CHDT's Avatar Senior Member
    Hi all,

One of the most boring things with online servers is to play on servers on which a team is just staying on its own airbase, under the protection of the AA defence.

Especially, on large maps: you travel during 15 minutes to go to the enemy airbase, just to be shot down by the Flak or by ten enemy aircrafts staying together like shy rabbits.

Wouldn't it be possible to make an exclusion zone around the airbases (for instance 5 kilometers) on which the kills won't bring any points.

THis would solve this boring problem and also bring a much more realistic game: the aircrafts would start, leave their airbase and fly their mission, not just staying without any tactical justification on their homebase.

So as a resume: no points for kills over airbases.

Cheers,

Hi all,

One of the most boring things with online servers is to play on servers on which a team is just staying on its own airbase, under the protection of the AA defence.

Especially, on large maps: you travel during 15 minutes to go to the enemy airbase, just to be shot down by the Flak or by ten enemy aircrafts staying together like shy rabbits.

Wouldn't it be possible to make an exclusion zone around the airbases (for instance 5 kilometers) on which the kills won't bring any points.

THis would solve this boring problem and also bring a much more realistic game: the aircrafts would start, leave their airbase and fly their mission, not just staying without any tactical justification on their homebase.

So as a resume: no points for kills over airbases.

Cheers,

I forgot: this simple solution would also spoil a lot the easy joy of the vulchers

Cheers,

Uh,come on restriction is not a good way to tech pilots how to fight.
    In my opinion, there is always a chance to score a kill even over enemy airbase.If there is a horde of shy-but-biting rabbits, just pick one in 700kmh and zoom out..Wait a while...Then take second...if there are enough of hunters, you are going to pick the one by one.
    Proper using of tactics is the skill.

I didn't say "no kills on airbase", I said "no points for kills on airbase"

Btw, of course this could stay as an option for the host.

I simply think it could be an easy way to see players flying in a more realistic way: not staying fixed on their homebases, but flying over the map to find ground or air targets.

Cheers,

MandMs's Avatar Banned
    It is rather boring on a server that has no opposing EA. If the campers refuse to leave the security blanket of their AA, then say bye-bye server for there are sure to be more daring pilots on others.

Now I don't mind a CAP of a couple of a/c to stop vulching.

I eat the red ones last.

Looking at it the other way...

I was on a server the other night and someone was complaining that we were camping above our air base for AA protection...

Well, There were enemy aircraft over our airbase... So should I fly off looking for other targets or should I take care of the target that is before me?? Well, as you can guess, more and more emeny planes would come and the team I was one never had a chance to move away from our own air base... (trying to take care of vulchers) As a result we got called campers...

The above happens most often when the opposing bases are too close together.

I do see your point though. I guess boom and zoom like the other poster said, or try to draw them away. Or for up a bomber attack and take out the AA guns. Then have a hay day with them. Or Don't attack and draw them out. They will have to get bord sooner or later...

SE_Aetos

The main problem, online, even in coops or on scripted servers, is that the aircrafts fly with no real mission to do.

In real life, an aircraft usually starts from its airbase, as a part of a organized aerial group, with a planified flightroad and a mission to accomplish.

Online, what do you see? Airbase campers or aircrafts starting isolated and flying everywhere on the map without a real mission.

FB is a great game like Half-Life. It it could be possible to transform it with more rules like Counter-Strike, it would become a more realistic, a more interesting and simply an even greater game.

Cheers,

Keep in mind it's not really considered vulching if the enemy are over their base staying there. Vulching is when the enemy stays over your base for the easy kills.

Hi,

now don't get this wrong, but what do you expect when you're attacking a protected airfield..

In our games we usually tend to have lot's of AAA around the airbase for obvious reasons.
    In case a vulcher comes along he's free to proceed if he can persuade the 8-10 AAA guns (50% small calibre) to let him pass. After that he's free to vulch since he, honestly, deserved it.

Now if you know that the enemy base is protected AND in addition there're guys sitting around, using the AAA as a Early Warning and Damaging Radar for the fun of having easy kills there're two solutions:

1) (the obvious one) DON'T GO THERE ! Wait until they get bored. In online games (where I was called an (no joke) "Unprofessional" Missionmaker because the airbases were 15 minutes away from each other) most kids fly for pure DF crap (calling themselves aces in LAs, yak3s and zeros) . So if you stay away from their base, chances are high they get BORED, and start to come after you.

2) The mission is crap and that's the reason why a lot of players prefer scripted servers where killing ground targets at a certain position will win you the game (earning you confidence and maybe even pts if interested..)

I must say that I actually enjoy doing attack runs on airbases which are heavily defended in order to first knock out the AAA (even if having casualities) before returning and do some proper dogfights over the enemy base and finally going to Phase:Omega and never let them lift off again (since they obviously were unable to protect their base properly... )

I don't think there's anything meant to be changed but the attitude of the player to the current tactical situation.

And you can't force players who are not as confident as you or whatever reasons they have to fly away and be your prey.

Sometimes using a fast interceptor as a bait can be the solution to lure away the enemy but this is to much detail now.

Join some Scripted servers (join ours next time *g*) and I think you might enjoy it.

Salute !