View Poll Results: Would enhance the near perfection of FB as a sim as far as it's viewing system goes.

I for one thi

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Transparent cockpit bars

12 22.22%
  • Removeable cockpit bars

0 0%
  • Left-Right Up-Down head movement

26 48.15%
  • Transparent cockpits

0 0%
  • Leave the viewing system as it is

16 29.63%
    Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member

Bearcat99's Avatar Senior Member

Arcadeace's Avatar Senior Member
    I would say transparent bars. It'll be interesting to see how its done in BoB. I bet the whining will be with us untill flat screen play is history.

Fehler's Avatar Senior Member
    I really like the idea of up/down/right/left head movement. I think it simulates the real movement of a person's head.

The transparent bars would be a second choice, but the problem I see with that is "Looking down". A person can tilt his head and look over the side of the cockpit. Would we then also make the first few virtual inches of the cockpit framing transparent? That would be silly looking.

So, that brings me back to the head tilting thing. I love the cockpits in this game. They are probably the number one selling point of the sim, even above the FM's and DM's. Some of the pits, especially the later ones are breath taking.

As a matter of fact, let me salute all you developers that make these wonderful works of art. Looking at the earlier pits, you have all grown in knowledge and ability to an astounding level. Some of the pits look totally real!

http://webpages.charter.net/cuda70/9JG54.html

madsarmy's Avatar Senior Member
    I voted for leave it as it is. You have the option of cockpit off or on.
    If they put transparent cockpit bars in BOB. I hope that transparent on or off will be avalible. Part of the challenge for me is trying to shoot when the target is behind a bar in a deflection shot, but that's just my preference

"LOOK MUM NO HANDS!"

Zen--'s Avatar Senior Member
    I like the idea of modified transparent cockpit bars...some center portion of the bar that is modelled like what we have now, with some portion of the edges semi transparent so you can see a plane at close range.

Thats probably the simplest solution...

I can only imagine the outcry over which side's pilots have better head movement modelling.

Semi transparent canopy sills is a cool idea too, never thought of that one lol.

-Zen-
    Formerly TX-Zen

I like the idea of the ability to move one's head about in the cockpit, but such a scheme would require even more control dedicated to it than we have now. If such a change were to be made, using a mouse or hat stick wouldn't be enough to control the veiw. More buttons would have to be dedicated to move head up, cown, left and right. Perhaps all this would work for Track IR users, but the rest of us are then left out in the cold.

This is a tough question, and I don't know the best answer. I know I don't like the transparent/removed cockpit/bars optoins, but thats my preference.

LEXX_Luthor's Avatar Senior Member
    Thanks to Biggs' battle against the Empire, we now have removable cockpit bars.

(that was a joke, see --> " " )

I vote for....Cockpit Bears.

you will still have FB , you will lose nothing ~WUAF_Badsight
    I had actually pre ordered CFS3 and I couldnt wait... ~Bearcat99
    Gladiator and Falco, elegant weapons of a more civilized age ~ElAurens

I vote for no.3 too, but like others have said configuring quickly accessible keys in dogfight would be a burden...
    Unless someone could think of something. Perhaps incorporating it with TIR? Then you`ll need to buy that too.

Not an easy situation for everyone.

SeaFireLIV...

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    I think the head movement is a practical innovation which can be fairly easily done and it shouldn't cause much consternation. People can move in their cockpits...its not like they are locked into place although I'm sure it'd be prudent to have that dynamically affected by the level of G forces impacting on the pilot.

What would be interesting...and probably impractical (in terms of processing power) would be to render a composite image based on stereoscopic vision which would give us a better idea of what a WWII pilot would actually see. Our eyes and brain are great at merging two separate images to create one continous one that we don't really notice is a composite unless you cover one eye and see how much you aren't seeing. Maybe by 2010 we could do this on a regular basis

The New IL2 Database is Coming Soon!