't get it off...but lots of dogfight server pilots are like that

Mind you...that was probably 25% fuel. Hrrmmmm...must try!

stansdds's Avatar Senior Member
    Corsair is porked again? Why does this not surprise me?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by stansdds:
    Corsair is porked again? Why does this not surprise me? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Test it for yourself. Its performing just fine from my perspective. Still testing the take off performance but other than that...its still what you'd expect. Its far more stable and capable than before.

F4U (& TBF) flight model is bugged.

Check this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...3/m/6191055925

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil_K:
    F4U (& TBF) flight model is bugged.

Check this thread:

http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/t...3/m/6191055925 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thats for the AI...they do seem to have trouble compensating for the swing more than usual.

Icefire.. your checklist.. is exactly my take off routine. ALthough, I do not start with my flaps down. Thats to much extra drag when getting the bird rolling. I wait until my tail starts to come up before lowering flaps. It helps.
    And my bomb/rocket load is HVARS and two 1000 lbers. No Dice. And that was in clam weather and the carrier at 40km/h.
    (Paul has that hard coded in DCG because it used to work fine at that speed.. he's working on upping it to maximum now)
    The corsair USED to be able to take off under those conditions.. Easily.
    Oh and yes.. 100% fuel. We are not much of a hyperlobby group.

I think its more with the flight model changes. ALthough I have tested it in 4.071 and its still much more difficult to get off from a carrier. ( I got much closer to saving it in 4.071 with rockets and 2 bombs then I did in 4.08 but still never could survive a take off)
    Forget about it in the Essex class....
    the Saratoga and Lexington are longer so you have a better chance.. I can take off with rockets.. but its not so lovely.
    Forget it with rockets and anything extra.
    Now I do know they were not running extra heavy loads from the carriers.. but you figure you could take off with more than just rockets on board.
    The Corsair also seems quite piggish. Its much much more different in a turn. And very slow to accelerate.
    I dont know what it is but these latest changes are rather blah...
    Ive flown a great many of the aircraft through .071 and .08 and the corsair and P38 seem the worst for wear. (I fly 99% of the time in online coop campaigns.. not hyperlobby) Those two were my more favorite aircraft and they have been castrated.

I guess I'll have to put test runways out in the water for my birds to take off from for the campaigns lol

And Icefire.. you said its much more stable and capable?
    Are you sure we are talking about the Corsair?
    The guys I fly with that love that aircraft have found it doesn't want to turn hardly at all anymore.
    now I know its not a turn fighter, not even remotely close..... but any kind of turn with it she quickly wants to roll out right into a stall. Its alot more pronounced.
    And with it being slow in the game.. its ..well.
    Its more like flying a brick with a "shoot me" sign on it.
    Just IMHO.
    I need to do some more flying with it in 4.071 to see if that was indicitive of a change... I was flying alot in the P38 between 4.071 and 4.08

I think I might go test the SBD.. I havnt tried to take one of them off since before 1946.