I now fly this great plane exclusively online on warclouds and love her with all my heart, sorry Dora but I found a new love. I was wondering if others who fly her stagger there convergence like a P-47, mg's and cannons set differently or do you keep them both the same. Being that the guns are unsynced i was wondering if this may make a difference or not, as of now i have them both set the same, what are your thoughts on this.

The Tempest's cannons all fall under the "Cannon" convergence, so you can't stagger the convergence like the P-47.

That answers that then, thanks.

VW-IceFire's Avatar Senior Member
    For sure

Why do you ask? Are you questioning your convergence settings? Mine are at a compromise of 260 meters. Close enough to make good shots at close distance but long enough to effectively strafe ground targets and do decent amounts of deflection shooting.

No im fine with my settings, i was just wondering if people mixed them up or even if it was possible to do in the tempest.

skarden's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally posted by VW-IceFire:
    For sure

Why do you ask? Are you questioning your convergence settings? Mine are at a compromise of 260 meters. Close enough to make good shots at close distance but long enough to effectively strafe ground targets and do decent amounts of deflection shooting.
    really,you set them at 260? I'v been setting mine at 200 across the board(cept 50's which i set at 150).it seems to make deflection shooting a bit easier thanks to the shorter distance but does make sniping pretty tricky(outside 400 its pretty much no good), i think i'll stretch it out a bit and see how it "feels" since i know you REALLY love ya tempest and are no doubt quiet handy in it(and got me into it thanks to storm clouds ),cheers icefire

Slightly OT, but it would be a welcome addition in BoB if individual a/c convergence settings could be carried over without the necessity to go into the arming-screen and adjust them every time you select a different aircraft

Just my 2p

B

DKoor's Avatar Senior Member
    I never really use close conv with cannons for quite a while now... but remember one occasion when I did; I was required to shoot at target over 400m away from straight 6.
    I put crosshair dot slightly over his left wingtip and shoot... some shells hit him.
    If I put crosshair dot over his fuselage (like I normally would if he was closer) I'd miss.
    A little tricks .

Yeah convergence is really a personal thing for sure. The tempest is a weird but loveable plane when it comes to gunnery, there are times when i say i cant believe i missed him, so close and perfect setup but missed and other times i say holy cow i nailed that guy!. One thing flying the tempest and shooting that becomes noticable realy quick is that you should fire just a second earlier than usual, there is a slight pause before the plane fires it seems and for deflection shooting this is paramount. My settings are (?) for both and it works well for long and short shots (just incase my enemies are reading this). Long shots and setting convergence at say 400 or more is a waste for me because yes you may hit the enemy but it dosent always do enough damage and if you miss you just alerted him and now he knows your there. Another thing in the tempest for me is when bounced and enemy is on your six just run straight out full speed with slight jinx back and forth till help arrives, many times i did a big loop or heavy turn and bled my speed to much and although i can still dogfight pretty well it is there friend that comes in and gets me always. I love the plane because of it's complex engine management and constant trimming needed which is fun to me and really feels good when you get the enemy down sign. 90%PP and 95% power + WEP and rads closed is great for speed and no overheat and 95%PP when i need just a little more juice and she moves fast. We have hooked up a few times DKOOR online and next time get on comms and we will fly together, DEY_BLACK_USA is my feared name...lol.

I usually have it at 225m, but this applies to everything I fly, for the most part. On occasion I might go up to 300m if I'm doing some dedicated ground attack stuff. I used to stagger the P-47 guns, but I found that I get quicker kills with less ammo usage if I use a matching convergence and fire in range.