I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of 46 to arrive.
    I know the new DVD installs to a new folder tree by default c:\program files\ubisoft...... rather than "ubi soft".
    Is there any reason not to amend the install path to my old installation? I assume it will overwrite what is necessary, but leave all my skins and campaigns intact?
    Is this an alternative to doing a fresh install and then copying over the folders from the old install?<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Steph Larsson
    Vancouver's Island
    At or about L 48? 43' 3" N, Lo 123? 41' 20" W
    http://www.stephsdigitals.com

DuxCorvan's Avatar Senior Member
    I think you can do so, but it's true, at least for me, than successive "hammering" of files in the old game path have sometimes resulted in poorer performance -stutters, etc.- that disappeared when I did a fresh install.

Your skins are easy to move -just move the skin folder into the new path: all new skins won't be touched while the old ones will be copied or -if extant- overwritten.

Your campaigns are more or less lost anyway. New versions usually mess with things related to them, and while playable, they sometimes get "messy", specially with touchy handcrafted FMB created missions, which accuse changes in FM and AI behavior, or object lists.

But I think what you're proposing is possible.

What concerns me most is that my "The Last Days" campaigns are still available........<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

Steph Larsson
    Vancouver's Island
    At or about L 48? 43' 3" N, Lo 123? 41' 20" W
    http://www.stephsdigitals.com

Skycat_2's Avatar Senior Member
    I'd assume that it simply copies everything on the CD to whatever folder you tell it to copy to. Your campaigns and .ini settings will probably be overwritten if you install to your current folder; also, modified DGen files (like GregSM's enhanced Eastern Front and TruePacific) will be reverted to original. And if you have modified the stock medals and pilot portraits they'll be original again. And the DGen.exe is a version older than what has been floating around through the community.

Mostly, though, if you make a backup of your User folder and your conf.ini and probably your entire DGen folder, you should be able to keep your campaigns. If you are serious about overwriting to the "Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles" folder, just add an "_orig" to the name of your current User and DGen folders and to your conf.ini file.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IL-2/FB/AEP/PF FAQs * Nutcase's Full Mission Builder tutorials * Lowengrin's DCG * Downloads at Netwings
    UbiSoft Customer Solution Center: Pacific Fighters * CombatAce.com * Hyperlobby * UberDemon UQMG * <A HREF="http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/26310365/m/9901017394" TARGET=_blank>
    I mapped my keyboard controls so they're easier to remember, and added user- defined commands</A>