I hosted a dogfight game and a friend and me tested the damage profile of these aircrafts.
    Crimea map full realism except speed bar and 50% fuel.

We landed on a neutral airfield and the fighter turned its six o€clock at either a HE-111, either a SBD-5 1943.

I was the rear- nose gunner and my friend placed his a/c in position approximately 100 m away. After every shooting the gunner checked how many hits he scored.

As far as I know the He-111 got a 20 mm in its nose, and the DB got two .50 cal in rear gunner place.

He-111 vs P-47 19PK /22bad smoking engine /16 wing collapse.
    He-111 vs Spit 9 burn/6 burn/17 burn
    He-111 vs Tempest 17PK/21 ac destroyed(Fireball)/12 ac destroyed(Fireball).

SBD-5 vs G6 (2) smeared screen 5 burning bad fireball after some seconds/3 PK /7 ac destroyed(Fireball)
    SBD-5 vs A4 (2) fuel leak, 5 wingtip shoot off / 5 PK/ (3)fuel leak 11 ac destroyed (fireball)
    SBD-5 vs D9 4PK/(3) fuel leak 7 wingtip fell off/ 11 aircraft destroyed(fireball).
    Any done anything that shows the same or a different result?

I hosted a dogfight game and a friend and me tested the damage profile of these aircrafts.
    Crimea map full realism except speed bar and 50% fuel.

We landed on a neutral airfield and the fighter turned its six o€clock at either a HE-111, either a SBD-5 1943.

I was the rear- nose gunner and my friend placed his a/c in position approximately 100 m away. After every shooting the gunner checked how many hits he scored.

As far as I know the He-111 got a 20 mm in its nose, and the DB got two .50 cal in rear gunner place.

He-111 vs P-47 19PK /22bad smoking engine /16 wing collapse.
    He-111 vs Spit 9 burn/6 burn/17 burn
    He-111 vs Tempest 17PK/21 ac destroyed(Fireball)/12 ac destroyed(Fireball).

SBD-5 vs G6 (2) smeared screen 5 burning bad fireball after some seconds/3 PK /7 ac destroyed(Fireball)
    SBD-5 vs A4 (2) fuel leak, 5 wingtip shoot off / 5 PK/ (3)fuel leak 11 ac destroyed (fireball)
    SBD-5 vs D9 4PK/(3) fuel leak 7 wingtip fell off/ 11 aircraft destroyed(fireball).
    Any done anything that shows the same or a different result?

These figures says, the spit can take more damage than the FW-190, The tempest can take more damage than the spit, and most fragile is the Me-109.
    Why give the aircraft in this game, names from aircraft that has excist, the figures dont corespond with the aircrafts they are supposed to be like.

How is it that you can compare the damage done by a 20mm cannon with that of a pair of .50s? Do the test again using the same gun to shoot down all the aircraft.

p1ngu666's Avatar Senior Member
    indeed
    it has .30cals too.

b25 has 50cals all round, a american wet dream .

it also depends where u shoot the aircraft too..

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by zugfuhrer:
    These figures says, the spit can take more damage than the FW-190, The tempest can take more damage than the spit, and most fragile is the Me-109.
    Why give the aircraft in this game, names from aircraft that has excist, the figures dont corespond with the aircrafts they are supposed to be like. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Also depends alot on where the bullets strike in the DM. The 109 is far better protected from a 6 o'clock attack from an enemy fighter than a frontal attack on a well armed bomber.

What do you mean? Two hits from behind with a .50 cal MG on the Me-109 made the windshield was smeared with oil, is that better protection what is worse? Should a close miss from the MG smeare the windshield if it was fired on from dead ahead?

And what is better protected from behind attacks the pilot?, The engine?, The controls?

Lets face the facts, the FW A4, D9 and Me-109G6 are deliberate made weaker, more powerless, and not as good as the P-47, Spit IX and Tempest.
    I think that there are some characteristics that is impossible to combine in the flightmodel.

The spit got the same construction as the Me-109 but the Merlin is not near as fragile as the German engine.

I choose the 20mm gun at the He-111 because the 7.9 MG is to weak and it would be nice to compare the damage from the .50 and 20mm, and this test was not planned. I had to land on the neutral airfield because of flakdamage and the ide of this test came upon my mind, so we did.
    Whe didnt fly, whe where on ground, perhaps someone want to do this test flying, but the ai-gunners is hard to control, unless there is a coop mission with human gunners in all the plane.

The figures (2) tells that two hits in the enemy a/c.

And notice that the Allied a/c where shoot at by a 20mm cannon, and the Axis fighter was shoot at by a 12.5 mm mashinegun.

If anybody who disagree with my conclusions have the guts to host an online server for a test, I will be happy to cooperate testing whatever you want to test.

If you are an average pilot and wants to beat the red side in this game hunt in packs, because in general the spit, Tempest, P-47 is superior to the FW A4, D9 and Me-109G6 in so many for air-fight important characteristics.

Nubarus's Avatar Senior Member
    What's that?

The Merlin engine is not nearly as fragile as the German engine?

Are we really playing the same game here?

The Spitfire's glass yaw is the friggin Merlin.

One little tiny light MG bullet can set it on fire and if it's not on fire it's either over revving or squicking with the usual severe power loss.

Nubarus I suspected this and the test showed the thruth.
    The damagemodel has made the Me-engine fragile on purpose.
    Yes whe are playing the same game, but a inline engine is not as fragile as another.
    I qoute Hog-Farm "All animals are equal but some animals are more equal than others"

Kocur_'s Avatar Senior Member
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Nubarus:
    What's that?

The Merlin engine is not nearly as fragile as the German engine?

Are we really playing the same game here?

The Spitfire's glass yaw is the friggin Merlin.

One little tiny light MG bullet can set it on fire and if it's not on fire it's either over revving or squicking with the usual severe power loss. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And looking from other side I keep seeing Spitfires with trail of dark smoke yet flying and flying... If you want to try a fragile Merlin, try flying P-51.