KrashanTopolova's Avatar Banned
    Do I really sea the sea frozen in FB winter maps...?

Do I really see PF Seafires take off with flaps at 'take-off' while mine only has one flap setting...?

Was the rear gunner in a Shturmovik IL-2 really that nervous...?

Did the Zero really have a British Merlin engine...?(some things never change).

Did I really see an ace A1 fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds just for me...?

Do I really sea the sea frozen in FB winter maps...?

Do I really see PF Seafires take off with flaps at 'take-off' while mine only has one flap setting...?

Was the rear gunner in a Shturmovik IL-2 really that nervous...?

Did the Zero really have a British Merlin engine...?(some things never change).

Did I really see an ace A1 fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds just for me...?

Yes.
    No.
    Don't know.
    No.
    Yes.

Rick

1. Reality.

2.,3.,5. A.I. problems.

SlickStick's Avatar Banned
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KrashanTopolova:
    Do I really sea the sea frozen in FB winter maps...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, one of the game's little oddities. My other favs are Emil shadows for all 109s and the missing nose of a Mk. Vc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do I really see PF Seafires take off with flaps at 'take-off' while mine only has one flap setting...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the AI cheats. If you map flaps to a rotary, you can have different positions, too. You won't see a HUD message about the stops though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was the rear gunner in a Shturmovik IL-2 really that nervous...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nervous?!?! They look awfully cocky for a guy whose life expectancy was not long for this earth on missions. Quite the sum***** marksman, too.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did the Zero really have a British Merlin engine...?(some things never change). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah, sounds or the lack thereof.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Did I really see an ace A1 fly straight and level for more than 30 seconds just for me...? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My fav is that strange rolling thing they do som,etimes and the fact that they will do the same thing, everytime, if you repeat the mission. Would be neat if they had a learning CPU. Slight T2 reference.

Point 1:
    I live in south Sweden, it's not that cold here really during winter, but it went down to about -26 *c on the coldest night I've known. When I first came here the sea would just about freeze over during the winter so that it was almost impossible to get the ferry over to Copenhagen (10 miles away over the sound). They needed tugs to break up the ice on one ferry trip I was on. It looked something like this:

I'm sure it's even colder than this in Russia.

1. Russias a cold place, besides, major_setback has answered the question with a photo of proof! what more could you ask? Hmm, were you asking I wonder?

2. Sure, AI cheats. It has too, but it cheats very convincingly. the day it doesn`t cheat will be when we have to worry.

3. If i was a rear gunner in an IL2, i`d need 2, no, 3 pairs of underwear every mission!

4. Don`t understand this zero talk. I`ve heard people say that some Japan planes are badly porked from their true top speed.

5. The AI that flew that long was probably a noob or had something shot up on it. In real life pilots had to be WARNED not to fly in a straight line for longer than 30 seconds because those that did were shot down!

You obviously met someone, who forgot to heed this warning (as pilots did in reality).

Was this thread meant to be a whine, sarcasm or just an observation?

This thread was all curiousity (which has never killed this cat yet).

1. I thought that salt lowered the boiling and freezing point of water (yes/no ?). Can't argue with photo proof though (beautiful Sweden). Now that I think of it the Antarctic, which is closer to me, has ice sheets on it...and shrinking because as we all should know it may be the aircraft that is the major cause of global warming...not since the Wright brothers but since altitude became a word in common...This might be so since most pollution produced near the ground settles onto the ground quickly (yes/no ?)...

2. It's just that the rear gunner annoys me when I roll 5m above ground. He doesn't like quick dives or any stall motions...I was curious why an airman would complain so much...he should let me do my pilot thing without question...

3. A Zero with a Merlin engine must have eventually come about from the action of US Admiral Perry who sailed his warship into Tokyo harbour in the 19 Century (1800's); trained his guns on the city and asked the Japanese if they would like to trade...

4. A1's cheat...?

SlickStick's Avatar Banned
    Love your callsign, Krashan.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the constant complaining from the rear gunner.

I don't understand your first question mate.. are you from the tropics? Are you asking if it is strange with frozen lakes during winter in Finland or Russia, then yeah I think you are from the tropics. If you are asking if the frozen lakes are hard to spot when flying, well then it's another question... frozen lakes equals minus degrees Celcius equals snow. Snow falls on ground AND on ice. Snow is white. Lake and ground is white. Ergo NO you will not see a lake, but if you fly over an area of forest, then Yes you can discern the contours of the lake as no trees grows on frozen lakes

Then if you are asking about the sea? Remember the Winters during WW2 was among the coldest during the 20th century.

If you are referring to ice in Finnish bay you have to realize that the water east of the sound between Denmark and Sweden (Östersjon or Baltic Sea) is brackish water ("a mixture of fresh and salt water) with a saltpercentage of between 10 per thousand (mille) and 2-3 per thousand (mille) up in Botnian Sea. Compare this to salt percentage in Nordic sea which is around 35 per thousand (mille).
    Thus icecover is much more common in brackish water than in " normal" sea water. A sea covered with ice is very rare from a global point of view, however this is the case of the Baltic Sea. If not a very mild winter, icecover up north in Botnian sea (northern part of Baltic sea, between Sweden and Finland) lasts for about 4-6 months, while in Finnish Gulf ot lasts for 2-4 months, and in actual Botnian Sea less than a month.

To illustrate this, here is the "ice situation in February 1996

Now the ice cover during the winters of WW 2 would be much more severe. I tell you mate, it was C-O-L-D!

The Finnish Gulf should be covered with ice (which it is in game), while Murmansk area, even though located way more up to the north, should have open water (which it has in game), due to salinity and currents with warmer water from the south.

F19_Orheim, former Telegrahist/Signalst on Ice Breaker "Atle" and "Ymer" during military service in Botnian Sea winter 1988-1989 is signing off.