In other aircraft, you have to bail out. Is this a programming error?

In other aircraft, you have to bail out. Is this a programming error?

BUMP

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this a programming error? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can think of is that the visual damage to the skin only approximates the actual damage model, which is much more intricate. I don't know how they are equated to each other, but it looks to me like the skinner got somekind of 'damage-level' wrong for that particular part of the aircraft. Like the damage model reports 'heavy damage to wingtip', but we get the 'completely destroyed' visual for it?

With that damage, how long are you able to fly for? Could you land like that? Is the pilot just able to keep it level by full rudder and aileron trim and maxing out the joystick? What happens if he tries to turn? Was actually it flying, was it diving at speed? I mean, just because they managed to stop the rotation doesn't mean that it was actually flyable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Antifreeze:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is this a programming error? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can think of is that the visual damage to the skin only approximates the actual dmage model, which is much more intricate. I don't know how they are equated to each other, but it looks to me like the skinner got somekind of 'damage-level' wrong for that particular part of the aircraft. Like the damage model reports 'heavy damage to wingtip, but we get the 'completely destroyed' visual for it?

With that damage, how long are you able to fly for? Could you land like that? Is the pilot just able to keep it level by full rudder and aileron trim and maxing out the joystick? What happens if he tries to turn? Was actually it flying, was it diving at speed? I mean, just because they managed to stop the rotation doesn't mean that it was actually flyable. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It flies pretty normal actually, you just have to adjust the rudder trim a bit. In this case (before the fire) the Hurricane tends to rotate to the left (where the damaged wing is). This has happened before (also in Pacific Fighters) and I can land the Hurricane though slow speed handling worsens with the wing condition. Speed and acceleration naturally decrease.

F19_Olli72's Avatar Senior Member
    IIRC other planes can also fly with shot off wingtips, Stuka and Bf110. Other than that, like Antifreeze said. Visual damage doesnt mimic the FM damage.

WTE_Ibis's Avatar Senior Member
    Because it's a great aircraft.

The Hurri was pretty wide wings (as can be seen) with a pretty large surface area. The wings are also quite thick compared to most fighters. You lose some stability, but I certainly see no reason why this thing still couldn`t fly. Also, there are other planes that still fly with similar type damage, so picking just on the Hurri isn`t fair. You also haven`t named the planes you have to bail out of with the same damage.

I`ve seen worse in real life WWII photos.

I`m sure someone will post something up.

Roger that SeaFire, theres a photo of an SBD(i think)with much more of its wing shot off and still flying.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►