tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    Hello

Well, it may be just for me, but AFAIK historically A series (2,3,4) really outclassed Mk5. When flying it, I simply cannot fight against Mk5 (if I do not have huge alt advantage)... (It may well just be me, but normally I have no big problems engaging and downing La7s with 109G2 - online of course). Spit always wins.

Fw climbs worse, about equal speed, has no diving advantage (it should have AFAIK), and let us also leave Mg151 vs Hispano out of debate. It also seems it's engine has 800 instead of 1800 HP :/. So please comment on what is wrong (if there is something wrong in your oppinion) in game about this topic? I know it can also just be my flying, but not only in my hands, but generaly Fw looses against Spit Mk5...

thnx

tigertalon's Avatar Senior Member
    Hello

Well, it may be just for me, but AFAIK historically A series (2,3,4) really outclassed Mk5. When flying it, I simply cannot fight against Mk5 (if I do not have huge alt advantage)... (It may well just be me, but normally I have no big problems engaging and downing La7s with 109G2 - online of course). Spit always wins.

Fw climbs worse, about equal speed, has no diving advantage (it should have AFAIK), and let us also leave Mg151 vs Hispano out of debate. It also seems it's engine has 800 instead of 1800 HP :/. So please comment on what is wrong (if there is something wrong in your oppinion) in game about this topic? I know it can also just be my flying, but not only in my hands, but generaly Fw looses against Spit Mk5...

thnx

WOLFMondo's Avatar Senior Member
    Don't ever climb vs a Spit, there interceptors and climbing is what there built for. You should be able to roll and dive to get out there way, if nothing else use that huge roll advantage to shake them off and that straight line speed, the A5 is very quick on the deck. Are you using the manual prop pitch? That gives a nice performance gain also.

clint-ruin's Avatar Senior Member
    Stay above 450kmh and stay above 5km if you can possibly help it. This is where the A4 has the most advantage over the Vb - outruns and outclimbs it if you stay in your safe zone of speed and alt. Don't engage the spit where it has the advantage, at all, ever - it can turn the tables on you very very quickly if you allow it the opportunity to pull back into a slow speed climb or a slow turn. Keeping your speed up also maximises your roll rate advantage over the spit. You get superior performance, but not -that- much superior that you can get silly in a fight and push the 190 into hard slow speed turns or climbs. That's just not what it's for.

The entire spitfire lines engine is extremely weak to APs as well - just one drawn APIT round is enough to make it catch fire almost immediately. Shoot him in the face.

sapre's Avatar Senior Member
    In the in game model viewer it says something "FW190 was supperior to Spitmk5 to every aspect and RAF sufferd heavy rosses" but it doesn't seem so in game.
    Spitmk5 seems much better plane.

Spit 5 has no big chance against anton 4 and 5 in this game. Excluding of course the ultra discrepancy between MG151 and hispanos.

Your plane is faster.. by a lot. So use it. Also maneuver at faster speeds.

If you keep at 400 kph.. you climb BETTER than Spit at same speed. So that way you will outpace him.

Just use the manual pitch when climbing.. return to auto at level and dive since you won't get much extra performance in this sector of flight... and will overheat fast.

also FW's have a nasty spin on roll axis when at very low speeds and creating AoA. So reduce your power in this condition, that will diminish spin a lot.

But more important.. NEVER engage a Spitfire in a 1vs 1 fight. you are nothing at constant turn fighting. You are better at a fight of 2 FW vs 4 spits than in a 1 vs 1.

Also if you prefer to keep close you can leave your outer cannons and MG at home and use the 2 cannon only layout. You will loose speed due to rrack (about 10 kph) but will gain climb, acceleration at lower speed, E retain and less prone to stalls. This option is only advisable at A4.. A5 have enough extra HP to compensate for extra weight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sapre:
    In the in game model viewer it says something "FW190 was supperior to Spitmk5 to every aspect and RAF sufferd heavy rosses" but it doesn't seem so in game.
    Spitmk5 seems much better plane. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AFAIK the engines in the Vbs we have are a later mark than the ones first fitted to the type [Icefire or Buzz would know for sure]. It also helps if you replicate the high speed tag-team slashing style attacks the Spits fell victim to when they decided to mix it up on the wrong side of the channel. And get out of the weeds if you can possibly help it at all.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OldMan____:
    Spit 5 has no big chance against anton 4 and 5 in this game. Excluding of course the ultra discrepancy between MG151 and hispanos.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This actually ends up being less of a problem for the A4 and A5 than it is on something like the 109 series where you only have one cannon, or even the A6/A8. The MGFF spit out 1/4 AP, the MG151/20 spit out 1/5AP. Firing both off together gives you a decent chance at ruining the engine of the spit if even a single AP connects, from memory you need around 2-3 HE shells to have the same effect on the engine of most inline engine planes.

F19_Ob's Avatar Senior Member
    Hello mate.
    I'm not at all sure I can give a complete explanation but may be a few things to contemplate on.
    The fw190 is indeed tougher and I think have better performance in the game, but not an overwhelming advantage against even the spit5.

The spit mkV has a small cannonload and soon leaves it with peashooters only (compared to later spits).
    The spit also loose the performance in climb fast in turning and combined maneuvering.
    The spit is still a dangerous opponent and a good hit even from 6-800m can do serious damage
    although it requires luck and/or a marksman.
    Its quite possible to turn with a spit for a while but since a fw cant turn fully with a spit it must keep the energy to ensure enough separation. Even If u manage to keep this separation Its fully possible for an experienced
    spit5 driver to hang on his prop in his climb after u to get as many shots at u or your direction as possible in your climb where u are at your slowest.
    Thats why U have also keep out of angle from the spits bullets and that may be very difficult in some circumstances , and I personally use the rollrate and try to squeeze the maximum of the climb, and I never climb straight more than a few moments and always try to increase the "off" angle to make a followers aim as hard as possible.
    But even this wont help on every occasion against an expert in the spit.

A good way to practice and understand this "off" angle is to record tracks and that way u can always determine if u succeded or failed depending on your own actions.
    Try also to calculate how much depended on your opponents skill level. Was he a rookie, average or expert? Have u given the opponent enough credit for his skill? I wasnt able to do that before I learned to examine my tracks in detail.
    Also count in who had the advantage in speed, altitude or angle.
    Many times U can have the altitude and speed but the enemy below u manage to point his guns at U first.
    So there are a big number of situations where
    an advantage can turn to the opposit depending on slight miscalculation and even just bad luck and even experienced can fail.
    One difference between inexperienced and experienced is that the latter can recover from their mistakes and also know and recognize situations and can think ahead and act on them more effectively. This increases survivability alot.
    Experience do not guarantee survival and the plane u fly has lots to do with it.
    A Fw190 can be untouchable for many planes with worse performance and even the fw190 outurns a hurricane in high speeds because it can declerate faster and have more responsive elevators, and just fly away from it if ended up slow, but if a hurricane 2c manage to point its four cannons against an enemy it can win although it never can leave or chase the fw190 nor 109 at will.

I do not all know your skill level and do not know if u have examined the battles as described above, but I have done that for many years now and I must say that this have given me great insight and experience and still do.
    This have enabled me to survive against fw190 and 109 in crappy planes like the heavy double seat il-2 and even score multiple kills against these on frequent basis although I have been shot down even more frequently in this babe.

So ... dont get worked up about getting shot down by a spit now and then, since even a hurri or il-2 may be able to do it.
    Some days U just have bad luck or are'nt enough concentrated.

cheers

robban75's Avatar Senior Member
    Has anyone ever managed to reach these speeds in the Fw 190A-4 in-game?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... Last ►►